Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th December 2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Paul Macdonald

Default C18th/C19th Pistols ID - Help required!

Hi Folks,

While I may be able to tell my smallswords from spadroons, pistols I admit are not a strong point.

I am presently restoring the entire armoury of Kelly Castle, near Arbroath, which includes one display board of various pistols -

Now that is them before restorative work, which I have started today.

I had said that I could provide identification tags below each weapon on the board, and I find myself requiring some expert help, which I hope is where you guys come in!

Of these three above, the top and bottom are of the same type. They both have markings on the opposite sides of the barrels. I did note these down, but forgot to bring them home!
They were for sure stamped `MADE IN SPAIN` and CAL .41 along with some other numbers.

Here are some closer pics of the other pistols and powder flask/horn -

Any help with identification of the pistols type/period/country of origin would be of great help and very much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Macdonald
Paul Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 01:13 AM   #2
celtan

Hi Paul,

Try to store them with their hammers fully depressed (just as if they were just fired) that way the sears are not stressed and they mantain their strength. Storing them full or half cocked will damage the sears.

Before anything else, make sure they aren't loaded. Clean their bores with a soft brass bore brush. Sometimes they have a round bullet lodged, and the BP stays protected behind same, maintaining its viability for VERY long. If something is stuck there, apply a blast of compressed air through their vent (touch-hole) with the same tip used to fill basket-balls . If vent is blocked, open same with a needle or wire, then blast through with air.

If something still remains, then pehaps ypou should use a worm or take them to a gun-smith for cleaning. Some armourers can actually remove the breech plug and remove anything still there..

I think the spanish pistols may be recent copies.

Try to see if the guns have anything written on their sides, top of the barrels et al. The box locks look Belgian...

When cleaning them, use ammonia solution. then a a fine mesh wire pad . Do not remove brass patina with the pad, just clean the steel parts.

You can always disassemble the locks (don't forget which screw goes where, they are all usually different) and clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner, then use denatured alcohol, acetone or WD-40 to remove any left over humidity. Finally lubricate with gun oil, and wax the outside of the barrels (after cleaning off the lubricating oil).

I like to use orange oil or olive oil on the wooden parts.

We need any existing inscriptions to go on from here.

Best

Manuel Luis
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Paul Macdonald

Thanks for the helpful advice Manuel.

The lower Spanish piece has a broken or siezed mechanism from what I can gather. The hammer is stuck in the fully cocked position and the trigger loose.

I`ll be working on the larger pieces today and hopefully they should still be moveable.

And thanks for the advice regarding checking to see if they`re live first!

Wouldn`t want to find out the hard way

Anyone else for ethnographic details?
Old 16th December 2008, 09:58 AM   #4
broadaxe

Paul, from my short experience, any flintlock/percussion firearm marked with "made in ..." is a replica.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Paul Macdonald

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the assistance

Of the two larger pistols at the bottom of the board, the one on the right is the same make as the Made in Spain pistols. I think the make is MENDI.

I would agree that these are repros.

The flintlock is an original C18th piece, with the crown and small GR marking, as well as a makers mark I can`t recall at the moment. It is in bad shape though. The ramrod is fused to the body, the woodwork is cracked, spring broken and the internal mechanism seized completely.

I have done my job though of restoring all pieces to presentable display condition.
Old 17th December 2008, 09:59 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

[QUOTE=Paul Macdonald] ... I think the make is MENDI... QUOTE]

Yes, a known Spanish replica maker.

Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 10:02 PM   #7
celtan

Sorry to hear about the flintlock.

MENDI: Mendiola , Basque armourer.

Best

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Macdonald
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the assistance

Of the two larger pistols at the bottom of the board, the one on the right is the same make as the Made in Spain pistols. I think the make is MENDI.

I would agree that these are repros.

The flintlock is an original C18th piece, with the crown and small GR marking, as well as a makers mark I can`t recall at the moment. It is in bad shape though. The ramrod is fused to the body, the woodwork is cracked, spring broken and the internal mechanism seized completely.

I have done my job though of restoring all pieces to presentable display condition.
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Paul Macdonald

Thanks for the help folks

Here are the same, after some TLC -

Old 21st December 2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Pukka Bundook

Ah they look a bit better now, Paul.

I like the little flat powder horn.

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote