Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd January 2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Luc LEFEBVRE

Default Magnetic stand for weapons

I have design this magnetic stand.
Round heavy base (8mm height) , adjustable in height and rotation.
It can support a heavy weapon with 1 magnet, or a VERY heavy with 2 magnets, even sometimes with the scabbard.
Anybody else has this kind of idea ?
Luc
Attached Images

Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 10:59 PM   #2
Andrew

Lightbulb

That's great, Luc!

I wonder if small, powerful magnets, covered in suede or some other soft material, could be mounted on a wall to attach weapons to?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 11:50 PM   #3
Bill M

Very nice stand, Luc.

Here is my attempt with magnest.

These Moro weapons are held in place by 1.5 inch long x 1 inch wide x 1/4 in thick neodymium magnets behind the cloth. I sawed a slot in a piece of oak board, screwed the board to the wall, inserted the magnets and then put the cloth to hide the board and additionally protect the blades.

If you use neodymium magnets, be VERY careful. Unbelievably powerful. I got these on eBay from a company called "Rattlesnake." Well named. Two magnets will attract each other violently.

Not so dangerous just holding the steel blade but they hold it very well and the cloth keeps them from scratching the blades.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 01:38 AM   #4
Dajak

Hi nice idea whit the magnets

regards, ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 08:04 AM   #5
wolviex

LUC! Great Idea, I would like to have someting like that! Is is available somewhere? If you cannot mention dealer and the price here, please send me PM or email: wolviex@poczta.onet.pl
Many thanks in advance!
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

Here is where I buy the ones I use to mount on the wall.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp?cat=86

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Emanuel

Hello,

This is a fantastic device, I'll certainly give it a try. What do you do with the scabbards though? In many, if not most, they're works of art in their own right. How to reconcile both the sword ans its scabbard on a presentation armature? Bill, I see that some of the scabbards are included in the glass case of your exhibit, but what do you do with the rest of them?
Perhaps some cloth wound around the scabbard and held to the magnet with a metal piece/washer could do the trick?

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 08:10 PM   #8
katana

Interesting that this thread came up. I have been working on the idea of making wall brackets out of clear perspex/acrylic with neodymium magnets embedded.Basically a clear plastic rod is fixed to a bracket (to fix to the wall) at the end of the rod is attached the magnet and a felt protective piece. The rod could be 4-8 " depending on the thickness. Two would be needed to mount a sword horizontally. Once the sword is 'magnetically stuck' the only visible part of the bracket would be the clear plastic. The added bonus is ....because the bracket 'base' is clear....the surface of the wall will show through ...helping to hide it.

The idea was to create the illusion the sword was 'floating' next to the wall.
Attached Images

Last edited by katana; 4th January 2007 at 10:16 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 09:36 PM   #9
Luc LEFEBVRE

Here some pics I have made recently with scabbards.
On the photo with knives in the scabbard, I use the magnetic stand.
Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
Hello,

This is a fantastic device, I'll certainly give it a try. What do you do with the scabbards though? In many, if not most, they're works of art in their own right. How to reconcile both the sword ans its scabbard on a presentation armature? Bill, I see that some of the scabbards are included in the glass case of your exhibit, but what do you do with the rest of them?
Perhaps some cloth wound around the scabbard and held to the magnet with a metal piece/washer could do the trick?

Regards,
Emanuel
Attached Images

Old 4th January 2007, 10:12 PM   #10
katana

Luc....they look excellent.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 10:43 PM   #11
Luc LEFEBVRE

Your system with plexiglas seems to be a good idea to hang on the wall.
Just try it and show us.
Luc
Old 4th January 2007, 10:46 PM   #12
Luc LEFEBVRE

Nice wall Bill with good light.
In fact I've hurt myself with the magnets 2 or 3 time, my fingers remember this moment...
Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Very nice stand, Luc.

Here is my attempt with magnest.

These Moro weapons are held in place by 1.5 inch long x 1 inch wide x 1/4 in thick neodymium magnets behind the cloth. I sawed a slot in a piece of oak board, screwed the board to the wall, inserted the magnets and then put the cloth to hide the board and additionally protect the blades.

If you use neodymium magnets, be VERY careful. Unbelievably powerful. I got these on eBay from a company called "Rattlesnake." Well named. Two magnets will attract each other violently.

Not so dangerous just holding the steel blade but they hold it very well and the cloth keeps them from scratching the blades.
Old 4th January 2007, 11:41 PM   #13
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc LEFEBVRE
Nice wall Bill with good light.
In fact I've hurt myself with the magnets 2 or 3 time, my fingers remember this moment...
Luc

Thanks Luc,

I have had 1 inch square magnets snap together with enough force to give me blood blisters. The bigger ones can actually break bones. It is unreal how powerfully they attract each other.

A six inch diameter by two inch thick can hold up 1175 POUNDS of iron and they are much more powerful attracting another magnet. The seller says this about a 6" x 2" magnet.

"This is an EXTREMELY Powerful Magnet! The end user MUST USE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS when unpacking and using this magnet. Remove all metal objects within a 5 foot radius before unpacking. Magnets of this size and strength can pull metals objects to them when brought too close. Two magnets of this size will fly together with great force and can break bones."

I am very careful when using 1" x 1.5" magnets, but they sure hold a sword well. They will each lift about 55 pounds of steel.
Old 5th January 2007, 02:31 AM   #14
Emanuel

If these magnets are so strong, then can they attract the blade through the wood (or whatever) of the scabbard? Furthermore, is it difficult to separate the blades from the magnets?

Luc, In the picture where the scabbard is alone on the stand, how is it held? Is there a bracket around it?

Thanks all for these examples, they're a great way to present weapons...and anything else for that matter.

Emanuel
Old 5th January 2007, 02:50 AM   #15
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
If these magnets are so strong, then can they attract the blade through the wood (or whatever) of the scabbard? Furthermore, is it difficult to separate the blades from the magnets?
Emanuel

They would easily attract the blade through the scabbard. I have over 1/4" of wood between my blades and the magnets, and a piece of thick cloth. I just like to see the blades and many Moro swords have lost their scabbards.

The magnet is difficult to remove from the sword blade if it is directly in contact.
Old 17th April 2007, 01:46 PM   #16
Spunjer

will these magnets leave marks on the blade? how would one prevent that?
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 01:58 PM   #17
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
will these magnets leave marks on the blade? how would one prevent that?
I don't think that the magnets will leave marks on the blades. However I have a piece of thin wood between the blade and the magnet. The problem is that the magnets are very powerful, very slick surface and difficult to attach to the wall or backdrop.

I am going to try some epoxy to hold the magnets to a board and then just use a thick cloth to go between them and the blades. The thickness of the wood weakens the magnetic attraction and am concerned they might not hold well enough.

While the magnets are powerful, the distance between is a large factor.

I stress again that these magnets are very powerful and dangerous -- particularly to each other -- less so to steel or iron. Two magnets will bite you! I have blood blisters to prove it! They are also brittle.
Old 17th April 2007, 04:40 PM   #18
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Wink While We're On The Subject

In the interest of recycling (and being a cheapskate ) I'd like to mention that the electric toothbrush heads that we routinely discard every month or so have incredibly strong magnets inside of them.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 06:11 PM   #19
josh stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
In the interest of recycling (and being a cheapskate ) I'd like to mention that the electric toothbrush heads that we routinely discard every month or so have incredibly strong magnets inside of them.
Old hard drives also have rare earth magnets in them. The magnets also have the advantage of being built into their mounting brackets so they can be screwed into whatever you want to hold them. I use a hard drive magnet to clean up iron filings.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 07:17 PM   #20
Spunjer

these rare earth magnets, neodymium, do they lose their magnetic hold over time? my concern is, if one uses these magnets as some sort of sword hanger on the wall and nothing else (no hooks to support), that eventually gravity takes over and well, i'll have my own version of king arthur's sword on the floor...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 09:35 PM   #21
Luc LEFEBVRE

Hi Josh,
At the beginning, I used HDD magnets, they are strong enough, but fragile.
So I buy strong and thick magnets and they don't lose their magnetic power.
Luc
Old 18th April 2007, 01:27 AM   #22
fearn

Hey Luc,

Neat idea, and a great way to magnetize a blade. Didn't we have a thread on that not very long ago?

Here's the Wikipedia article on neodymium magnets on neodymium magnets (just found googling, not saying it's correct).

Neodymium magnets lose strength when exposed to temperatures greater than 80 degrees Celsius, rather than over time. They are also fairly fragile. While they are wonderful fun to play with, but they can be a nuisance and/or a health hazard. For instance, you definitely DO NOT want to get your hand caught between two magnets that can each hold 100 kg, as they will come together with 200 kg worth of force and crush your hand between them. Nor do you want it to mess up your pacemaker, if you have one. Or your credit cards or hard drives.

Otherwise, have fun! if you've got a decent stand, I think a neodymium magnet would be a great way to hold a sword.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 08:36 PM   #23
Luc LEFEBVRE

Talking

No problem it works really good.
And I'm still alive with my 10 fingers and a good heart !
;-)
Here a picture of a wall at home, you can see some magnetic stands.
Luc
Attached Images

Old 18th April 2007, 08:52 PM   #24
Tim Simmons

Luc, the knives you show here with their scabbards are very nice to see. I simply adore the fur scabbard, they are just so perfect.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 09:16 PM   #25
Luc LEFEBVRE

Default Scabbards

If you like knive with scabbard, here some.
Luc

Attached Images

Old 11th January 2010, 09:01 PM   #26
Emanuel

Finally got around to trying these magnets, they work great!
Attached Images

Old 12th January 2010, 12:18 AM   #27
Rikkn

Great idea !! I can mount my bayonet collection with magnets too !!
Rikkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 03:47 PM   #28
Bill M

I want to stress again that these magnets are dangerous. I have blood blisters from two of the smaller type snapping together and catching part of my finger! These were an inch in diameter. You will not believe how fast they can come together.

I also suggest that a magnet strong enough to hold a sword can attract the sword blade quickly and cause the blade to cut you. And without some kind of padding, cloth or thin wood, they can scratch fine, polished blades.

With a few safety precautions these work very well, but always be careful. I found out the hard way!