Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th April 2017, 05:08 AM   #1
kayoba84

Default Keris from Madura

Hi Guys,

I got this piece from local collector who was clearing his stock. Not much info on it's origin and history. Appreciate if I can get some insight from learned members here on the possible age of both blade and dressing, as well as origin (based on the handiwork style).

Regards.
Attached Images

kayoba84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 08:27 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Based upon what I believe I can see in the photographs, I am of the opinion that this is a copy made between about 1988 and 2000 of a very popular dress form from the late colonial period.

The blade is recent and dates from the same period.

The mendak is old, pre-WWII, and very possibly is made from silver
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Jean

I agree with Alan and just want to add that this recently made kris is in Madurese deng-udengan style. Please notice the combong (pierced through sogokan) to give the impression that the blade is very old....
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 11:04 AM   #4
kayoba84

Thanks Alan and Jean.. Both of you confirmed my suspicions that the piece is not that old. The mendak is a pleasant surprise though.

I bought the pice coz I like the carvings on both hilt and sapir/ sheath. Very intricate compared to the average souvenir grade Madura Keris.
kayoba84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 01:09 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

I can only add that it seems to be a nicely carved reproduction, which is not always the case with this dress form in modern times. If it had a sincerely older blade in it i might not have questioned it, especially with the old mendak attached.
The combong at the sogokan is a dead giveaway that this is a contemporary blade since it does not show any actual wear in other parts of the blade that would be associated with the formation of such erosion in this one spot.
I do like many contemporary blades, but don't appreciate when they masquerade as something they are not with added aging such as this combong.
David is offline   Reply With Quote