Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 30th July 2018, 06:54 PM   #1
Kmaddock

Default 19 th century German swords

Hi
I picked up the following, not sure if they fit within the age parameters of the forum so I won’t put up full pictures unless it is ok by admin

All swords are German with various solingen makers marks and 3 are nicely etched
Does anyone know what model swords these are and where I could find more info.
Thanks
Ken
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Madnumforce

The two with a brass "branch and a half" hilt are copies of the French 1821 infantry officer saber, the one with the largest grip being the more accurate. That's all I can say.
Madnumforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 12:11 AM   #3
MacCathain

A number of European armies wore their own versions of the French m/1821 (Saxony and Switzerland come immediately to mind), so to be certain which armies used the examples in your photo, you'd have to look at fine details. The one with the spherical pommel nut is distinctive and should stand out from most other versions.

The stirrup-hilted sword on the right could belong to any one of several states. It's a fairly common configuration, and the devil is in the details, again. At first, I thought it was a m/1811 Prussian LC (and later, mounted artillery) sabre, but those had ears on the backstrap that your example lacks.

The piece with the lion's head pommel is interesting. I'll see if I can find anything similar in my reference materials.
MacCathain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Kmaddock

Thank you both for your comments
I will take some more pictures in the next few days, there is some v nice etching on 3 of the blades. And a dedication on one of the scabard to an officer in a German African regiment.
I will revert back.
Thanks
Ken
Old 3rd August 2018, 11:36 PM   #5
MacCathain

I believe the sword with the lion's head pommel is a m/1896 Dutch NCOs "Masters" sword. It's an interesting piece, and you can read more about it here: http://www.sabels.net/index.php?opti...d=27&Itemid=18

Also, the "copy" of the French model 1821 with the large spherical pommel nut is also Dutch, but in this case it is the model 1852 for infantry officers. Read all about it here: http://www.sabels.net/index.php?opti...=204&Itemid=18

Given that these two turned out to be Dutch, I wonder if they all are, with the possible exception of the one that references the German African regiment.
MacCathain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 03:30 PM   #6
Kmaddock

Hi MacCathain

Thanks ever so much for the information you have provided
I will put some more images of the other 2 and you might be able to provide me with some more information
regards
Ken