Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th May 2016, 04:07 AM   #31
A. G. Maisey

Green, if you re-read what I have written in my previous post, I believe that you will find that I have said the same as you, but in different words.

The difference is almost exactly as you put it, it is a difference between the values and beliefs of Javanese Abangan and Court cultures, compared with the Islamic cultures of other areas, and in fact, there is some similarity between the Santri values and beliefs of Jawa, and the values and beliefs of these other areas.

Nobody, least of all I, is claiming that the keris does not have its own status in keris bearing cultures outside the Jawa/Bali nexus, only that the hard-core Javanese perspective is that these other keris are lacking the elements that make the Javanese keris what it is, and that the understanding of the keris outside Jawa is at variance with the traditional Javanese understanding.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 06:17 PM   #32
Laowang

A fine piece, Green, and all the better that you intend to do it justice.

Attached is a photograph of a not entirely dissimilar Sumatran keris (with considerably less luks, of course) that recently sold at auction, in Palembang dress, for your consideration.
Attached Images

Laowang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 01:56 PM   #33
Green

Laowang;

Yes, quite similar to mine. i'll go with palembang as majority voice here also agree with it. furthermore i went to a well known scabbard maker here and he thinks palembang is alright. went to another and he said may be another type close to tebar layar /typical malay cross piece is also ok...

none have any definitive answer although all agree it is an indonesian blade. and about the pendokok/mendak. went to a silversmith that works on keris hilt and sheath decoration , and he said it's gilded (gold over silver).
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 04:52 PM   #34
rasdan

Hi Green,

I think there is a possibility that your keris orginated in Sumbawa. I attached few pictures of Sumbawan royals from the past.
Attached Images

rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 02:05 AM   #35
Green

Thanks Rasdan for the opinion. I had a quick search in the old posts in this forum nd looks like Sumbawa keris has scabbards similar to Bugis and Malay peninsula ones.

Hence , if mine is probably Sumbawan blade as you suggested, it won't be inappropriate to be sheathed in Malay sheath(?).

Btw, the blade is now currently sheahted in Malay scabbard... until i know for sure what is the correct one to replace it with .
Green is offline   Reply With Quote