Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th July 2006, 06:04 PM   #1
The Double D

Default Thatched roof Iklwa

One of the spears I acquired last week was this rusty termite eaten iklwa.

The spear is 47 1/2 inches/1206.5 mm long

The blade is 16.5 inches/419 mm long by 1 7/8 inches/47.6 mm wide and has a rounded tip. My other Iklwa's have a pointed tip.

The binding is leather and does not appear to be covering any other material except the wood haft.

The butt is flared.

This spear meets the classic description of an Iklwa. There is just enough difference in this spear than my others to say old!! Oh if only it could talk!

The explanation for the condition is that these things were stored up in the thatched roof and forgot about for years. I can believe it.

Having drove to the battlefield at Isandlwana last month, seeing those thatch roofed huts and hearing this explanation made me think...

How many are still out there.

Now to clean this. I am going to leave the haft alone. Any suggestions for dry rust on the blade? I was going to try 0000 steel wool and vegetable oil. Any better ideas?
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 08:52 PM   #2
katana

Which vegetable oil? I prefer to use extra virgin olive oil, it contains acidic componants that help clean...and seems to neutralise the rust ... giving it a dark patina.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 06:56 PM   #3
The Double D

Well here are the results of the olive rub down.

I just can't get over the size of the blade on this spear. I looked around for a Zulu warrior to hold the spear to demonstrate it's size but the best I could do was a gray haired O.F.

I have Spring's "African Arms and Armour" and he refers to Krige's "The Social system of the Zulu's" in which she refer's to "at least 20 different designs"

Does any one know if Krige describes or has photo's of the designs in her book?

Oh I see my library growing again.
Old 15th July 2006, 07:13 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Nice spears you have. Two real beauties. One can quickly get very tired of all the not very old over priced so called Zulu spears on offer. The one you are holding and the middle one in this previously post picture make me realise I have some hunting still to do. The Zulu army must have been an awesome sight at Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 07:45 PM   #5
The Double D

Actually the top one in the picture is an awesome spear. It is definitely a throwing spear, It has weight and balance. It just feels right in your hand. It would serve well as a hunting weapon or a weapon of war.

The big Iklwa's however definitely have an impressive look.

I'll drop you a PM to help you in your hunt.