Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 30th July 2014, 04:39 AM   #1
Shakethetrees

Default Pata gauntlet

Gentlemen:

Here is an image of a gauntlet sword, (minus the blade), that I have owned for about ten years. The decoration is chiseled, and there is ample evidence of hammer work visible inside. The wrist band is hand forged with integral "rat tail" loops engaging the gauntlet proper. I have never cleaned it as I am waiting for a blade to become available.

I would love to restore it properly!

Was the inside padded? If so, how was it secured to the steel?

I believe the blade was roughly one and an eighth inches wide at the ricasso, double edged, and straight.

But, I am interested in hearing from other forumites, as I'm not an expert!
Attached Images

Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 04:13 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Hello,
Please give some measurers of the gauntlet. How long do you think the blade should be?
Did you only recently look for a blade? In the time you have had the gauntlet you should have been able to find a blade.
I have two gountlet swords, one with an Indian copy of an European blade, and the other one with an European blade - both are very flexible.
It is not easy to see the decoration on the gauntlet, so while waiting for a blade you should clean off the rust, and maybe show some other pictures.
Jens

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 30th July 2014 at 04:53 PM.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Shakethetrees

This is something I have owned for years, but, it is a case of the shoemaker's children often going without shoes. I restore metalwork for a living and by the end of the day, I have real life things to do, as on weekends. I can't wait to restore it, but without a blade, the incentive isn't there. I'd rather wait until I have everything in hand first.
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote