Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th March 2012, 05:11 PM   #1
David R

Default Cutlers resin...fail.

Today I had a go at making some cutlers resin compound to re affix the blade into my recent purchase, an Indo Persian khanjar. Not as easy at it seemed from the forums,
Various formulae perused, but all are variations on resin, beeswax and some sort of filler...charcoal, whiting, sand or fibre of various origin.
First attempt 2 parts frankincense (cheap Somali) 2 parts resin of unknown origin 1 part beeswax. Dreadfull fumes , burnt the teflon off the pan (not using a teflon lined pan again) and the dubious resin refused to melt. Experiment discarded, next attempt.
4 part cheap francincense, 1 part beeswax. Fumes, pleasant at first then noxious, bubbles and boiling but no complete melt of the resin, exp. discarded.
Lessons learned, not to use a teflon lined pan, I think that was the origin of the nastiest fumes, and check the resin is suitable. I think the first batch of unknown origin was probably a synthetic masquerading as natural, and I have my suspicions of the cheap frankincense.
I will try again sometime soon, getting this right will mean several projects can the be finished, but I might use a stove outside rather than indoors.
Any advice from people who have had success with this stuff very welcome.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote