Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd February 2010, 12:42 AM   #31
brekele

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey

So, we can take "gabilan" as the Madurese equivalent for "gayaman".
Of course diffrent area diffrent way to say it but IMO, I would personally think so, just please correct me if my thought was wrong, Javanese Culture influenced to Maduranese for this gayaman subject.

Quote:
In my previous post I mentioned the brahmana rsi form.

Do you know this form?

I never heard & know about this kind of warangka , first time heard it from you

Quote:
why do we now so often see these Madura ladrangans described as "daunan"?

Among young maduranese (my age) friend of mine, some of them said “Daunan” for warangka with shape of jackfruit’ leaf and “Ladrang daun” or “ Ladrang daunan” for warangka with shape of Sukun’s leaf.
Again, influenced of Javanese Culture is very strong in their heart & mind because they born or grow up in Jawa (Surabaya) even they has Maduranese blood. So, I got most of Keris Madura’s knowledge from young Maduranese friends.

But for older people I heard they said “Daunan” for both of warangka style. Well, I dont have many older Maduranese friends.

Quote:
has the daun on this warangka been shortened because of repair?
No, It is originally and no repair.

Last edited by brekele; 23rd February 2010 at 12:56 AM.
brekele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 01:26 AM   #32
A. G. Maisey

Thanks for the fast response, Brekele.

Brekele, I cannot correct you in this matter, my knowledge of Madurese language is virtually nil. The mother-in-law of one of my sons comes from Madura, but I don't think her command of the Madura language is very good, as when I have asked specific questions of her, I have received answers that relate more to East Jawa ngoko, than to something I could accept as Madurese.

I had two references for brahmana rsi form, the first was the wrongko on display in the kraton musium, the second was an elderly dealer in Sumenep. I've never come across mention of this form anywhere else. I could well be a classification that has fallen out of general usage.

Thank you for your further clarification.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote