Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th June 2020, 04:28 AM   #1
bhushan_lawate

Hi,

I don't see there is any Devanagari script in the stamps.

regards,
Bhushan
bhushan_lawate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 06:37 AM   #2
GePi

All right, thank you for giving it a shot though.
GePi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 03:21 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

The stamp may not contain any letters, as it coulld be the sword smiths mark.
I have tulwars with round and square stamps, some of them are with names, but one of them looks more like two men fighting - so no name, but a sword smiths mark.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
The stamp may not contain any letters, as it coulld be the sword smiths mark.
I have tulwars with round and square stamps, some of them are with names, but one of them looks more like two men fighting - so no name, but a sword smiths mark.
It's true for the stamp to the right (I have a similar stamp), but the stamp to the left has letters and even diacritic dots.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 05:42 PM   #5
GePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
It's true for the stamp to the right (I have a similar stamp), but the stamp to the left has letters and even diacritic dots.
True, that's why I was sure it actually had some meaning. Perhaps it's just nonsensical, made by someone illiterate in the script. I'm pretty sure I have seen indian blades with meaningless inscriptions in latin or pseudo-latin script. Quite strange for a blade of this quality though...
Old 12th June 2020, 06:28 PM   #6
kwiatek

I think they are made to look as though they are Arabic/Persian letters, reflecting the prestige associated with Persian swordsmiths, but in fact signify something else. I have seen similar designs, but cannot remember where. Would be interested to see other examples
kwiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 07:03 PM   #7
GePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiatek
I think they are made to look as though they are Arabic/Persian letters, reflecting the prestige associated with Persian swordsmiths, but in fact signify something else. I have seen similar designs, but cannot remember where. Would be interested to see other examples
I actually sifted through my refererence picture collection when I got the sword months ago to compare it to other examples.
I thought I could not get to these because I am away from my home computer right now, but I just remembered that I have all my pictures mirrored on a USB stick that I have with me. Silly me
None of these are in my collection of course, so the magnification is even worse. But you can see they are very diverse, quite a few pulwars among them and one of the rajput tulwars even has a trisula mark.
Attached Images

Old 12th June 2020, 07:28 PM   #8
kwiatek

Thanks very much! Interesting mix of Persian and other things made to resemble Persian inscriptions. I recognise Dara Shikoh’s sword from the V&A in there
kwiatek is offline   Reply With Quote