Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd March 2009, 07:37 PM   #1
dennee

Default Timonium 2009

Many thanks to the organizers, hosts, speakers, table presenters and attendees. It was an entertaining evening.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Bill M

It was a lot of fun. Great to put some names and faces together. Some really neat table presentations by Lew, Josh, Rick and CharleS.

Davinder Toor talk on the military history of the Sikhs was outstanding!

Also enjoyed Jim McDougle on "Running Wolf" and Artzi's incredible collection of Chinese trouse eating sets! I want one with a patterned blade and maybe a malachite handle!

Anne and I enjoyed meeting and seeing old friends, particularly,

Rsword
Lew - Anne thanks you again for selling her the neat litle keris!
Steve Ferguson
Jimmy
Ward
Nick
Rand - brought a truly awesome rifle!
CharleS
Alex
Avner
Artzi
Jim MCdougle and his wife Gail
Mark
Lee
David Brown
a flock of Sikhs
a few others I did not really meet. About 40 people attended.

Hope I did not leave anyone out. It is 5:40 am and we are preparing to go home to Atlanta

The Baltimore Ams show was a lot of fun. I did not buy much, but met a LOT of neat people!

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 23rd March 2009 at 04:22 PM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default Wish I could be have

I wish I could have been there, it is a long pilgrimage from Australia though and I sure would want to take some fine Chinese pieces to display too, I might get together a little display and place a mock Timonium presentation to you all.
Bill I have sent you a pm too, just a heads up.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 03:45 AM   #4
rand

Default Timonium

The Timonium seminar was the highlight of the Baltimore antique arms show weekend for me. Listening to the well researched talks and being able to converse with so many fellow collectors was a treat. Would like to express my gratitude for the time taken by the lecturers, the table presentationers and Oriental Arms (Artzi & Avner) for making everything both possible and enjoyable. Only thing one could wish for is more time to talk with everyone there, time just passed way too quickly.

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 12:24 PM   #5
RSWORD

I was happy to see that attendance was strong and that everyone really enjoyed themselves. Does anyone have any pictures from the event they want to share? Might help interest levels for next year!
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
I was happy to see that attendance was strong and that everyone really enjoyed themselves. Does anyone have any pictures from the event they want to share? Might help interest levels for next year!

here are a few

Jim McDougle speaking
Anne with Lew's table
Charles table of wonderful pieces

I REALLY regret not taking a picture of Josh Stout's neat tables of Chinese weapons. Some really great examples of old Chinese swords.

And, hey, I bought an Ethnographic stuffed peacock!

Plan to be there next year and bring some weapons.
Attached Images

Old 25th March 2009, 05:38 AM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

Hi All

I had a lovely time at Timonium and it was great meeting all my friends from the forum. Bill it was a pleasure talking to you and Anne. Steve it was terrific to see you again and glad you found something to take home. To Artzi,Avner,Lee and all the guest speakers it was fun and informative we had a good crowd this year many thanks to all of you that made it happen. Lee was presented with a wonderfully crafted bronze plaque that Tim Simmons made honoring Lee for creating the forum and giving us collectors a place to share our ideas and our collections. Hope to see you all next year.

Bill Don't worry hear are some of those Chinese swords.

Lew
Attached Images

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 25th March 2009 at 05:52 AM.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'd like to join in to say that Baltimore was incredibly exciting! It is an overwhelming series of events that surround our always fun dinner and talks, and as always, thank Artzi and Avner Yarom for thier generosity in providing us yearly with this wonderful event.

I have missed for two years due to circumstances, but was determined to make it this year, and it was the first time my wife was able to come with me. She was excited and most impressed, now fully understanding the passion that drives us all!

It was good to see everyone in person that I havent seen, sometimes in years. The table presentations were great, and as always enjoyed seeing my 'Highlander' buddy Rick Stroud , Charles, excellent display and thank you for bringing the kaskara....it was incredible to actually handle.

I am always so glad to see Lee, and I was so honored to be able to present the wonderful plaque that Tim Simmons created to be given to him for all he has done for all of us. It was a wonderful idea initiated by Rick, and presented on behalf of all of us. It is more than well deserved, as Lee has always remained the true driving force here, and I think these forums created by him, have developed into a wonderful place to learn together on arms.

I always enjoy seeing Bill Marsh, and his beautiful wife Anne.....always amazed at what incredibly eclectic and fascinating esoterica they find in the massive show. What a wonderfully fun couple!!!

It was exciting to see Phil tom there, as I didnt think he would make it...whenever I see him, despite his outgoing easy going demeanor, I always think of dozens of questions I want to ask....but have too much fun talking with him to get that serious.

Out of nowhere appeared the truly amazing Jimmy Manteris! I never know when or where he will turn up, and one of the kindest, most modest gentlemen I have known in these years of the forums. A true character and always fun to be around.

It was a pleasure meeting Mark and his son, and it was great seeing a fledgling collector under the wing of the Indiana Jones of dhas! I truly admired their closeness as Mark oversaw helping with the progress of the event.

The talk by Davinder on Sikh weapons was amazing! and I think presented wonderful insight into understanding the weapons associated with the Sikh warriors, and how they were also instrumental in thier Faith. I was able to speak with him and a number of the other Sikhs who were also here, admiring thier fascinating presence in representing this proud martial Faith.

I enjoyed Artzi's talk on Oriental eating trousse, and as always am amazed at the esoterica he focuses on, presenting them in incredibly compelling fashion....I had never really been aware of these, but instantly wanted to learn more, and Artzi's calm, easy going presentation, was informative and purely fun!! with his wonderfully casual sense of humor. My wife was of course intrigued, as she collects every kitchen gadget imaginable... so perhaps she will now be looking for these trousse!!!

It was great to meet the very personable Rand finally in person! and finally haved a face to name association. Incredible personality, and great observations on talks!

Finally got to meet LouieBlades!! It was great meeting you Lew, and fun talking at last.
Nice to meet Steve Ferguson...sans beard...so caught of guard....looks way younger in person without beard, even though who can deny the beard does look pretty distinguished.

There was so much activity, the fair was amazing and indescribable with all the weapons and excitement there! Truly, there was no evidence of all the economic gloom here....nothing but pure excitement.
One high point there for me was meeting George C. Neumann, who was the author of "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" (1973). I have used that book since then constantly, and to finally meet him in person was awesome....we talked and reminisced about the 'old' days for a while,,what fun!!

The auction, despite the much discussed conflict, was an incredible hotbed of intensity, and the activity there was unbelievable......as I saw after our event had concluded. Again, I saw many people I hadnt seen in years in the hallways.

A weekend I will never forget, and I just wanted to thank everyone who was there for being there, and those of you who didnt make it this year, I wish you could have been. A true arms and armour worlds fair that remains incomparable !!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Bill M

Gee, Jim, wish you would quit holding back!
Old 26th March 2009, 12:06 AM   #10
Mark

Here are a few more photos:
Davinder, Jim and Artzi giving their talks, table presentations by Rick Stroud, Charles Saunders, and Josh Stout
Attached Images

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 12:59 PM   #11
Albert

Post Edged Weapons of Indonesia

Very interesting thread !!
On one of the tables (Charles?) I see booklets "Outside Influences on the Edged Weapons of Indonesia". Can it be odered somewhere?
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Mark

Both Charles (CharlesS) and Rick (RSWORD) had bound versions of their presentations. I imagine that they would be willing to send you copies.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 04:45 PM   #13
rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Both Charles (CharlesS) and Rick (RSWORD) had bound versions of their presentations. I imagine that they would be willing to send you copies.

Hey Mark,

Rick had made a catalog of his display that he gave away for free at the show, looking back I should have had him sign it.... (Thanks again Rick)

He also had an incredible kukri with a fine wootz blade, fine gold koftgari bolsa and ferule mounted with a uniquely shaped ivory handle in his display.

There simply was not enought time to talk in depth about the pieces displayed there, but it was a hoot to see them!!!! (NorthWest exclamation)

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 07:42 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Gee, Jim, wish you would quit holding back!

LOL!!! You know me Bill...the king of brevity!!!

All the best,
Jim
Old 26th March 2009, 09:29 PM   #15
CharlesS

Jim,

You were one fella that so many of us were glad to see after so many years. You are always a pleasure to be around.

Your presentation was very good as well.

I hope one year you will come in a little early and enjoy some dinner and drinks with us. On Saturday everything seems so rushed!

Good to see ya!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 10:35 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much Charles for the kind words! I assure you, the pleasure is all mine!
It truly has been far too long, and it was great to see you guys again.

All the very best,
Jim
Old 27th March 2009, 01:44 AM   #17
CharlesS

I can send an electronic version of my presentation to anyone that is interested and wants a copy.

Just email me at: kaiserchuck@prodigy.net
Old 27th March 2009, 12:37 PM   #18
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Download link for Outside Influences on the Edged Weapons of Indonesia

Charles' exhibit monograph is almost as good as having been at the seminar and having seen the items up close and I am pleased that he has allowed me to post a copy on the website:

Outside Influences on the Edged Weapons of Indonesia
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 01:51 PM   #19
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Charles' exhibit monograph is almost as good as having been at the seminar and having seen the items up close and I am pleased that he has allowed me to post a copy on the website:

Outside Influences on the Edged Weapons of Indonesia
That's awesome, thanks!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 10:51 PM   #20
Albert

Thumbs up

Charles, thank you very much for sharing your survey. It is very interesting and well-illustrated!
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 09:41 PM   #21
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Some Edged Weapons With Seldom Encountered Wootz Blades

And here, courtesy of Rick Stroud, is his fine exhibit monograph:

Some Edged Weapons With Seldom Encountered Wootz Blades
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 11:08 PM   #22
CharlesS

Was hoping you'd be sharing Rsword. Thanks!

He had some pieces you really had to see to appreciate....few pics could do them justice, chief among them was the kukri.
Old 31st March 2009, 02:26 AM   #23
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Was hoping you'd be sharing Rsword. Thanks!

He had some pieces you really had to see to appreciate....few pics could do them justice, chief among them was the kukri.

Charles I sent you a PM