Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th July 2020, 01:36 AM   #1
Bryce

Default Andria Ferara Blade

G'day Guys,
I have a British, 1788 pattern, heavy cavalry officer's sword, which has an older blade marked "Andria Ferara". The hilt dates from the 1780's, but the blade is of a style commonly found on mortuary hilts of the mid 17th century. Is there any way of determining if the blade really does date from the 17th century, or is an 18th century blade made in the style of the 17th century? Either way it is a great example of its type.
Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2020, 02:15 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Really nice example Bryce!! The M1788 or so it is regarded though not officially a 'pattern', is sort of come by in the 'heavy cav/dragoon' hilt.
Im not familiar with this pattern blade being found on mortuaries but you have likely seen more than me.
The ANDREA FERARA however seems atypical for such markings of 17th c. and the 'mortuary' I have with Andrea Ferara is block letters as are the Xs.
This style lettering seems almost 'oriental' and not in a font I have ever seen for this inscription. The late 18th c. of course did seem to lean toward some almost fanciful blade decoration, and officers with their affinity for exotic and unique might account for this anomaly.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2020, 03:14 AM   #3
Bryce

Thanks Jim,
I forgot to include some dimensions with my original post. The backsword blade is 90cm long and 3.2cm wide at the ricasso. It is double-edged for the last 30cm. Below is a mortuary hilt from the Royal Armouries collection with an almost identical blade.
Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Old 16th July 2020, 02:39 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Bryce for the images of that mortuary! I had not thought of that type fullering being that early, but now recalling that seen on numbers of Scot basket hilt blades of that period it makes sense.
I remember thinking it was odd to see an ANDREA FERARA on my mortuary which is c.1640's, but then the Solingen blades were coming into England as well as Scotland. It was the OLD notion that Andrea Ferara blades were keenly Scottish, now well dispelled that put that thought in mind.

This inscriptions with doubled ANDREA on one side and double FERARA on the other, the oriental style letters and use of 'I' instead of 'E' in ANDREA are most curious. It is surprising how much this famed name has inspired so many interpretations with not only quality, but magical imbuement implied.
While not expecting officers to necessarily adhere to such notions, it was the matter of fashion and status that compelled them in these interesting sword features.
Old 16th July 2020, 10:54 PM   #5
Bryce

Here is another example from the net with the same blade fullering and Andria Ferara placed the same way.
Cheers,
Bryce
Attached Images

Old 17th July 2020, 03:15 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce
Here is another example from the net with the same blade fullering and Andria Ferara placed the same way.
Cheers,
Bryce

Hmmmm! Velly interesting! We seem to have had a purveyor using the same artisan or shop, would be great to figure who and where, but thats not likely.
Either way, sure looks like a heirloom blade placed in the 1788.
Old 17th July 2020, 12:57 PM   #7
Will M

Bryce I can see this sword having a family blade. If only it could speak as to the family name it belongs to. This is one pattern I'd like to add to my collection.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote