Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th March 2013, 05:02 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default An Egyptian(?) Helmet .... revisited???

I would have sworn this type of helmet had been discussed here before, but cannot find any thread to confirm that...perhaps someone could help.

The helmet is surely an oddball, but also tells a somewhat sad story.

I have seen several descriptions of this type of helmet as an "Egyptian Guard Corps" helmet from the late 19th century, supposedly even produced in France.

I have seen 4 of these in my collecting career, and only decided to purchase this one because it was far and away the most complete example I had seen, including an European style liner(not pictured).

Assuming it is Egyptian, to me the helmet tells a sad story....of an area of the world that had lost it power and significance...desperately trying to mimic the parade pageantry of the world powers of Europe(note the chinstraps, scales, and liner) while holding on the the more recognisable past (note the nose guard, crescent top, and chain mail neck protector).

It is somewhere between "tacky" and "elegant", but surely interesting.

I would appreciate any knowledge and input about this helmet and most especially any photographic or pictorial evidence of its use.

Comments welcomed....
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 6th March 2013 at 06:10 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
estcrh

Nice find, these are supposedly an Ottoman military helmet from the mid 1800's, from what I have read the ruler of Egypt at the time was an Ottoman officer (Muhammad Ali) who had proclaimed himself to be the "khedive" of Egypt, this is a very interesting bit of middle east history, anyone with an interest in the Ottoman Empire should do some reading on it. There is a web site by an author who has researched ottoman uniforms from that era, he has written a book on the subject, I have posted a link. These helmets are pictured as being worn with a cuirass also.

Can you post images of the liner and interior of your helmet as these helmets are rarely seen.

This style of helmet is said to have been used by the body guards of the Khedive of Egypt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khedivate_of_Egypt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_Pasha

Ottoman uniforms
http://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/crim...kish-uniforms/
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 06:25 PM   #3
CharlesS

estcrh...I cannot thank you enough for these superb images and info.

I think this puts an end to any questions about the origins of the piece. It would also seem to date it(1844 model) quite a bit earlier than I had thought.

An excellent and highly readable book was published a few years ago that includes a good deal about Mohammed Ali in Egypt. The title is Three Empires on the Nile: The Victorian Jihad 1869-1899. It's definitely worth the time....

Thank you again!

Last edited by CharlesS; 6th March 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 6th March 2013, 07:16 PM   #4
estcrh

CharlesS, I just saw the other Khedive helmet I pictured here a few weeks ago and its not as complete as yours, it does not have the original liner either, and besides a few drawings and prints there is not another image of one any were online that I could find, you have just added to the history of these, now if someone would come up with a matching cuirass that would be interesting.
Attached Images

Old 6th March 2013, 08:24 PM   #5
estcrh

CharlesS, here is something for your files.
Attached Images

Old 7th March 2013, 11:03 AM   #6
colin henshaw

The war correspondent, Bennet Burleigh makes reference to these helmets in his book "Khartoum Campaign" published 1899. Here is the extract.

Regards.
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Absolutely outstanding research and presentation of detailed illustrations and information Estcrh and Colin! Thank you guys so much for sharing this material.....definitely key for notes. I wouldnt have had a clue on this unusual looking helmet, which indeed does look like a pastiche of earlier styles.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 03:04 PM   #8
CharlesS

Colin, Thanks so much for your info...very interesting, not only in that the helmet was viewed as quite modern for the time, but also the fact that many of them may have ended up in the Sudan. I really want to dig around and see if I can find a Wilkinson maker's mark or label, but am afraid to put too much pressure on the clearly fragile liner.

Here are the helmet liner pics that had been requested earlier. Our fellow forumite, Philip Tom, has been quite helpful in trying to restore and preserve the leather as much as possible. As you can see the liner resembles European styles of the era, I recognise a distinct similarity to Prussian spiked helmets, or pickelhauben, of the time.
Attached Images

Last edited by CharlesS; 7th March 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 8th March 2013, 05:43 AM   #9
estcrh

CharlesS thanks for those inside photos and Colin, how did you remember that passage, thanks.
Old 8th March 2013, 07:19 AM   #10
estcrh

One more.
Attached Images