Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 30th September 2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Cool Taiaha, finally!!!

For me it has been the month of long things.

I am please to say I finally found and secured a Taiaha I am happy to keep in my collections.
It has been a long time coming with a very long search to balance price and quality but patience is rewarding (sometimes).
If I was being fussy , the only improvment I would want on one would be the inlay to the eye sockets and feathers to the top, though for me the size at 172cms long and with such a dark earthly patina, I'm stoked!!
Images from the auction.

Enjoy

Gav
Attached Images

Last edited by freebooter; 30th September 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

What can one say ! Old too. You wicked wicked man to taunt us so. Just great.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 04:07 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

CONGRADULATIONS ON A VERY NICE OLD ONE. THESE ARE A PLEASURE TO HANDLE AND FEEL GOOD AND BALANCE WELL IN HAND. JUST BE CAREFUL AND DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY AS YOU MIGHT PUT A DING IN SOMETHING ACCIDENTALLY IT TOOK ME MANY YEARS BEFORE I COULD AQUIRE ONE FOR MY COLLECTION. THERE MAY HAVE BEEN MORE IN AUSTRALIA AS ITS A LOT NEARER THE SOURCE THAN OKLAHOMA.

YOUR EXAMPLE DOES APPEAR TO HAVE HAD PUA SHELL INLAY IN THE EYES AND IT IS NOT DIFFICULT TO FIND ROUNDS OF PUA SHELL FOR SALE SO SHOULD BE FAIRLY EASY TO REPLACE IF YOU WANT. BUT IT IS JUST GREAT AS IS. I HAVE SEEN A FEW CLUBS WHERE RED SEALING WAX WAS USED AROUND THE EYES BUT THAT IS MOSTLY SEEN ON THE HEI TIKI.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 07:00 PM   #4
fearn

Congratulations, that's an excellent piece. Are you going to learn to do the haka with it

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 01:52 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

What a nice piece. Congratulations! Yes, I am in the restoration camp.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 02:31 AM   #6
Ron Anderson

Gav

Very nice. That is a keeper, for sure.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Chaps

Thanks Chaps,

There was a phrase used some time back that caused a lot of questions and I can use it now, "I'm chuffed"
I don't think I'll have it with me before I go to Bali at the end of the month but when in hand I'll share some of the finer detail.
I'm currently organising a custom elevated stand for it with a manufacturer and it will no doubt take pride and place amongst the other keepers.
Plenty of room in the back yard for a quick twirl too...just need to consider the dogs and kids though...despite either never letting me rest I do want to keep them around
I'll make some cardboard blanks for the eyes and see if I can have a Hawaiian carver commision me some...then I'll need to look at a non-permanent non-intrusive or destructive methods of sitting them in the sockets...but as you note Vandoo, it does just look fine the way it is...
What I am really hoping for it legible faint remains of script left on the two collector/museum tags seen in the images...fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Gav
Old 1st October 2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

I think that would be great, to put the eyes back in and restore it's soul again.
Old 1st October 2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I think that would be great, to put the eyes back in and restore it's soul again.
Battara, you have done many a restoration, should I manage to get the eyes carved, can you recommend any non destructive, intrusive or permanent methods for attaching the 'new eyes'? I thought about warming some blu-tak to make it very soft and placing it behind the eyes??? At least it can all be rubbed off and out of the sockets if ever wanted.

Anyone with recommended securing methods along these lines?

Gav
Old 1st October 2010, 05:19 PM   #10
Maurice

Gav,
Not my collecting area, but I really like this one.

Beautiful carvings and old patina!
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 05:36 PM   #11
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I HAVE SEVERAL SIZES OF ROUNDS MADE OF NEW ZEALAND PUA SHELL I BOUGHT AT A GEM AND MINERAL SHOW THEY COME IN ALL SIZES AND ARE INEXPENSIVE AND ALREADY POLISHED. IF IT WERE MINE I WOULD MEASURE BOTH EYES TO GET NEAR THE CORRECT SIZE AND THEN MEASURE THE CENTER AND SEE IF I COULD DRILL A HOLE (USE A SMALL BIT FIRST THEN PROGRESS LARGER UNTIL DESIRED SIZE REACHED, GRIND AND SHAPE EACH EYE UNTIL THEY FIT CORRECTLY AND THEN GLUE THEM IN. I AM NOT SURE WHAT I WOULD USE FOR GLUE BUT SOMETHING THAT COULD BE EASILY REMOVED WOULD BE BEST. ELMERS WOOD GLUE IS WATER SOLUBLE BUT I DON'T THINK SOAKING THE WOOD IS A GOOD IDEA. CHECK AROUND FOR A ROCK SHOP OR ROCKHOUND CLUB OR SOMEONE WHO DOES LAPIDARY WORK AND PERHAPS YOU CAN FIND A SOURCE FOR THE SHELL ROUNDS. THEY DO MAKE A LOT OF JEWLRY USING THE PUA SHELL. MAKE SURE TO USE NEW ZEALAND PUA SHELL FOR THE EYES OR THE TIKI WILL GET YA GOOD LUCK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice
Gav,
Not my collecting area, but I really like this one.

Beautiful carvings and old patina!
Thanks Maurice, I have been viewing all that I can find in NZ museums and this is to my eye by far one of the most attractive and best carved examples I can find.
Many of the Oldman collection are in these museums too and it is of the quality found in his collections...very happy.

Gav
Old 1st October 2010, 05:40 PM   #13
Gavin Nugent

Default outstanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I HAVE SEVERAL SIZES OF ROUNDS MADE OF NEW ZEALAND PUA SHELL I BOUGHT AT A GEM AND MINERAL SHOW THEY COME IN ALL SIZES AND ARE INEXPENSIVE AND ALREADY POLISHED. IF IT WERE MINE I WOULD MEASURE BOTH EYES TO GET NEAR THE CORRECT SIZE AND THEN MEASURE THE CENTER AND SEE IF I COULD DRILL A HOLE (USE A SMALL BIT FIRST THEN PROGRESS LARGER UNTIL DESIRED SIZE REACHED, GRIND AND SHAPE EACH EYE UNTIL THEY FIT CORRECTLY AND THEN GLUE THEM IN. I AM NOT SURE WHAT I WOULD USE FOR GLUE BUT SOMETHING THAT COULD BE EASILY REMOVED WOULD BE BEST. ELMERS WOOD GLUE IS WATER SOLUBLE BUT I DON'T THINK SOAKING THE WOOD IS A GOOD IDEA. CHECK AROUND FOR A ROCK SHOP OR ROCKHOUND CLUB OR SOMEONE WHO DOES LAPIDARY WORK AND PERHAPS YOU CAN FIND A SOURCE FOR THE SHELL ROUNDS. THEY DO MAKE A LOT OF JEWLRY USING THE PUA SHELL. MAKE SURE TO USE NEW ZEALAND PUA SHELL FOR THE EYES OR THE TIKI WILL GET YA GOOD LUCK
Thanks Vandoo....eeeekkkk, glue...permanent....maybe.....
I will read and look for the shell at local markets and gem shows too, I will get a few spare and try my hand at the dremel....I think I'll need that luck too if I am going to undertake it myself.

Gav
Old 1st October 2010, 07:52 PM   #14
Battara
EAAF Staff

Actually Vandoo is onto something. Elmer's glue is not that permanent and can be taken off easily. The eyes should stay on as long as you don't use the piece.
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:49 PM   #15
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks guys

Thanks Guys,

Not a product I am familiar with downunder. I'll google it and have a look around....no lasting effects hey....thanks it might just be what I need should I be able to source some shell.

Gav
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:23 PM   #16
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Battara, you have done many a restoration, should I manage to get the eyes carved, can you recommend any non destructive, intrusive or permanent methods for attaching the 'new eyes'? I thought about warming some blu-tak to make it very soft and placing it behind the eyes??? At least it can all be rubbed off and out of the sockets if ever wanted.

Anyone with recommended securing methods along these lines?

Gav
You should be chuffed mate, its a beauty!
As for the eyes.....
If you get the right replacements made, then why not fix them permenantly?
Alternatively, you could test a little silicon sealant or acrylic for that matter, won't seep into the wood and should peel off.
Congrats again.
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote