Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th October 2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Miguel

Default Indian Tegha

Hi Everyone,
I have had this item for some time but have never really known what its real use. It certainly could be used as a weapon if the user was strong enough to wield it but I doubt that this was its use because of the decoration on the blade comprising of what appear to be Hindu Deities, script, foliage and a tableau on either side of the blade showing three raised figures in brass. The hilt is of cast copper and I wonder if this is the original or a replacement for a previous iron hilt. My inclination is to think that the item was for ceremonial or religious use. The overall length of the item is 36 ins with a bade length of 29 ins and width of 3.25 ins. Your comments would be appreciated, thank you.
Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 11:50 AM   #2
ALEX

Miguel,
I also think it is a ceremonial sword, and the original iron hilt was replaced.
HERE is similarly decorated blade on straight Khanda sword from the time when I thought I found something special It is also quite bulky, and is late 19th to early 20th Century.
Also, HERE is similar on OA site.

Last edited by ALEX; 19th October 2015 at 12:03 PM.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 12:27 PM   #3
ariel

According to Oliver Pinchot in his text to the book of Wagner's Collection, such monsters were manufactured for the Delhi Durbar , although there are much earlier examples. They were and still are ( on E-Bay) presented as beheading swords.

Very impressive and scary concept , ideally suited for ceremonial purposes as well as tourist souvenirs .

But generally, tegha is just a sword ( tigh). For some reasons this word in the European literature was reserved for tulwars with wider than usual blades.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 04:40 PM   #4
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
According to Oliver Pinchot in his text to the book of Wagner's Collection, such monsters were manufactured for the Delhi Durbar , although there are much earlier examples. They were and still are ( on E-Bay) presented as beheading swords.
Maybe this picture had something to do with people thinking these huge swords were executioners sword.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 07:30 PM   #5
Miguel

Thanks Alex for your comments and links most informative. I had also thought that it may be a late 19thC tourist piece but if it is, its a good one. Alex how do you add the links to your replies, I would like to be able to do it as it is a great help to the discussion.
Regards
Miguel
Old 19th October 2015, 07:39 PM   #6
Miguel

Thanks Ariel and Estcrh for your interesting comments, I particularly find the concept of being made for the Delhi Durbar an avenue for further investigation. Thanks again to you both.
Miguel
Old 19th October 2015, 08:20 PM   #7
ALEX

I agree, not a typical "tourist piece" in a sense. good steel, decent quality and chiseling.
To add the link, use a Link tool in the message menu bar. The first prompt is text to show as a link, the second prompt is actual web addess (url).
Thank you for posting interesting items, Miguel! Nice to see them all.
Attached Images

ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 06:42 PM   #8
Miguel

Thanks Alex for the link info I am much obliged and look forward to further discussions.
Miguel