Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th December 2006, 05:37 PM   #1
ariel

Default What's the big deal about Kirk Narduban?

The mechanical qualities of crucible steel ( wootz) have been already discussed extensively.
No doubt, it is beautiful. Particularly, everybody is very excited about the blades with Kirk or Kirk/Rose patterns. However, these are just embellishments. The swordmaker chiselled straight lines alone or interspersed them with chiselled circles and continued hammering the blade to get the above patterns. Of course, that added time to the manufacture of the blade, but no additional positive mechanical properties ( if anything, it might have conceivably only weakened the blade).
These patterns are not much different from chiselled panels, koftgari inscriptions, etched or incised patterns etc: they are just meant to make the blade prettier, no more.
Why are we going ga-ga every time we see the Kirk-ed blade? What is so special about this particular embellishment?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 07:16 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Something that has always puzzled me.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2006, 10:01 PM   #3
spiral

The symbolism of the 40 steps to heaven or somesuch to the more devout belivers was perhaps originaly a factor?

A man can be rather a follower of fashion on occasion.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 12:15 AM   #4
ham

Perhaps because it requires a great deal more skill and knowledge of technology than any other technique in sword-making. Consequently, it is far rarer.

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 01:46 AM   #5
Jeff D

Beauty as always is in the eye of the beholder. This topic also reminds me of a question. What is the earliest date that we see the "Kirk Narduban" formation. Even though Kindi may have talked of the pattern, I have only seen rudimentary formations on blades dated to the early 17th century, and well formed formations by the late 17th century. Does any know of any earlier?

All the best
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 04:23 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Beauty as always is in the eye of the beholder. Well said Jeff.

I can’t answer your question, although I have a feeling that the technique is older than 17th century, but maybe Ann can help us, as she has been excavating in the area of Marv.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Ferguson

Perhaps the same reason that I like looking at a beautiful woman? She may not be more worthy, or useful or good. But I will still enjoy looking.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote