Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th June 2019, 10:25 AM   #1
JeffS

Default Dha for identification

This dha has been on display in a Phnom Penh hotel for the over 4 years I have been here. I took some terrible quick photos hoping to learn more about it. It has copper "coins" capping each end of the handle with what looks like Chinese characters. The scabbard has brass hardware, the entire thing is covered in some varnish coating. Thoughts?
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2019, 06:52 AM   #2
JeffS

Found a couple of Cambodian examples in the dha index and this one is similar with simple long handle, up upswept blade, and asymmetrical scabbard that matches the blade shape. The index puts those at early to mid 20th century.
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 07:22 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Hi Dizos
http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24695
I agree with your comments about the Dha you have in relation to the description in the Dha Index.
I have attached a link to an earlier thread discussing Cambodian/Lao Dha which might be of interest. I have usually termed these as "Khmer" which nicely covers the general region. Also bear in mind that Yunnan is just across the border which possibly is reflected by the Chinese?? coin used as a pommel cap.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2019, 10:42 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi dizos.

Thanks for sharing these pics of a Cambodian darv (dha, daab in Burmese, Thai). This one seems to have some age, dating back at least to the 19th C. I would think. We don't see many antique Cambodian swords.

The scabbard with a pointed toe is typical of older Cambodian swords that I have seen. The black material coating the scabbard and hilt is a resin that was used commonly on older swords to prevent corrosion and offer some protection against the tropical humidity and rain. This black resin is found on dha/daab/darv from many of the countries in MSEA.

Unfortunately, the Dha Index has not been updated in quite a while and the information is considered outdated or inaccurate in many cases.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote