Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th August 2007, 03:08 AM   #1
Gary Varner

Default First kris

I have just been able to obtain my first kris and, while it certainly isn't as unusual or attractive as many I have seen here, I am pleased to add it to my collection.

Could any of you give me some idea as to possible age, origin, is it a tourist item or authentic?, etc

I would appreciate any comments or information you may have.

Thanks,

Gary
Attached Images

Gary Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 01:18 PM   #2
katana

This is not my 'area' at all, but seeing that the blade is quite bright it may be worth etching the blade (use the search facillity for further info), any resulting 'patterning' (lamination, etc) may help in ID'ing the authenticity etc.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 03:43 PM   #3
Gary Varner

Thanks, David. I'll give it a try!

Gary
Old 25th August 2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Bill M

Interesting kris. While most of what we see are made for tourists, well-to-do fighters or nobles, there must be some made for a common man that are still authentic.

Your piece could fall in that category. The metal work, particularly the carving on the ganja, would indicate a level of workmanship inconsistent with either "tourist" or "traditional authentic."

More like a native/village backyard forge. Looks like a solid piece that could do some damage. The wood looks like some of my "government issue" spears, a kind of ironwood.

I also would be interested in seeing if the blade was laminated. A kris expert, who posts on this forum, told me that he had never seen a laminated blade that was made for tourist.

If you are not familiar with etching, or staining, run a search on this forum. The process is quite simple, but you should follow the process for best results.

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 25th August 2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Gary Varner

I was thinking along those lines too. Obviously the more elaborate and beautiful weapons were for the wealthier people but, as you say, the common people also would want to have a useful weapon and this one does look like it would fall into that category. The seller believes that it dates back to pre-WWII but had no way to verify that.

Once I am able to do the etching I will let you know what I find.

Thanks!

Gary
Old 25th August 2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'm afraid that it is post WWII. I base this on the blade, although the hilt is also the same time period. Good luck on the etching.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote