Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd December 2005, 02:00 PM   #1
nechesh

Default Snipers

Well Lee closed the thread i intended to post this on and he might close this one too, but i wanted to have a say on this subject of sniping and Andrew did suggest to start a new thread on it so here goes:
This is really beginning to take on an air of absurdity. Robert, i would hate to see you leave the forum over such ridiculousness. From my own point, i have never sniped anyone from this forum on an eBay auction as far as i know. I have, however, been sniped by at least one very well respected member. SO WHAT! They are just swords guys, and there are more examples out there. There have always been far more people willing to kill each other with the bloody things then there are those like ourselves who are passionate about collecting them, so they will keep popping up.
Ebay offers a feature which allows a bidder to place his highest bid and keep it hidden from other bidders. It only applies as much as is necessary to win the auction. Whether someone is bidding all along or bids at the last minute, if you are honest with yourself about the highest price you are willing to pay for something, what does it really matter when someone outbids you? From the evidence it appears that Laban Tayo made his highest bid as the very first bid on the item and then sat back and watched people try to outbid him. Given this stategy i assume you made that first bid your highest bid. But i guess you didn't watch closely enough because apparently someone else outbid you a full FOUR hours before Robert made his bid. So how exactly did he "snipe" you?
Ebay bidding is a game of sorts. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. So when you lose the game, is it fair to say, in essence, "knowledge about these things is MY football, so i'm just going to take my ball and go home!". C'mon guys, get real. This idea of withholding knowledge is very disturbing to me. Like Lee and i am sure others, i was very disheartened to see the way the thread went on this subject. We are suppose to ALL be brothers here in the pursuit of knowledge.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote