Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th January 2008, 10:07 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Banochie Afghan Folding Lohar

I believe this is from the Banochi Afghan tribe from the Khyber pass area. An "up close and personal" fighting pick (or perhaps as an earlier thread proposed, for ice or candy ) Anyhoo 11.60" open with a 5.4" curved locking blade. All folds up into the bone handle to a discreet carrying size of about 8".

Each man in the tribe makes and embellishes his own LOHAR, and each individual has his own patterns which differs from those used by others; they all have basic similar shape: A short and light axe/pick/knife blade mounted on a somewhat short handle

This is also the first one I have ever seen with a scabbard/shoulder holster. I always wondered how they were carried.

A dangerous and effective weapon in an experienced hand.

I have seen others of these and this seems to be one of the better constructed and decorated folders.

Your comments?

In the "Shoulder Holster"

Still Folded

Hilt unfolded

Blade unfolded and ready for action!

Closeup of handle. Projection should keep it from slipping during use.

Blade is wicked sharp

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 5th January 2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 11:22 PM   #2
BBJW

Smile

Nice one. I have a very similar one, but no shoulder holster. This is not for chipping ice or candy. These were also very popular with the "Afghan Navy".

Cheers
bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 04:02 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJW
Nice one. I have a very similar one, but no shoulder holster. This is not for chipping ice or candy. These were also very popular with the "Afghan Navy".

Cheers
bbjw
Oh oh!!!
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 05:46 AM   #4
Ferguson

Hi Bill,
I have one and love it. I'd love to have one of the fixed type. I always suspected that the folding ones were made to sell to westerners. Don't have a bit of evidence of that, just a feeling. But it would be a formidable weapon.

Steve

Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

That looks rather like a holster for a small pistol. I am still of the nomad camp kitchen equipment opinion. A folded weapon in a quick draw holster seems rather a contradiction unless you throw it unopened at your enemy. Perhaps the holster came from an Afghan Navy Colt.

These interpretations of objects are bound to happen. I and many others have a food masher sold as a club which would also make an effective weapon. In a previous thread about these the kitchen object seemed to be confirmed by the horses mouth so to speak.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As Tim has noted, the interpolation of implement or tool and weapon has existed from time immemorial, and each has found use as the other in countless examples.
I'm really glad that Bill has posted this interesting example of the elusive item termed the 'lohar'. Over many years, as many discussions have failed to make any determinations on the history or actual use of these unusual pickaxe type items. The only real reference to them is the now venerable chestnut from Stone:
"LOHAR: A small pick used in the place of a sword by the Banochie, a Khyber tribe. Each man makes his own and decorates the handle with inlays of silver and brass. Each individual has his own patterns which differ from those used by others, though all are similar". (pp.418-19)

Actually the term 'Banochie' refers to the Bannuchi, a tribe who were among earliest inhabitants of the Bannu District now part of Pakistan in Northwest Frontier province. These regions, as most will probably agree, reflect intense geopolitical and tribal flux that has continued for more than centuries, and the term Bannuchi is broadly applied to many of the tribal people in these regions. Locally of course, ancestry is recognized more specifically and to descent from specific tribal progenitors.

I believe that the early forms of these 'lohar' were small, fixed blade weapons that recall other hafted weapons such as the Indian zaghnal, which quite plausibly may have descended from early forms of Chinese dagger axe. These weapons of course were among the considerable elements of culture that diffused to the west along the Silk Road.
The early Bannuchi were eventually a pastoral people, and inhabited regions near Kurram and Tochi rivers, and with this of course suggesting use of implements that might be of this form. As is often the case, and as previously noted, weapons are often designed from tools or agricultural implements, as thier effectiveness in form is typically established by thier opportune use for both. Perhaps, the weapon form of such an implement might have been fashioned to be used as a weapon, and with the emphasis on the geometric symbolism, there may have been a ceremonial application as well.

The term lohar has often come to mind as well, and actually comes from a Hindi term for iron, as this group of people are itinerant blacksmiths of these regions. It would seem quite possible that these smiths, who are known for repairing and making agricultural implements, may well have been the source for the 'lohar' term in these small pickaxe form weapons. To me, it would seem unlikely that all individuals of a tribe or group would have the tools, skills or means of fashioning and decorating these items as suggested by Stone. They might however, commission such axes to be made by the Lohar, and as commonly seen, the term became vernacular for the weapon.

As for the use of these axes, I would suggest that they may well have been used as weapons in the 19th century, and as Stone has noted, in lieu of the sword. Ordinary tribesmen typically had no means for owning such weapons as swords, and since they could not easily conceal them, nor the skills in swordsmanship, they probably preferred a weapon they were comfortable and confident in using. The shape of this bladed axe would lend itself well to the penetration of the thick folds of the turban, as well as the grim thought of hamstringing of either mounted horsemen or thier horses. I do not think these were a widely used weapon form, as they obviously are not represented in armouries, nor have they been noted in the narratives as far as I know.

The more modern examples of the lohar, which seem consistantly to be of the folding form as seen here, are as noted in previous discussions, unlikely for use as weapons. As always, surely they could be used as such, but seem intended more for utility. The motif seen on these seem to typically carry certain geometrics, particularly the circled dot, well known on ivory or bone grips of weapons in many Central Asian regions, especially Afghanistan. It seems this simple form is of course well known in other spheres as well, but not quite as consistantly as the Afghan and NW Frontier regions. The repeated 'X's and the + are motifs that represent typically the four cardinal directions, and the combinations of these and other symbols and motif are more likely to represent either amuletic or other traditional meaning than applying to individuals.

I hope that this review of my personal observations and opinions on these curious weapons will be of interest, and as always, I look forward to those of others.

With all best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 11:28 PM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default Nice item Bill

Hi Bill,

Nice item you have there, I have seen many over my years of collecting but never went out on limb to buy one even though I am always fasinated by weapons of the unusual. I have seen an identical pair before and as these folding "axes" resemble the japanese martial arts weapon the kama, I wonder if fighting styles are similar too.

Apart from protection, do you think they have anyother use? Having never held one, would be suitable to hold a mans weight if he was to use these as an aid to climbing mountain regions, just to get that little extra reach if needed?

All ways a pleasure to view item of your collections.

best regards

Gavin
Australia
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 11:49 PM   #8
BBJW

Gavin- I have a non folding one as well and it would support a man's weight, but I'm sure that was not the intended purpose.
Cheers
bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 02:30 AM   #9
Bill M

Anyone have any history on these?

All I know is that the seller called mine "antique."
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote