Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th September 2012, 02:28 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default So, Trying to Etch a Shamshir

Hey all,

But due to the lack of space or any safe place I cannot have a large container to place acid/vinegar/lemon/whatever in it. Is there any safe way to etch with the most minimum use of space??

Lotfy
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Royston

Hello Lofty

Try a vertical plastic drainpipe with a sealed lower end. Saves on space but you do have to keep lifting the sword up to look at it.
For shorter items I use a long glass spaghetti storage jar.

Roy
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 02:50 PM   #3
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
Hello Lofty

Try a vertical plastic drainpipe with a sealed lower end. Saves on space but you do have to keep lifting the sword up to look at it.
For shorter items I use a long glass spaghetti storage jar.

Roy
Oh hey thats a brilliant idea! thanks. Guess I need one specially made for the purpose then? I got smaller objects covered and successfully etched one
Old 6th September 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
kronckew

you'll need a very large diameter pipe for a curved shamshir, or depending of the curvature you might get away with smaller diameter if you heat and bend the plastic pipe to fit. one with a healthy parabolic curve would require an interesting bend. you might need to slit the top, like they do with scabbards, to accomodate the last part of the blade, then seal the slit with a good water tight tape. if the curve is a circular arc segment, a simple bendy capped pipe will suffice. the smaller diameter the better, as it will take less liquid to fill it. for a simple curve, you could even flatten it after bending and thus an even smaller diameter pipe would work. i'll leave it to you to figure out what dia. you'd need.

Last edited by kronckew; 6th September 2012 at 03:48 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Emanuel

Hi Abdullatif,

Try a flexible pvc pipe, the accordion type (http://www.pravinasafety.com/pipes.html). It's soft plastic, but it is very flexible, will come in a variety of diametres and will fit any curvature. You will limit the amount of etching solution this way.

Good luck!
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Hey all,

But due to the lack of space or any safe place I cannot have a large container to place acid/vinegar/lemon/whatever in it. Is there any safe way to etch with the most minimum use of space??

Lotfy

To avoid having to use gallons of liquid just get the local workshops (the aluminium people) that make feed trays for camels and chickens etc...The same people that make those aluminium traveling boxes...safari boxes... they will knock up a narrow tray that is purpose built for swords and on a stand so its the right height off the ground...
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Atlantia

Use a weaker solution and paint it on. No need to immerse.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 09:23 AM   #8
kai

I'm with Gene - no need to soak a Arab/Persian/Indian blade for etching: This just increases the risk of corroding the surface which should stay smooth.

If it is a wootz blade, treatment need to be specialized and usually very short (seconds).

If it is a pattern-welded blade, swift wiping with ferric chloride will bring out the pattern (retry several times if the contrast or pattern doesn't show nicely). If it looks too bold, try wiping with hot vinegar after a quick repolish (by hand - no power tools!).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 11:21 AM   #9
A.alnakkas

thanks all! plenty of good ideas. Ibrahim, I think it might be dangerous trying to etch in a metal container? Probably if its copper or anything weaker than steel it would be damaged.

I think etching without emmersing is probably my best option but what kind of etchant should I be using? I have access to Ferric acid but never used it before. The blade shows some faint patterns but I cant be sure what it is, thats why I want to etch.
Old 7th September 2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
thanks all! plenty of good ideas. Ibrahim, I think it might be dangerous trying to etch in a metal container? Probably if its copper or anything weaker than steel it would be damaged.

I think etching without emmersing is probably my best option but what kind of etchant should I be using? I have access to Ferric acid but never used it before. The blade shows some faint patterns but I cant be sure what it is, thats why I want to etch.
Purpose built etching tray. I use one for immersing swords in coke or vinegar...Hot vinegar is as agresive an etchant I have used... I never tried the ferric treatment...Using a tray saves a fortune in materials as it is only 2 inch deep and ideal for the job... and avoids the gymnastics required for other methods like painting it on which as you know does have its issues in this heat ! I repeat that I'm only talking about the soft option coke and vinegar (which you still have to be careful with as it can be a bit tricky if used hot... I use it cold) agreed no need for power tools at all. Did anyone ever use lemon salt?
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote