Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th June 2022, 07:11 AM   #1
Hotspur

Default Crown Over TG Thomas Gill?

Just adopted. This example has been making the rounds. The auction in May at Morphy lists it as Thomas Gill and I guess my question is if the mark is Gill, then which generation?

The Morphy copy

'For an example with a similar hilt, see plate 156.S on page 113 of "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" by George C. Neumann. Straight tapered single-edged blade with narrow single fuller along top on both sides. Ricasso on left side marked with a crown over "TG" for sword maker Thomas Gill of London. Iron stirrup hilt with forward turned quillon. Egg-shaped iron pommel with integral turned capstan. Ebony grip with gadrooning, top ferrule on grip is faceted. CONDITION: Very good, blade retains a grey patina with very good markings and some scattered darker areas. Hilt retains a pleasing dark grey patina. Grip very good with a few scattered marks from use. Hilt is tight to blade. A very attractive maker-marked sword. DMG Blade Length: 28" Overall Length: 34" '

My scant knowledge is that a crown over a number designated the maker but in this case we see a crown over TG.

Thoughts?

There are more views from the Morphy auction this last month.

Cheers
GC
Attached Images

Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote