Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th June 2013, 12:12 PM   #1
kai

Hello Marco,

Quote:
It seems made for dress a selut (jogja or solo).
It's based on the style of hilt intended for a selut. However, I don't think it was ever meant to be fitted with such a mendak+selut combo: There is decorative carving below the waved line that a suitable selut would cover. Thus, I believe it's an outsider's adaption of the central Jawa (Solo) style.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Marcokeris

You are right Kai . I agree
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Marcokeris

Strange is the oval base of the hilt ...created not for the mendak of the pic. It would be right for a ring as Bali or Lombok ring but ( i have looked some of my banjarmasin hilts just now)...also for the little selut of banjarmasin wood -gold leaf hilts. So i am more confused than before :-p
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
Strange is the oval base of the hilt ...created not for the mendak of the pic. It would be right for a ring as Bali or Lombok ring but ( i have looked some of my banjarmasin hilts just now)...also for the little selut of banjarmasin wood -gold leaf hilts. So i am more confused than before :-p
Hello Marco,
I think that very few among us are familiar with the gilded wood Banjarmasin hilts and seluts which you mention, it would be appreciated if you can show us some typical specimens.
And regarding the ivory hilt shown by Detlef, I never saw a similar piece but would posibly attribute it to East Java with a specific local style.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
And regarding the ivory hilt shown by Detlef, I never saw a similar piece but would posibly attribute it to East Java with a specific local style.
Regards
Hello Jean,

you could be right by your guess. How longer I look to this hilt I get the same feeling. Any guess about the blade?

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Jean,

you could be right by your guess. How longer I look to this hilt I get the same feeling. Any guess about the blade?

Regards,

Detlef
Hello Detlef,
Frankly I have no clear idea about the blade as well and was expecting Alan to comment on it. It has some very specific features such as the shape (short and wide), the thick and protruding kembang kacang, the peculiar lambe ganjah and grooves on the front of the ganja (a bit similar to Balinese blades). It seems to have some age from the worn greneng and gap between the blade and ganja. Because the hilt has some balinese influence, I would guess East Java Hindu area (Banyuwangi) but it is just an unsupported impression.
Anyway I find this mysterious kris very interesting! The engravings on the warangka are unusual also, the horn buntut looks Sumatrese but it could be a more recent repair.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Detlef,
Frankly I have no clear idea about the blade as well and was expecting Alan to comment on it. It has some very specific features such as the shape (short and wide), the thick and protruding kembang kacang, the peculiar lambe ganjah and grooves on the front of the ganja (a bit similar to Balinese blades). It seems to have some age from the worn greneng and gap between the blade and ganja. Because the hilt has some balinese influence, I would guess East Java Hindu area (Banyuwangi) but it is just an unsupported impression.
Anyway I find this mysterious kris very interesting! The engravings on the warangka are unusual also, the horn buntut looks Sumatrese but it could be a more recent repair.
Regards
Hello Jean,

thank you for your thoughts about this keris. My friend who offered this keris has had similar thoughts about this keris but we both are very unsure about the origin. All parts, scabbard, blade and as well the hilt are very unusual IMHO. The engravings at the warangka and the horn buntut are the reasons which let me think that it could be Banjarmasin.
I also have the hope that Alan will share his thoughts about the blade.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote