Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 28th December 2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Iain

Default Sort of maybe a takouba - Cameroon?

This is a recent addition, apologies in advance for the poor photos. Not great conditions here today.

This is not a piece with great age - certainly 20th century. However I got it because the style intrigued me. The blade is like a Guduf sword from Cameroon (comparison included in the photos) nicely forged, while the hilt is a very odd takouba style configuration with wood and what I think is bone?

I've encountered wood used for grips in takouba before, but never a pommel.

I find the overall result attractive even if its not as old an item as I usually try to collect. It is at least well put together and shows the extended influence of the takouba.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Gavin Nugent

A worthy and attractive addition Iain and an interesting cross pollination.

Of all the swords you have and have shown, I really do like the blade type of the Guduf examples. They seem to have a good weight to them and a thick cross section that appears all business, very nice to see this now in your favorite sword type.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Iain

Hi Gav,

Thanks for the kind words. I also really like these sturdy blades.

An additional interesting feature found on both I have shown above and also every other Guduf sword I have seen is that there is a presentation side with the fullers and a mid rib, while the opposite side is completely flat. An image attached to show what I mean from my proper Guduf sword - the takouba like one is exactly the same in blade construction.

The increase in takouba use in Cameroon regions is quite probably linked with Fulani incursions into these regions in the early 19th century it would seem. I think Martin was told some similar stories "on the ground" there.
Attached Images

Old 28th December 2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Iain,
now I can see the whole blade - it is really made by Guduf..... I think that not only combination of this blade with takouba style is interesting. Also the blade itself - I have never seen the Guduf blade in combination with the small engraved triangles, before. I thought such triangles were typical for "more desert" people. On the other side, they are also on the spearhead, which is allegedly comming from the grassland (picture attached)
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Iain

Hi Martin,

Thanks for spotting the details. I hadn't really noticed that before!

I guess there is a possibility for some cross cultural decorative motifs at the top of the Région de l'Extrême-Nord in Cameroon with influence from groups in Chad? Although I thought the Guduf lived further south and west.

(and of course a very beautiful lance head, I think you showed it before, but it is really a great piece. )
Old 29th December 2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Iain

Hi Martin,

I noticed today browsing through Waffen aus Zentral Afrika a dagger with the triangular motif attributed to the Gulfei. Image attached.

All the best,

Iain
Attached Images

Old 30th December 2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Iain,
I looked at Ethno-Linguistic Map - Peoples of Africa by Charles Meur, and, combined with Google I anderstand it a little, now. So, If I unerstand well, Gulfei is small tribe (or ethnic group) next to lake Chad on Cameroonian border (strip of Cameroonian territory is very thin there, maybe cca 50 kms - between Nigeria and Chad). Gulfei are surrouned by big Kanuri tribe, Kanembu and Kotoko people, not far from Shewa Arabs on one side, and also not far from a big number of small tribes (beginning of Mandara mountains) and among them Guduf on other side. I would say Gulfei are relatively close to Guduf (from modern point of view - there are roads and you can go by car). Cameroonian grassland is also not so far to the south. Also I am of the opinion, that this territory could be the west border of the occurence of Takouba swords.

Your sword combines min 3 different ethnic signs, which meet each other on a relatively small territory - Takouba style sword (Tuareg, Fulani, Hausa and others) specific decoration of the steel blades (engraved triangles are not specific for Takouba, but are found in Kanuri territory - as we can see) - and, finally, the blade mady by Guduf. Interesting piece - and does not matter if new or old

Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Iain

Hi Martin,

Thanks for looking up the details. That is exactly why I found this sword so interesting. I have to try and find this map, the map I have of Mandara groups did not show the Gulfei. So thank you again.