Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th June 2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Panoleon

Default Walloon

Following you will find some pictures of a walloon sword, that I bought a year ago. I hope it's an authentic piece. I've got some doubts on the windings on the grip. They look te crisp to me. I'm looking forward to your reactions!
Attached Images

Panoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 09:17 PM   #2
ulfberth

Hi Panoleon,

This is the classic type of walloon sword, the blade and guard are original, the guardscales look good , I would need a pic from upfront to be sure.
As you thought the gripwire is more recent and this one in most cases had Turkish knots, these are missing.
In the picture I added you can see the type of gripwire and Turkish knots that is mostly used on this type of walloon.

Kind regards

Ulfberth
Attached Images

ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 10:01 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very nice Walloon! and I agree as Ulfberth has well observed, the wire has been replaced, but nicely done. The 'Turks heads' at either end were standard as he notes, but seem not often replaced in restorations of grips.

The 1444 in the fuller is one of numerous combinations using the 'magic numbers '1' and '4' which were commonly used along with the 'Passau' wolf mark, thought to imbue the blades talismanically. In many cases over years, these numbers were erroneously seen as dates.

I have always thought these pierced shells were most attractive, and much like those characteristic on Pappenheimer's.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 07:38 AM   #4
ulfberth

Hi Jim,

nice to read you again , as you well explained the 1444 is a talismanic number that had a meaning.
I read suggestions they might be biblical chapters and numbers, or other secret codes.
In any case this number is not a date, the reason behind the date theory is often inspired by economical reasons.
And yes most of these type of sword are very easy to use and have perfect balance for what they were intended for foot soldiers or horseback fighting.

Kind regards

Ufberth
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote