Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th July 2013, 04:18 AM   #1
russel

Default Burmese dagger?

Hello all,

I thought I would share my latest find: sleeping on eBay for the price of a pub meal! I assume it is from Burma but my assumptions are often wrong! I would appreciate any thoughts or comments.

More/better photos when it arrives.
Attached Images

russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Sajen

Nice dha dagger!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 01:27 AM   #3
russel

Thanks Sajen.

The antler handle seems an obvious later addition. I can imagine there is a walking stick out there somewhere with an ivory Dha hilt tip! Can anyone recommend a suitable material (other than ivory) to make a replacement with?
Old 27th July 2013, 04:48 AM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel
Thanks Sajen.

The antler handle seems an obvious later addition. I can imagine there is a walking stick out there somewhere with an ivory Dha hilt tip! Can anyone recommend a suitable material (other than ivory) to make a replacement with?
Hi Russel,

I personally wouldn't change the handle. It seems that it is already long with the blade and a part of the history of this dagger. So why change it?

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hi Russel,

I personally wouldn't change the handle. It seems that it is already long with the blade and a part of the history of this dagger. So why change it?

Regards,

Detlef
I too would not be in a hurry to change or replace the handle...for with this path, you may as well start building customs knives rather than appreciate ethnographic items.

Congrats.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 07:32 AM   #6
russel

Default Wise advice

On reflection, your thoughts are good advice indeed. I am not in the habit of making alterations, so I won't start now. I'll concentrate on making a scabbard for it, as that is sadly lacking. The one in the photo is a modern plastic sheath which the Dha has been stored in. That may have contributed to the rust, which luckily looks minor enough to clean up easily.

Am I correct in thinking it is Burmese? Or might it be Thai? How old is it likely to be?

Russel
Old 30th July 2013, 05:05 AM   #7
Nathaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel
Thanks Sajen.

Hello Russell, I would agree with the others...I would not change things. Actually this might be the original handle. I know the most common you will see are the straight handles, but it's not unseen to see the curved handles like this. The blade shape and fuller say it's Burmese. It would be interesting to see a picture of the scabbard it came with even though plastic it could be a native job...I have one village knife that has a portion that is wrapped with a pink sparkly plastic that was obviously part of a kids jump rope...and then another portion the scabbard band is one those plastic bands they use for wrap for shipping packages.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote