Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th December 2021, 01:52 AM   #1
Pitt1999

Default Uncommon West African dagger

Hello,

I mentioned in my first post that I would be posting more photos of my current collection, and those photos will be coming, but for now I will be showing a piece I have purchased but do not have in hand yet. I have looked over some threads on the forum that I remember made mention of these daggers but haven't seen much specific informarion other than they are West African or Sudanese in origin. One thing that seems unusual for African weapons as a whole, but very common for these specific daggers is the use of rayskin on the hilt and sheath. These photos are the seller's photos so forgive the poor angles.
Attached Images

Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 06:38 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

Not uncommon. The blade looks copper or brass which is not that unusual. I have had several African copper and brass bladed knives. To say exactly where it originates could be a problem. I would say more to West African.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...+brass+weapons

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 30th December 2021 at 07:11 AM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 09:28 AM   #3
Sajen

Hello Pitt,

Your nice dagger is from Benin and from the Bariba tribes, see here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=west+african
I've owned once a similar piece but sold it long time ago. The blade will be iron instead of copper or brass.

Best regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 09:35 AM   #4
Sajen

PS: Here a good site for research:http://www.africanarms.com/gallery?a...word-and-knife
It's the great collection from Wolf Dieter Miersch, our member Wodimi!
Old 31st December 2021, 03:52 AM   #5
Pitt1999

Thank you all for your identifications and comments. I also have recently purchased another dagger that I believe to be of West African origin. I bought this knowing it is probably of more recent manufacture. The style doesn't seem very distinct, and with it missing it's sheath (which I find helps greatly for proper identification), this dagger could be from anywhere in the general area of Western Africa.
Attached Images

Old 2nd January 2022, 08:37 PM   #6
Pitt1999

That collection is AMAZING. Does he ever sell any of his pieces or is his collection purely for reference?
Old 2nd January 2022, 10:18 PM   #7
Pitt1999

Another thing I wanted to know is if there are any of these Bariba tribe daggers that don't have the needle like tip? This may seem like a petty complaint, but I always found those super tapered needle like points on daggers kind of ugly. I don't know the term for that kind of tapering towards the tip but tebu/tubu daggers often have a similar type of tip.
Old 3rd January 2022, 03:18 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt1999 View Post
Another thing I wanted to know is if there are any of these Bariba tribe daggers that don't have the needle like tip? This may seem like a petty complaint, but I always found those super tapered needle like points on daggers kind of ugly. I don't know the term for that kind of tapering towards the tip but tebu/tubu daggers often have a similar type of tip.
Hello Pitt,

I really don't know but I guess they all somewhat similar.

Regards,
Detlef