Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th August 2012, 11:30 AM   #1
adrian

Default Chinese Bronze Age dagger

A friend of mine owns this dagger, is was straight when he obtained it & over the years it has bowed quite badly. I examined it & explained that one side is corroding badly & that side is expanding & causing the bend.
He wishes to stabilise it (assuming the damage cannot now be reversed) what is the best treatment to do this? Coat it with wax?
Any advise gratefully received. Adrian
Attached Images

adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 06:33 PM   #2
laEspadaAncha

Adrian,

I would advise your friend not to bother attempting to fix, reverse, or restore anything, as IMHO there is nothing worth restoring.

At present, I have in my possession about a dozen bronze artifacts, half of which are Bronze Age pieces. Two of the bronze artifacts are early ritual vessels from China (one Shang Dynasty, onr T'ang Dynasty) and four more are edged weapons.

Furthermore, while I cannot attest to having held a period-original Chinese Bronze Age sword, I have had the chance to see several exmaples in curatorial collections, and to see the corrosion process is parallel to ritual vessels of the same period.

Unfortunately, with regards to your friend's sword, I see several severe 'red flags' that would have resulted in a 'pass' should I have encountered it myself at auction.

Nevermind the fact that I have never once seen a bronze artifact that 'bent' like that over time. I am not a metalurgist and would be interested to hear from one about this rather bizarre claimed result of oxidation, on bronze or otherwise, though as I understand the corrosion process as it occurs on both bronze and steel, an 'expansion' shouldn't happen (aside from possible delamination).

I found three severe concerns, each enumerated in the below photo.

First, no. 1 (shown up close in the insert) shows a clear 'ladder' artifact in one of the cut grooves that is a clear indication of a drill having been used to create this particular channel. Not only is the technique incorrect for the period, but the regularly-spaced intervals indicates the use of an electric drill, and thus modern manufacture. That would be enough for me to walk right there.

Second, no. 2 shows the fitment of stone to metal is crude compared to what one would expect from period work. Nevermind distortion from the 'bend' of the blade; there is simply too much variance in the tolerance between the two materials in any given section for it to be period-original work.

Lastly, the presentation of crackling of the epidermal layer of the encrustation (no. 3) is bizarre to say the least, and if - and that's a big "if" - it is a natural by-product of the corrosion process, it is a statistical outlier, something that in and of itself would raise concern IMO, and in conjunction with all the other red flags that present on this piece, makes me inclined to say with near certitude this is a knock-off of recent manufacture.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this field of collecting is nothing if not a learning experience for all of us...

Regards,

Chris

Attached Images

Last edited by laEspadaAncha; 9th August 2012 at 08:26 PM.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Multumesc

A dive in vinegar 9 degrees a few days, wipe with a plastic brush, washing with distilled water, mineral oil lubrication.
Multumesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 02:01 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quite a comprehensive input Chris .
This why i am awfully scared to buy bronze age artifacts.
I have had my own sour experience already
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 04:41 PM   #5
fearn

I'd be careful with the vinegar. My experience with my replica bronze sword is that it cleans quite quickly and produces spots if you aren't careful.

I'd also point out that in EUROPE (I don't know about China), ancient swords were sometimes "killed" by bending them or folding them into unusable loops.

That said, if you're going to buy a reproduction instead of a genuine relic, you might as well buy something from [DELETED] or a similar artist, and find out what they looked like when they were new. [DELETED] work is gorgeous, although it's not, strictly speaking, ethnographic.

Best,

F

Last edited by David; 15th August 2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: NO COMMERCIAL LINKS!!!!
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This item truly is an interesting piece, and most of all bewildering in being posted in the European forum usually its the other way around! In any case, it is great to learn more on these Chinese bronze age interpretations.

Chris, what an informative and beautifully written description which perfectly itemizes the details in recognizing items which are being produced as antiquities in comparison to the genuine artifacts. Thank you so much for providing this data!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote