Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th February 2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Clan totem?

Can anyone tell me more about this carved animal on the scabbard of this large heavy PI knife.As far as I can see it could be a salamander,monitor lizard or a crocodile.Thanks Tim.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 04:55 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Frome where in Africa is it?
Where on the scabbard is the animal?
Do you know how old it is?

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Hello Jens this piece is from one of the Philippine Islands.I do believe there are members of this forum that know rather a lot about these things.Tim
Old 24th February 2005, 06:39 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

Yes, as you can see from my post - I am more than lost, but it is an interesting thing, and I would not be surprised if it is a tribal mark.

Regards

Jens
Old 25th February 2005, 01:23 AM   #5
tom hyle

This is from Luzon. From the highland/northern "Igorot" people. I forget what it is called. The handle is a hollow socket, and supposedly they are used as spears in hunting, as well as as dagger/knives. There is another type with the same handle but an SE angled "bolo" blade, too. Recycled hoof rasps are a common material for these. Yours doesn't look that way though.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 02:20 AM   #6
John

The carved animal is a lizard. I see these creatures everyday at home on ceilings and walls as they look for mosquitos to feed on. The Malays call it "cicak".
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 04:55 AM   #7
Andrew

It also looks exactly like the small, flat, nocturnal gecko-like lizards that infest my area.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 05:17 AM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Tim:

Tom has identified the knife -- it is a hinalung from one of the Igorot tribes in Northern Luzon. The other form he referred to is called pinahig. Both of these were discussed in an article on the old EEWRS and can be found here: http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/ifugao/index.html

The open-faced scabbard is called a hikot.

John has identified the lizard that is most likely represented on the sheath.

A full description of the item, with reference material, in just over 12 hours since posting. The resources on this site are pretty darn good!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 04:46 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Thankyou gentlemen,to know the carving is a "cicak" is great. Little details make a whole picture.Does anyone know of any cultural reason for using a cicak or is it simply just decoration.Tim.
Old 25th February 2005, 06:38 PM   #10
Conogre

While totemic figures usually have some significance, most of the lizards I've seen carved into items from Luzon seem to be newer and quite likely tourist oriented, thus I suspect that these are largely just for decorative purposes.
In some older tribal religions the lizards play a part similar to Loki in Viking mythology and the raven in many Amerindian myths, that of a joker or trickster based upon its ability to be unseen...now you see it, now you don't, thus the ideal "spy of the Gods".
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 07:26 PM   #11
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Conogre,
The raven is very important in Nordic Mythology, as Odin, the highest of the gods, had two, one of each side of his throne. Each day they flew out, and in the evening when they came back, they told him what was happening in the World – between the mortals and the gods.

Jens
Old 25th February 2005, 07:28 PM   #12
Bill

Tim, Agree with all that is posted so far. Your sword is of receint manufacture for the tourist industry. The "mountain" providences of Luzon are changing at a rapid rate. Where traditional tools and weapons are still made, they are now being made as tourist items for Manila tourist. For the most part, the young people have left not only trditional tribal life, but the area. I think that many people from Manila & other large PI cities sense the end of the traditional lives of these people & now, where decient roads exist, come to see the ending of this culture. Many traditional items are made to sell to these tourist. As far as the "house gecko" on the sheath goes, I think it may be made for foreign consumption. From different areas I have visited, the geckos are concidered a pest but it is concidered unlucky to hurt or kill them, the exception is there is a very large gecko that often takes up residence in attics that is concidered to have a spirit, not to be removed from the house but when it dies it is a bad omen, so no one wants it in thier house. There is likely hundreds of variations of belief about these lizzards. A couple of good books with a lot of pictures are:Eduardo Masferre "People of the Philippine Cordillera" Photographs 1934-1956 & David Howard "The Last Filipino Head Hunters" 2000. Masferre wanted to capture away of life, that he knew would end; Howard tries the same, interviewing the older people that still remembered the "old ways"
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2005, 07:56 PM   #13
Tim Simmons

Thanks Bill. I like the bits about lizards.Not so keen on your view of the weapon.If you could see the whole thing close up I am sure you would ,as I do,say it is at least pre ww2.Tim
Old 26th February 2005, 02:39 AM   #14
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Tim, Agree with all that is posted so far. Your sword is of receint manufacture for the tourist industry. The "mountain" providences of Luzon are changing at a rapid rate. Where traditional tools and weapons are still made, they are now being made as tourist items for Manila tourist. For the most part, the young people have left not only trditional tribal life, but the area. I think that many people from Manila & other large PI cities sense the end of the traditional lives of these people & now, where decient roads exist, come to see the ending of this culture. Many traditional items are made to sell to these tourist. As far as the "house gecko" on the sheath goes, I think it may be made for foreign consumption. From different areas I have visited, the geckos are concidered a pest but it is concidered unlucky to hurt or kill them, the exception is there is a very large gecko that often takes up residence in attics that is concidered to have a spirit, not to be removed from the house but when it dies it is a bad omen, so no one wants it in thier house. There is likely hundreds of variations of belief about these lizzards. A couple of good books with a lot of pictures are:Eduardo Masferre "People of the Philippine Cordillera" Photographs 1934-1956 & David Howard "The Last Filipino Head Hunters" 2000. Masferre wanted to capture away of life, that he knew would end; Howard tries the same, interviewing the older people that still remembered the "old ways"

Welome back.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote