Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th July 2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Cakszz

Default Mandau Sanaman Mantikei mix with Djangkarang

Hi gents,
I am newbi.. I am originally Dayak from Central Kalimantan (Dayak Ngaju). For admin thanks for accepting me in this forum.. I found so much valuable information about tribal weaponry, particularly Mandau. And I am just collecting several mandau for myself. My great grandfather used to be known as blacksmith of Mandau, yet, none of his descendants now inherit his skills.
In central Kalimantan, the famous materials of Mandau only come from 2 kinds of stone:

1. Sanaman Mantikei (Stone of Mantikei)
Normally Mandau made from this kind of stone never has smooth shape, seems like pitted but it’s not. This Mandau can be bent, normally by rub it with “daun sirih” (you may believe it or not but I’ve seen it). This kind of Mandau cannot be used to cut soft object such banana trees as it will be bent, but if it used to cut hard object it will cut.

2. Sanaman Lampang (floating stone)
This is very oddand very rare people have it nowadays. This kind of metal can float on water. I personally have not seen it, but my grandfather had seen it. According to the legend this stone was stolen/given from spiritual world. Our late governor Tjilik Riwut has one of Sanaman Lampang Mandau and now is kept in capitol building.

According to my grandfather story, back in times, when blacksmith wanted to forge Mandau, he will sing ‘karungut’ – a traditional song from Dayak Ngaju.

I have a collection from a mixing from Sanaman Mantikei and Sanaman Djangkarang. Sanaman Djangkarang is not as famous the other two materials. But this is also from a stone, could be found in Barito or Katingan area. This type of Mandau is not bendable as Mantikei.

IMG_3028.JPG
Attached Images

Cakszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 10:13 PM   #2
RhysMichael

Welcome to the forum.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 11:41 PM   #3
kai

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Quote:
I am originally Dayak from Central Kalimantan (Dayak Ngaju).
That's exciting to have someone from an originating culture here!

Quote:
My great grandfather used to be known as blacksmith of Mandau, yet, none of his descendants now inherit his skills.
Are there possibly any other traditional bladesmiths that you could contact and who might pass on info before it goes extinct?

Quote:
In central Kalimantan, the famous materials of Mandau only come from 2 kinds of stone:
If you could obtain samples and pics of these 2 as well as other ores utilized for making iron/steel and forging mandau that would be terrific!

Is one of these sources "iron sand" from rivers?

Quote:
According to my grandfather story, back in times, when blacksmith wanted to forge Mandau, he will sing ‘karungut’ – a traditional song from Dayak Ngaju.
Any chance to get a translation of this song?

Sorry for so many questions/requests but I am sure the specialized mandau collectors will be thrilled to have you on our forum!

Let us know if we can help your quest with pics from our pieces or other other info.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 03:08 AM   #4
Cakszz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysMichael
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks...
Old 13th July 2013, 03:20 AM   #5
Cakszz

Quote:
Hello, welcome to the forum!
Yes thanks

Quote:
That's exciting to have someone from an originating culture here!
I thought mostly dayak ini this forum..

Quote:
Are there possibly any other traditional bladesmiths that you could contact and who might pass on info before it goes extinct?
Yes there ara some.. that live in the upriver in Katingan and Kahayan.. and mostly good mandau come from this area..

Quote:
If you could obtain samples and pics of these 2 as well as other ores utilized for making iron/steel and forging mandau that would be terrific!

Is one of these sources "iron sand" from rivers?
I have the pic of raw mantikei and the mandau of mantikei.. but I need to ask the owner 1st whether he allow me to share it or not.. you will see how it bent by only rub it with "daun sirih"

Quote:
Any chance to get a translation of this song?
No... i dont.. they sing not in normal dayak language.. but "bahasa sangeng/ bahasa sangiang/ bahasa dewa" its kind of language that only can be understand by the basir (dayak priest).. in Kaharingan religion (original religion of Dayak).. in every ritual "balian" they will sing or pray in this language.. I can understand some words.. but not all.. if you like to see the ritual, come to central borneo if there is Tiwah ritual.. Tiwah is such a burrial ritual..

Quote:
Sorry for so many questions/requests but I am sure the specialized mandau collectors will be thrilled to have you on our forum!

Let us know if we can help your quest with pics from our pieces or other other info.

Regards,
Kai
hehe yes its oke...
Old 13th July 2013, 03:32 AM   #6
Cakszz

I have the the pic of raw mantikei

IMG_3098.JPG

This mantikei is beeing cooked
IMG_3099.JPG

This is Mantikei mandau:
IMG_3100.JPG

This mandau was bent only by rubing it with "daun sirih" - betel
kd.jpg
Attached Images

Old 13th July 2013, 03:54 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Welcome to our little forum. Glad we could be of some help to you, and hopefully you will be willing to add to our knowledge here.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 04:20 AM   #8
Cakszz

Question

why my reply is not appear? is that taking long time or need admin approval?
Old 13th July 2013, 10:08 AM   #9
VVV

Welcome to the forum Cakszz,

I have never seen the raw mantikei material before, thanks for sharing.
Is daun sirih (betel leaf) also used during the forging process of the mandau mantikei?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 03:15 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Welcome to the forum Cakszz. This is all very interesting, but would you be able to explain why someone would want to bend a blade like this in the first place? I don't see the purpose of the exercise as it would seem to render the blade useless.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Cakszz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
Welcome to the forum Cakszz,

I have never seen the raw mantikei material before, thanks for sharing.
Is daun sirih (betel leaf) also used during the forging process of the mandau mantikei?

Michael
Its not used during the forging.. I dont know why if mandau mantikei is rubbed by betel leaf the metal will be soft and can be bent but can be straighten again... Yet it still strong and sharp to cut a nail for example
Old 13th July 2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Cakszz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Welcome to the forum Cakszz. This is all very interesting, but would you be able to explain why someone would want to bend a blade like this in the first place? I don't see the purpose of the exercise as it would seem to render the blade useless.
Its the typical of mantikei, bentable yet it solid, strong and sharp.. But this kind of weapon is not good to cut soft material such banana trees it only good to cut hard material such bones or nails that why this typical mandau is onky use for war or headhunting...

For working we call it pisau ambang.. Looks like mandau but its different.. From material, tatahan... So some people would be wrong to identify mandau or ambang...
Old 13th July 2013, 04:51 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakszz
Its the typical of mantikei, bentable yet it solid, strong and sharp.. But this kind of weapon is not good to cut soft material such banana trees it only good to cut hard material such bones or nails that why this typical mandau is onky use for war or headhunting...

For working we call it pisau ambang.. Looks like mandau but its different.. From material, tatahan... So some people would be wrong to identify mandau or ambang...
Sorry to be insistent, but you didn't really answer my question. WHY would you want to rub betel leaves on the blade and bend it like this? What purpose could that serve even if you can bend it back?
You have also written that this type of weapon is not good for cutting soft materials, but is used for headhunting and because it cuts bone well. But there is quite a bit of soft flesh before you get to the bone that the blade must cut through first so this does not really make sense to me.
You have mentioned that the pisau ambang looks like a mandau, but it is different. Could you explain how it is different so that we would be able to recognize those differences. Thanks much!
Old 13th July 2013, 06:05 PM   #14
ariel

From my high school chemistry class ( long ago, alas!), the only metal capable of floating on water is lithium. And it oxidized immediately.
Sodium and potassium in metallic form also are slightly lighter than water, but totally unsuitable for forming blades or other objects. .

Also, here is one of the processes suitable to obtain metallic lithium.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2062993_obtain-lithium.html

Doubt very much that Dyaks possessed enough knowledge :-)

Thus, the "floating mandau" story sounds like a fairy tale to me.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Battara
EAAF Staff

This may be true Ariel, it don't forget that a lot of stories and traditions grow around a lot of our weaponry.

Let's see what his are from his background.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 10:07 PM   #16
kai

Quote:
why my reply is not appear? is that taking long time or need admin approval?
Thanks for all your answers!

Yes, posts of new members need moderators' approval. This is a bit annoying since the discussion moves on while your replies only show up later and may even get overlooked if a thread is really busy. Please bear with us though since this also helps to protect the forum. After a while you'll get freed out off this quarantine mode - maybe contact a mod when you believe you've proven yourself...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 08:14 AM   #17
Cakszz

Quote:
Sorry to be insistent, but you didn't really answer my question. WHY would you want to rub betel leaves on the blade and bend it like this? What purpose could that serve even if you can bend it back?
You have also written that this type of weapon is not good for cutting soft materials, but is used for headhunting and because it cuts bone well. But there is quite a bit of soft flesh before you get to the bone that the blade must cut through first so this does not really make sense to me.
You have mentioned that the pisau ambang looks like a mandau, but it is different. Could you explain how it is different so that we would be able to recognize those differences. Thanks much!
Oke actually mantikei property is bentable.. betel just to make it more flexible.. it might be chemical reaction caused by betel sap to this metal.. I dont know..
I dont know very sure how it was used in "asang kayau era" - headhunting era.. I just realize my grandfather own one of authentic mantikei.. but now its with my brother in Kalimantan.. I havent seen it.. or try to bent it.. I need to ask my grandfather to gather all information.. as his grandfather was the last headhunters.. we were stop head hunting after Tombang Anoi declartaion in year 1893.. a meeting of all Dayak tribes in Tumbang Anoi, central kalimantan.. and issued 96 laws to stop beheadings, slavery etc...

Pisau ambang is normaly made frol low quality of metal.. thats why some mandau made form gears ect.. because its called ambang.. but original mandau is made from high quality "batu gunung" as my picture previously.. and real mandau need rituals.. thats why takes months to make a mandau.. and the differents also on its "tatahan" - motives on blade
Old 14th July 2013, 08:18 AM   #18
Cakszz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
From my high school chemistry class ( long ago, alas!), the only metal capable of floating on water is lithium. And it oxidized immediately.
Sodium and potassium in metallic form also are slightly lighter than water, but totally unsuitable for forming blades or other objects. .

Also, here is one of the processes suitable to obtain metallic lithium.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2062993_obtain-lithium.html

Doubt very much that Dyaks possessed enough knowledge :-)

Thus, the "floating mandau" story sounds like a fairy tale to me.
Honestly I dont have this mandau.. because typically it will be kept in family circle.. I know one that has.. I really want to buy it... but his father still dont want to release it..

I dont know this material.. but my grandfather said it yellowiss color.. and it will floating on water.. our governor has it anjd still kept in capitol house of central borneo.. I havent found any literature said about this mandau.. and also because many of those items have been destroy or burn in the name of religion.. so nowadays only veryy..veryyy few people has it..
Old 14th July 2013, 10:55 AM   #19
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
I need to ask my grandfather to gather all information.. as his grandfather was the last headhunters.. we were stop head hunting after Tombang Anoi declartaion in year 1893.. a meeting of all Dayak tribes in Tumbang Anoi, central kalimantan.. and issued 96 laws to stop beheadings, slavery etc...
Cakszz, please forgive me for assuming to inform you about your own people, but there have been many instances of headhunting far into the 20th century. In fact heads were taken in disputes with Madurese migrants to Borneo at least as late as 2001.
In regards to my previous questions perhaps we are having a language problem. I am not questioning whether this bendable metal is a possibility. My question is WHY would you want to create a blade that would bend like this. It just seems impractical and i don't understand what purpose it serves to create such a blade.
Old 15th July 2013, 03:15 AM   #20
Cakszz

Quote:
Cakszz, please forgive me for assuming to inform you about your own people, but there have been many instances of headhunting far into the 20th century. In fact heads were taken in disputes with Madurese migrants to Borneo at least as late as 2001.
In regards to my previous questions perhaps we are having a language problem. I am not questioning whether this bendable metal is a possibility. My question is WHY would you want to create a blade that would bend like this. It just seems impractical and i don't understand what purpose it serves to create such a blade.
Tumbang Anoi declration is a peace tractact among Dayaks people.. previously amongs dayak, or village we still headhuting each other for several reasons.. but since that was a milestone for a Dayak united.. as previously we dont use dayak to identify ourself but from the river/village..

Back to mantikei.. Its not we created that this metal will bent.. but it is inherit properties of this metal.. and this what my ancesstor found in ther location..

Last edited by David; 15th July 2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: I edited you opinion on the 2001 incident because it could be offensive to others with different viewpoints.