Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th November 2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default WAR HAMMERS for Footmen and Horsemen, 14th to 16th Centuries

War hammers for infantry and cavalry (German: Streithämmer für Fußsoldaten und Reiterei) represent another field of historic weaponry rarely considered ever; thus, the author is starting out with a fine and topic 15th c. sample sold at auction just a few days ago at Bonhams, London: 26 November 2014, lot 175.

It had an important provenance: the armory of the Princes of Hohenzollern, Schloss Sigmaringen.
The Michael Trömner Collection holds a very rare combined spear and musket rest, ca. 1580-1600, from the same Castle, the haft painted with two inventory numbers in red ink in the characteristic Hohenzollern manner: a two-digit group of weapons no. and a four-digit item identification no.

Contrary to the catalog description, this hammer of course was a FOOTman's hammer, due to the length of its haft which is probably the original. The long iron straps repaired in places should be noted as well.
By around 1500, the straps of hafted arms became notably shorter; this observation leads the author, though definitely not being an expert on this field, to assigning a wide date line of 2nd half 15th c. to around ca. 1530 to the item in discussion.
It is both the general formal and stylistic criteria that account decisively for the basic dating of any item.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 30th November 2014 at 10:04 AM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2014, 08:00 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

A definitely later specimen much related to the group of LUCERNE hammers was sold at Hermann Historica, 3 May 2011, lot 3440.
Contrary to the opinion uttered in the catalog description, its correct date line most probably should read mid 16th c.
The elongated and rather delicate overall appearance of the head points the author to that assigment; as the side straps have obviously been cut down, no longer reflecting their originally needed working function, the present haft - of inapt round section throughout - must be a replacement.

Best,
m
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 29th November 2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 29th November 2014, 08:49 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

- An unusually fine and important horseman's war hammer head, of cast bronze and wrought iron and profusely sculpted and chiseled to form three zoomorphic heads, probably lion's heads, and a heraldic shield depicting a lion rampant; with a riveted sturdy iron saddle hook; Nuremberg, 2nd half 15th c., formerly in the John Woodman Higgins Armory, Worcester, Ms.

The following information I gratefully owe to our expert Jaspar/cornelistromp - thanks a whole lot, Jasper!!!

Herewith I humbly correct my interpretation:
Contrary to many works of craftsmanship in the Late Gothic/Early Reniassance, the winding Gothic minuscule script on the socket of this hammer head does make sense:
It is the beginning of the Hail Mary prayer and reads:
Ave Maria Gracia Plena Helf Maria
(Latin and Old German for
Hail Mary, full of grace - help us, Mary).

Please note Jasper's valuable contribution in post #8!

So on this early piece the Gothic lettering still is much more than just stylized to a mere decorative element as on many items from the late 15th and early 16th c. - cf. author's threads:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ipt+decoration
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ipt+decoration

- A very fine and completely preserved footman's war hammer, the iron parts profusely etched with a running floral pattern against a blackened punched and dotted ground, the head with a riveted iron saddle hook, and mounted on a short haft; the date of manufacture given by the Higgins Armory inventory is ecaxtly correct: Augsburg or Nuremberg, ca. 1525-30.

- A fine and early horseman's war hammer on a long octagonal haft, Nuremberg, ca. 1430-50, the four-spiked hammer decorated with delicate copper inlays forming saltires, the iron straps and the haft studded with heavy nails with rectangular heads.

As none of these three items was included in the two-part sale of contents from the Higgins with Thomas Del Mar Ltd., they most probably went, together with other weapons, to
the Worcester Art Museum (WAM).

Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 30th November 2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 30th November 2014, 09:42 AM   #4
kronckew

like matchlock in post 3, i am speechless with wonder.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Thank you so much, Kronckew,

Actually it was just a placeholder and I intended to fill in that gap today, and have just done so.
Hope you will like what you see.

Best,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 30th November 2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 30th November 2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Some horseman's hammers of common type, the rectangular wooden haft enclosed by four iron straps joning at the base, the head with long saddle hook, all of them South German, ca. 1520-35.
Horseman's hammers have much shorter hafts than than those for footman's, and the lower section of the haft is usually pierced for a leather strap that was slung around the rider's wrist.

From top:
- Historisches Museum der Stadt Regenburg, on loan from the Bayerisches Armeemuseum Ingolstadt (3 atts.)

- George F. Harding Colln., Chicago Art Institute, inv.no. 1982.2122: featuring an additional sturdy central spike, the straps pierced with Late Gothic tracery, an ornament denoting its quite early date of manufactue, probably ca. 1515-20 (2 atts.)

- Palazzo Ducale, Venice, one of the earliest and finest Gothic war hammers in existence;
Northern Italy, ca. 1370-1400; wrought iron, finely sculpted and chiseled as a dragon and bearing two heraldic shields; the socket and haft of octagonal section according to the Gothic sense of style (3 atts.)
This item is very similar to the hammer head from the Higgins, cf. post #3 above, and re-attached below.

- South German, ca. 1525-35, the wooden haft completely encased with iron, and a central rectangular node (nodus); Hermann Historica, Munich, 5 Nov 2014, lot 3190.

Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 30th November 2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 30th November 2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Five more images of the hammer at HH, and of another, also German, but made of steel throughout and of later type, mid to 2nd half 16th c.

m
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 30th November 2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 30th November 2014, 02:19 PM   #8
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
- An unusually fine and important horseman's war hammer head, of cast bronze and wrought iron and profusely sculpted and chiseled to form three zoomorphic heads, probably lion's heads, and a heraldic shield depicting a lion rampant; with a riveted sturdy iron saddle hook; Nuremberg, 2nd half 15th c., formerly in the John Woodman Higgins Armory, Worcester, Ms.
As with many works of craftsmanship in the Late Gothic/Early Reniassance, the winding Gothic minuscule script on the socket does not make any sense; the letters are stylized to a mere decorative element -
Hi Michael,

glad you're back.
the text on Higgins's hammer in Gothic minuscules 'Ave Maria Gracia Plena Helf Maria'

this hammer was recently sold by christies in 2000 and bought by Higgins army museum
Christie's. London, South Kensington. 12 July 2000. Sale 8829. Lot 49. Price realized Ł8,225 ($12,436).

A Very Rare Low Countries Or German Gothic Horseman's Hammer Head
Second half of the 15th Century
Comprising iron peen with rectangular face formed as the top of a castellated tower, and iron beak-like fluke of stiff diamond section, each projecting from the mouths of two addorsed latten monsters' heads, surmounted by a lion couchant and cast in one with the slightly tapering tubular socket with file-roped moulding at the bottom, a shield bearing a lion rampant in relief at the top, and an engraved encircling spiral band inscribed in Gothic minuscules 'Ave Maria Gracia Plena Helf Maria', and flat riveted iron belt hook, on later turned wooden haft
6˝in. (16.5cm.) head

best,
Jasper
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Matchlock
(deceased)

Thank you so much, Jasper,

For both your kind welcome and for your valuable contribution on the Higgins hammer head!
I've just corrected my former wrong opinion in the post above and credited you, just to make sure not to possibly mislead anybody.

The Higgins inventory I retrieved from their home page did not provide any information on that inscription, so I surmised it would be all decorative, as is the case on many later items.

My computer is still not o.k., it must go to intensive care again tomorrow. My scanner is still not recognized and accepted by the computer - this is why I could not yet send all the scans I promised you.
That Fischer catalog still lies open on my desk anxiously waiting for being scanned, along with many other books ... so please be patient a bit longer - thanks!

Best as ever,
Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 30th November 2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 30th November 2014, 03:29 PM   #10
kronckew

i like the fisted nail ones: the dolchstreithammer.
(mine (1.) below, by the chap who made the one in 'van helsing' the movie) there is a dolchstreithammer thread we made earlier here with more war hammers.

i have a professional armourer acquaintence outside prague who makes these beck de corbin. (2.) a.k.a. 'hammer of lucerne'. this picture also shows the scale of the two handed infantry versions.

and a double hammered one very much like the one you pasted above. (3.) with longer languets.

he makes them in a traditional forge with traditional tools and materials. with a bit of his own artistic license thrown in of course. he tries to base them on museum examples as much as possible. might buy one like the beck. or get him to make one like your post with a beak instead of the 2nd hammer face.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 30th November 2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 30th November 2014, 03:59 PM   #11
Matchlock
(deceased)

Another detail of the grip of the war hammer of. ca. 1560-70 from post #7.

m
Attached Images

Old 1st December 2014, 08:24 AM   #12
Iain

I have nothing to contribute only to say thanks for a very interesting topic!
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 09:35 AM   #13
Matchlock
(deceased)

It's my turn, Iain,

To say THANKS for your appreciation!

As soon as my grrr... scanner is back to work again I will post an overwhelming footman's hammer which I photographed at the Tower of London in 1990 and in the Royal Armouries Leeds in 1997; that specimen will overthrow you and literally beat everything!

Best as ever,
Michael
Old 3rd December 2014, 08:30 AM   #14
cornelistromp

for those interested in the gothic war hammer, there is a wonderful article in the forthcoming catalog of the London arms and armour fair 2015.

As we are used to Articles written by the hand of Clive Thomas, there will be detailed descriptions, clear analyses and probably a new classification for these interesting weapons.

It will be in any case, a leading article which I'm really looking forward to.

best,
Jasper
Attached Images

Old 3rd December 2014, 09:32 AM   #15
Matchlock
(deceased)

Excellent work, Jasper,

Thanks so much!
I, too, intended ed to post that advertisement but my scanner is not back to work yet ...

Best,
Michael
Old 3rd December 2014, 05:06 PM   #16
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Pity i will not be there this time to eat your cookies, Jasper ... but will be wishing to acquire a catalogue .
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 07:11 PM   #17
cornelistromp

Hi Fernando,

I will bring a catalog and cookies for you from London.

best,
Jasper
Old 3rd December 2014, 08:30 PM   #18
fernando

Ah, extremely kind of you, Jasper.
Forget the cookies, the catalogue will do just fine.
Eeuwig dankbaar
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:14 PM   #19
kronckew

ach! bist du hollandisch, fernando?

fernando o Monstro de Biscoito

Last edited by kronckew; 3rd December 2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 4th December 2014, 04:24 PM   #20
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
ach! bist du hollandisch, fernando?...
En ook 'n Afrikaner, my vriend
Amazing coincidence that, after having lived for a couple years in (then Afrikaans) South Africa by accident, i returned home and ended up working in a Dutch owned company. But make no mistake, all i recognize is a couple words and the general sound; the rest is work done by translating engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew

fernando o Monstro de Biscoito
Ah, um portuguęs bastante razoável ... but i am no biscuit monster at all; that's all Jasper had available in the table
Old 4th December 2014, 05:28 PM   #21
kronckew

afrikaans is of course a descendant of old dutch. the dutch almost always seem to also speak fairly good english. english itself is very close to frisian, another dutch/german dialect.
google translate and auto-spell can be a dangerous thing.

you might want to say 'those little sausages were tasty' and what comes out is 'i want to eat your baby's fingers'. which may not go over too well in some areas.

this video pretty much covers the subject:

Monty Python - the hungarian phrase book

(i had a hard time trying to render 'cookie monster' into portugese. 'monster of biscuits' doesn't quite have the same ring to it. why brits call cookies biscuits i do not know. back home biscuits are unsweetened crisp savoury baked things that we put cheese on. we give dogs biscuits. cookies are sugar based sweet crisp pastries hopefully with chocolate.)

anyway, i suspect you are indeed fairly proficient in portuguese. i bet you almost speak it like a native.

i speak baby german, that is, like about a 3-4 yr. old. have terrible time with masculine and feminine words and tenses. like you mention, i use google translate to cover a lot of sins and have a vague idea of what i'm trying to say coming out the other end. i apparently have an austrian accent, which proper germans find a bit redneck and country farmer-ish. being an american redneck/country feller, that's OK. it was amusing when some of my austrian grandmother's relative came visiting from vienna, they of course were tallking in (austrian) german, and my poor granny was replying in pidgeon german-english. for the german words she forgot after being in the USA for 60 odd years, she used the english one instead. they spoke english luckily, and by the time they left were also speaking the same patois.

... and english was always my worst subject in school. google does not have 'redneck' in the list of languages.

sadly, my hovercraft is still full of eels. (én légpárnás még mindig tele van angolna)
meu hovercraft ainda está cheio de enguias. mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist immer noch voller Aale.

Last edited by kronckew; 4th December 2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 5th December 2014, 12:45 PM   #22
Matchlock
(deceased)

Two fine horseman's hammers, Germany, mid 16th century.

Please note the punched wavy snake-like ornamentation which, together with the characteristic three dots, accounts for the dating of the first item.

The etched and gilt hunting scenes of the hammer in the V&A museum London allows for dating it "ca. 1530-50".

Best,
m
Attached Images

Old 5th December 2014, 01:00 PM   #23
Matchlock
(deceased)

This fine hammer in the collections of the Metropolitan Museujm N.Y., richly decorated with cut and pierced ornaments in the Italian manner, can also be dated to the mid 16th c.

m
Attached Images

Old 8th December 2014, 02:52 PM   #24
Matchlock
(deceased)

This good horseman's hammer, ca. 1525-40, all iron parts heavily pitted, failed to sell at Czerny's two days ago.

Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 8th December 2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 8th December 2014, 03:46 PM   #25
Matchlock
(deceased)

Another horseman's hammer, ca. 1525-40, the grip retaining its original leather wrist loop securiing it to the wrist, the laynyard, is in the museum of Schloss Grandson, Switzerland.
The (rather poor) image was retrieved from Facebook.

For a tiny group of such hammers combined with a wheellock gun, please see:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19388

Attachments, from top:

- 3 atts., dated 1427: cod. membr. 8., f. 32v; monastery library in Sarnen, Switzerland

- dated 1459: Hans Talhoffer: Alte Armatur- und Ringkunst, Bavaria, f. 109v-110r;
see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Talhoffer

- a finely made hammer, mid-15th c., and a chiseled and gilt head, mid-16th c., in the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum München; author's photos
- a good selection of hammers in the museum of Burg Eltz; photos copyrighted by Ralf Maier

Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 8th December 2014 at 08:17 PM.