Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th October 2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Last charge of the Lancers

I've been following the recent discussion of lances and then came across this old postcard from 1914.
On the reverse it says:
The European War 1914.
Belgian and french Fraternise.
The French Lancer smiles as he hands over his pass to the Belgian Vivette who is holding the road.

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wow! that is a great photo Atlantia!! and your title 'last charge of the lancers' pretty stirring!!
It seems amazing that lances were used this late, but they indeed were, and this brings back memories of my obsession with lances and lancers back in the 80's. I found that the German uhlans in WWI used incredibly long lances made with steel rather than wood shafts, but did not realize the French had units as well.

The famed Bengal Lancers in India used lances well into the 20th century, and in ceremonial capacity, I think some mounted troops may still be used in Pakistan possibly. I recall back in the 80's I did see a performance of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (mounties riding in drill formation with lances and it was incredible to see these movements in unison with red and white pennons fluttering as they rode!

Thank you so much for posting this, and bringing to mind the great pageantry these anachronisms of the days of chivalry.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Wow! that is a great photo Atlantia!! and your title 'last charge of the lancers' pretty stirring!!
It seems amazing that lances were used this late, but they indeed were, and this brings back memories of my obsession with lances and lancers back in the 80's. I found that the German uhlans in WWI used incredibly long lances made with steel rather than wood shafts, but did not realize the French had units as well.

The famed Bengal Lancers in India used lances well into the 20th century, and in ceremonial capacity, I think some mounted troops may still be used in Pakistan possibly. I recall back in the 80's I did see a performance of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (mounties riding in drill formation with lances and it was incredible to see these movements in unison with red and white pennons fluttering as they rode!

Thank you so much for posting this, and bringing to mind the great pageantry these anachronisms of the days of chivalry.

All the best,
Jim

Hi Buddy,

'Anachronisms' is surely the right word for these combat cavalry regiments. Especially the French ones as they were fielded early in the war in pretty substantial numbers, long before and really hard lessons had even began to be learned. As you so rightly point out, these were truly a leftover from the age of chivalry, often the sons of nobility, the 'cream' of the French military.
The suffering of these men and animals was almost beyond imagining.

The French Lancer looks to be about 20-22, his big smile always fills me with sadness.
It certainly was the end of an era.
Old 15th October 2008, 09:17 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

This is one of the last charges performed by Portuguese.
An action picture of a real Lancers charge, taken in 1907, in the Mufilo plains, Angola; a military campaign against the Cuamatos.
Fernando
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Atlantia

Thats a great picture Fernando. Amazing to see an actual charge!!
Its astonishing to have a photgraphic record of the last days of such a historic form of warfare.
Old 17th October 2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Pukka Bundook

Good morning.
As far as I know, the last charge by lancers seems to have been
Some of Admund Allenby's men on September 19th, 1918.

There is a painting by Thomas Dougdale of this event entitled;
"Charge of the 2nd Lancers at El Afuli, Palestine"

It recalls an incident in the valley of Megiddo, (Armageddon) when the 2nd lancers surprised a body of Turks in a dawn raid, and though the Turks fought back, Dugdale recalls;
"The 2nd lancers each chased a Turk, and tent-pegged him as he lay firing..."

Are there instances after this where lancers were in action in the traditional role?
It would be interesting to hear of later engagements!

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 05:33 PM   #7
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
... Its astonishing to have a photgraphic record of the last days of such a historic form of warfare.
This military campaign was the first to receive photographic coverage in Portugal. This was one of the photographers involved, a sub-lieutenant called José Veloso de Castro whose images, often taken in the heat of the battles, had a regconized power.
The original picture is kept in the museum of Lancers Regiment nº 2, in Lisbon.
I have scanned it from a (bilingual) book with the illustrated memoir of the Portuguese Army which dust cover, despite having nothing to do with the topic of this thread, i will post here, due to its rather sugestive image.
It represents a velocipedy (biking) exercize at the Practical School of Infantry, in the academic year 1897-98. If necessary these bikes, specially designed for the military, could be folded and carried on one's back.
Sorry Gene, but i couldn't resist ... this is the kind of picture one enjoys sharing .
Fernando

Attached Images

Old 17th October 2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This really is an exciting topic, and for me truly a trip down memory lane! (this is what happens when ya get old! Quite a few years ago, I was completely enthralled with studying the lancers, spurred mostly by the Errol Flynn movie 'Charge of the Light Brigade", and "Lives of a Bengal Lancer" (1935). My sword collecting had already taken hold, but these lancers had inspired me further in wanting to learn more on these weapons.

I recall when I finally got my hands on my first lances, an old British pair from c.1860's. These things were over 8 feet long, and living in southern California, they had arrived via air freight from London in Los Angeles. In my excitement I 'charged' off to customs at the airport in LAX, completely forgetting I was driving a corvette! Uh, slight problem in transporting! I took off the T-tops and literally charged down the 405 freeway with lances bristling out of the car! I had several visits from the highway patrol in my journey, mostly of pure curiosity, as were the officials in customs.

In later years I got several more, which were WWI from varying Indian cavalry regiments, and the obsession grew. I was completely caught up in studying the colorful Indian native cavalry regiments, especially of course the Bengal Lancers. I found a book titled "So They Rode and Fought" by Major General S. Shahid Hamid, 1984, who was now in the Pakistani Army, and completely about these regiments. I wrote to him and he kindly responded with wonderful information as well as his book.

In about 1990, I read about a book written in 1988 titled "Last of the Bengal Lancers" by Brigadier (ret.) Francis HB Ingall. When I found he lived near San Francisco I was ecstatic! I reached him and he invited me to his home, and again....I was charging!! this time travel expenses!!

Brigadier Ingall was noted as "the last British officer on the Indian sucontinent to lead a charge into battle astride his horse with his sword drawn". Brig. Ingall had been commissioned to the 6th Duke of Connaughts Own Lancers, but in our talks the day we met, told me he had actually been attached to the 13th Bengal Lancers (formerly known as 'Watsons Horse').
The battle mentioned was in 1931, and he led his lancers in the charge on horseback at the Battle of Karawal near the Khyber Pass against the firece Afridi tribesmen on the Northwest Frontier.

As he passionately talked about this battle, I was allowed to handle the huge M1912 officers sword with beautiful bowl type guard he had carried in the charge, and he looked over lovingly at the portrait he had hanging in a place of honor over his fireplace of his faithful charger 'Eagerheart'. He was thrilled that I was so taken by the history of the lancers, and I will honestly never forget the brief, but monumental talk I had with this sturdy British officer.

I still have his book which he inscribed to me and proud to have him note my endeavors on Bengal Lancer history in it. The 'Brigadier' as he was called, passed away in August 1992, less than two years later, the end of an epoch.

It seems the lance did remain in use for some time in some of the British native cavalry regiments, though by about 1938, most regular army line units were amalgamated, and became armoured mechanized units. In the U.S. the army mechanized its cavalry units in 1934, and it was said that the old horse soldier, Gen.George Patton, had tears in his eyes as his troopers stacked thier 'Patton sabres' for the last time. I am uncertain exactly how long the native lancer units actually used the lance, but likely after the 1930's most use was parade or ceremonial, much as units of the Polish uhlan (lancer) regiments in 1939 references.

The last officially recognized mounted charge of British cavalry was actually near an airfield at Toungoo, Burma on 21 March 1942. Captain Arthur Sandeman led Sikh sowars of the Burma Frontier Force against Japanese infantry, in a dashing yet disastrous mounted charge in which most of them perished.
A brilliant account of this action is found in "Charge to Glory" (James D. Lunt, 1960).

There remains in New Delhi each year a parade which includes the last mounted cavalry regiment, the 61st cavalry which includes the Prseidents Bodyguard, and some of the units still have lancers.

Perhaps these ramblings are a bit drawn out but I hope those as interested in the history of these gallant cavalrymen as I am , might enjoy these notes.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 17th October 2008, 08:34 PM   #9
fernando

It seems as the last charge was carried by those from the Lancers country of origin, Poland, where they had prevailed, even after being found inadequate, due to course of time and war evolution.
The Polish Ulanos extinguished themselves with glory, during a charge in September 1939, rather more desperate and suicidal than that of Balaklava, against the panzers of the Wehrmacht, in the Krechowce plains.
Fernando
Old 18th October 2008, 12:12 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for reference to the great Polish lancers (uhlans), whose history extends back to the famous Winged Hussars of Poland, whose glory was represented in the insignia of those WWII lancers.

There are many versions of the myth of Polish cavalry attacking tanks, which in many cases were perpetuated as German propoganda to diminish the gallantry of these troops. Apparantly the lance was considered optional by about 1937, but likely many cavalry did have them. In the attack mentioned I think it was actually the lancers attacking infantry or tank personnel out of the tanks, rather than a headlong attack into the tanks. Whatever the case may have been, the action went badly and the small contingent were killed. Another story I have read was that cavalry troopers often would approach a tank from obstructed view and slash the fuel line, but that I have not substantiated.

I once knew a Polish friend, whose father was in the Polish cavalry in WWII and spoke of his fathers huge shiny sabre. These Polish swords are well described in similar melancholy in the book by A.Nadolski, "Polish Arms-Side Arms", (Warsaw, 1974) where he describes his own fathers sword, having "disappeared in the flames of 1939".

One cannot help but honor the memory of these heroic horsemen.

All the best,
Jim
Old 18th October 2008, 02:04 AM   #11
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
This military campaign was the first to receive photographic coverage in Portugal. This was one of the photographers involved, a sub-lieutenant called José Veloso de Castro whose images, often taken in the heat of the battles, had a regconized power.
The original picture is kept in the museum of Lancers Regiment nº 2, in Lisbon.
I have scanned it from a (bilingual) book with the illustrated memoir of the Portuguese Army which dust cover, despite having nothing to do with the topic of this thread, i will post here, due to its rather sugestive image.
It represents a velocipedy (biking) exercize at the Practical School of Infantry, in the academic year 1897-98. If necessary these bikes, specially designed for the military, could be folded and carried on one's back.
Sorry Gene, but i couldn't resist ... this is the kind of picture one enjoys sharing .
Fernando

Thanks Fernando, thats another great picture!
I've never seen such an early example of any military using cycles 'en-masse' and I had to laugh, they are actually cycling 'in step' not just in formation, now that must have taken a lot of practice?
Now that you tell me about the folding mechanism, I can see why the frames are that shape!
I cant imagine them actually 'wanting' to ever carry them though! lol They look VERY heavy and uncomfortable to have resting on ones back! ;-)
Old 18th October 2008, 02:25 AM   #12
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
This really is an exciting topic, and for me truly a trip down memory lane! (this is what happens when ya get old! Quite a few years ago, I was completely enthralled with studying the lancers, spurred mostly by the Errol Flynn movie 'Charge of the Light Brigade", and "Lives of a Bengal Lancer" (1935). My sword collecting had already taken hold, but these lancers had inspired me further in wanting to learn more on these weapons.

I recall when I finally got my hands on my first lances, an old British pair from c.1860's. These things were over 8 feet long, and living in southern California, they had arrived via air freight from London in Los Angeles. In my excitement I 'charged' off to customs at the airport in LAX, completely forgetting I was driving a corvette! Uh, slight problem in transporting! I took off the T-tops and literally charged down the 405 freeway with lances bristling out of the car! I had several visits from the highway patrol in my journey, mostly of pure curiosity, as were the officials in customs.

In later years I got several more, which were WWI from varying Indian cavalry regiments, and the obsession grew. I was completely caught up in studying the colorful Indian native cavalry regiments, especially of course the Bengal Lancers. I found a book titled "So They Rode and Fought" by Major General S. Shahid Hamid, 1984, who was now in the Pakistani Army, and completely about these regiments. I wrote to him and he kindly responded with wonderful information as well as his book.

In about 1990, I read about a book written in 1988 titled "Last of the Bengal Lancers" by Brigadier (ret.) Francis HB Ingall. When I found he lived near San Francisco I was ecstatic! I reached him and he invited me to his home, and again....I was charging!! this time travel expenses!!

Brigadier Ingall was noted as "the last British officer on the Indian sucontinent to lead a charge into battle astride his horse with his sword drawn". Brig. Ingall had been commissioned to the 6th Duke of Connaughts Own Lancers, but in our talks the day we met, told me he had actually been attached to the 13th Bengal Lancers (formerly known as 'Watsons Horse').
The battle mentioned was in 1931, and he led his lancers in the charge on horseback at the Battle of Karawal near the Khyber Pass against the firece Afridi tribesmen on the Northwest Frontier.

As he passionately talked about this battle, I was allowed to handle the huge M1912 officers sword with beautiful bowl type guard he had carried in the charge, and he looked over lovingly at the portrait he had hanging in a place of honor over his fireplace of his faithful charger 'Eagerheart'. He was thrilled that I was so taken by the history of the lancers, and I will honestly never forget the brief, but monumental talk I had with this sturdy British officer.

I still have his book which he inscribed to me and proud to have him note my endeavors on Bengal Lancer history in it. The 'Brigadier' as he was called, passed away in August 1992, less than two years later, the end of an epoch.

It seems the lance did remain in use for some time in some of the British native cavalry regiments, though by about 1938, most regular army line units were amalgamated, and became armoured mechanized units. In the U.S. the army mechanized its cavalry units in 1934, and it was said that the old horse soldier, Gen.George Patton, had tears in his eyes as his troopers stacked thier 'Patton sabres' for the last time. I am uncertain exactly how long the native lancer units actually used the lance, but likely after the 1930's most use was parade or ceremonial, much as units of the Polish uhlan (lancer) regiments in 1939 references.

The last officially recognized mounted charge of British cavalry was actually near an airfield at Toungoo, Burma on 21 March 1942. Captain Arthur Sandeman led Sikh sowars of the Burma Frontier Force against Japanese infantry, in a dashing yet disastrous mounted charge in which most of them perished.
A brilliant account of this action is found in "Charge to Glory" (James D. Lunt, 1960).

There remains in New Delhi each year a parade which includes the last mounted cavalry regiment, the 61st cavalry which includes the Prseidents Bodyguard, and some of the units still have lancers.

Perhaps these ramblings are a bit drawn out but I hope those as interested in the history of these gallant cavalrymen as I am , might enjoy these notes.

All best regards,
Jim
Brilliant Jim!
I knew that we had Lancers after WW1, especially the Indian ones of course, but I had no idea that we'd actually used any 'in battle' (or for anything more than crowd control) after WW1.
Do you think Brigadier Ingall's charge in 31 was actually with lances? Or sabres and firearms?
I have an abiding love and deep admiration for India and its virtually unconditional support of Britain. Apparently in WW1, about a third of the 'British' troops fighting were from India. Many had never seen snow before. :-(

P.S. Corvette?
You lucky bugger! ;-)
I currently drive a 91 micra with 145,000 miles on the clock! LOL
Its due for an MOT in 3 weeks so that'll be time for the big sleep!
You must have a pic of the vet to post?
targa tops as well!
Old 19th October 2008, 05:20 AM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much Atlantia!
Actually I cannot say for sure that lances were in use in the action against the Afridis in which Brigadier Ingall rode in 1931, however it seems a painting of that charge did show lances with the troopers. Without my copy of the book handy I cannot confirm, and my recollection of that discussion seems almost surreal, leaving no memory of lances specifically. There is no specific reference to the 'Battle of Karawal' in searches I used, but action on the Kajuri Plain is noted, as well as action against Afridis in thier rebellion moving toward Peshawar. Simultaneous was the 'Red Shirt Rebellion' also in Peshawar.

In reconfirming the regiment he was in, it was actually the 6th Duke of Connaughts Own Lancers, which was an amalgamation of the 13th Bengal Lancers as noted, and the 16th cavalry. One of the swords the Brigadier showed me was a stirrup hilt sabre much like the M1796, and marked to the 13th Bengal Lancers, which was still in the armoury at his post.

Yup, the corvette was my pride and joy! A 1969 LT-1, with factory 11:1 compression, Muncie 4 speed, and fast!! I had it over ten years and cried when I sold it on my 40th birthday...sob. It was rare 'forest green' with black interior, and really a sleeper. Those really were glory days!Oh well....so now I drive a Winnebago towing a jeep
Sounds like you're drovin' a faithful steed there, we hate to put 'em down.

All the best,
Jim

P.S. still cannot find written accounts or information on what was known as the Khajuri Plain campaign against Afridi insurgents 1930-31, but have been advised that lances did remain as weapons in India until units mechanized just prior to WWII. Thier use in combat or campaign activity relied on the judgement of officers and environment of course. It would seem that on this campaign it would me most likely they were used, but better recorded accounts are needed.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 19th October 2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: add additional data