Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th September 2015, 10:46 PM   #1
Iliad

Default Indian Mace

Greetings,
A recent purchase of an Indian spiked mace. I searched the site's library but could not find anything similar, so thought that I would post these pictures for the archives. I think maybe early 1800's?
A blow from this to an unarmoured body would be very nasty indeed.
Regards to all,
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 04:53 PM   #2
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliad
Greetings,
A recent purchase of an Indian spiked mace. I searched the site's library but could not find anything similar, so thought that I would post these pictures for the archives. I think maybe early 1800's?
Regards to all,
Brian
Brian, I am a little bit suspicious of this mace, it has the look of some recently made reproductions from India. Did it come from a reputable dealer? Some clear close up shots may help. Here is a link were you can see some other examples. https://www.pinterest.com/worldantiq...persian-maces/
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 06:27 PM   #3
kronckew

i'd worry about it getting stuck in whatever you hit with it, pulling you off the horse, if you were cavalry or delaying you long enough to get zapped by someone else if infantry; and how the heck would you carry it without it spiking you or your horse every time you moved.

a 'parade' weapon for religious festivals maybe?
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Brian,
I am with the others in thinking this a bit too 'theatrical' for an actual combative weapon. These dramatically lengthy spikes and in this kind of profusion would render this weapon more a hindrance than realistically useful item. As has been mentioned, these spikes becoming lodged in their target would effectively remove it from further use.

I agree on the 'parade' or 'dramatic prop' probability, and it seems I have seen 'staged' photos of 'fierce' warriors with these kinds of items from the latter 19th early 20th c.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 09:33 PM   #5
mrcjgscott

Hello Brian,

I have to concur with Jim and the others. That smooth grip would ensure you lost your primary weapon on the first swing.

The intimidation factor of such a piece however would be invaluable, so purely as a ceremonial/parade piece makes sense to me.

Kind regards,

Chris
mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 10:20 PM   #6
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcjgscott
Hello Brian,

I have to concur with Jim and the others. That smooth grip would ensure you lost your primary weapon on the first swing. The intimidation factor of such a piece however would be invaluable, so purely as a ceremonial/parade piece makes sense to me.

Kind regards,

Chris
What looks smooth now may have been covered at one time. Sometimes I think the label "ceremonial/parade" gets used to quickly as a way to explain weapons that we currently do not have sufficient research on.
Attached Images

Old 12th September 2015, 08:49 AM   #7
weapons 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Brian, I am a little bit suspicious of this mace, it has the look of some recently made reproductions from India. Did it come from a reputable dealer? Some clear close up shots may help. Here is a link were you can see some other examples. https://www.pinterest.com/worldantiq...persian-maces/
I have the same impression on seeing this mace .I think indeed it was recently manufactured and artificially aged by some Hindu seller on eBay !!
weapons 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 09:16 AM   #8
sirupate

What a marvelous thread
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2015, 09:43 AM   #9
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapons 27
I have the same impression on seeing this mace. I think indeed it was recently manufactured and artificially aged by some Hindu seller on eBay !!
Compared to the maces that have been posted, the patina/look of the metal is just not right but it could just have been badly stored. Are the spikes threaded into the head, is there any koftgari decoration, did it come from India? I have been wrong before which is why more detailed images would be of help in determining its authenticity.

Here is one that I own, the metal has a heavy dark patine but it is smooth and you can see koftgari decoration through it. The spikes are threaded, it looks like one spike has been replaced, the shaft is slightly bent and the head is also slightly loose, battle damage or some past owner taking a swing with it?
Attached Images

Last edited by estcrh; 12th September 2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12th September 2015, 10:18 AM   #10
estcrh

Here is an example of a reproduction/fake Indian spiked mace, for comparison I have shown the head of the mace being discussed next to the head of a know fake one.

Old Indo Persian Steel Mace

Up for sale all Steel Horseman Warrior Spiked Mace .
Mace with multiple pointed spikes , hollow round shaft and round shape bottom tip.
Mace is rusted / Patina and wear and tear is there.
Dimension verall length 89 cm or 35 inches approx
weight = 1244 grams.
Attached Images

Old 11th September 2015, 08:03 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliad
Greetings,
Regards to all,
Brian

Please check out Forum Library...http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=indian+mace

and #50 at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ACE+COLLECTION
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote