Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 25th March 2005, 03:49 PM   #31
BluErf

That blade is a true-blue straits bugis blade, not a javanese blade. Thick, broad, robust, in full bugis glory. The naga is also not of javanese form.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2005, 10:50 AM   #32
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Muda
... Last month I visited the Asian Civilisations Museum across the bay from the Cavanagh bridge.
I was intrigued to see one of the kerises in the display. It has a nogo blade if I'm not mistaken but it was provenanced Bugis (again, if memory serves me right). I don't know if anyone else here, especially the orang Singapure have ever noticed this particular blade (inside the Malay world gallery).
Were the Bugis smiths also manufacturing blade types similar to those by the Javanese empus or was this one a trade blade? hmmm
Just happened to chance upon this thread (post) via url from the "Question About SEA Armor" thread. I vividly remember seeing this particular gorgeous solid sturdy tegap strait Bugis Naga keris at the ACM during my visit there in April and particularly like it's coherent form. The other rather catchy and outstanding piece was the Peninsular (?) keris blade with 10 different pamors (if I remember correctly). Almost gives one the impression that it might be it's smith's final attempt to register as much of his key pamor skills onto that blade like a "textbook" he wanted left behind.

Last edited by John; 18th August 2005 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Error correction
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 02:03 AM   #33
Raja Muda

Default Naga Blades

Hi John,

I think Naga blades can both be a joy and frustration to collectors. From conversations I had with collectors who put a lot of faith in lore and a bit less on systematic book learning (my approach is a combination of both I guess) they have this belief that keris with Naga were meant for royals and blue bloods only. And talking about Java, such keris were probably spread around hundreds of Priyayi from your Raden Mas up to your Kanjeng Pagerans etc. Getting a good old one would be a great thing.
However, the naga motif today is also one of the most mass produced pattern you get on cheap tourist blades made from Madura, with a kind of yellow metal inlay that imitates Kinatah blades.
There are occassionally good newly made blades of this kind, and I think it's OK to buy them, just for the sake of keeping the craft alive, but you have people who try and pass the as older stuff. Bad.
Hence the reason why I stick to Malay kerises.
Raja Muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2005, 02:46 AM   #34
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Muda
Hi John,
...Hence the reason why I stick to Malay kerises.
Maybe I'm getting old. It has just been old or fairly old Bugis for me the past couple of years...and waiting for 2 more old Bugis from England...
Old 18th August 2005, 05:31 PM   #35
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
The other rather catchy and outstanding piece was the Peninsular (?) keris blade with 10 different pamors (if I remember correctly). Almost gives one the impression that it might be it's smith's final attempt to register as much of his key pamor skills onto that blade like a "textbook" he wanted left behind.
Hi John,

I think that's a Javanese keris. Yes, really brings a tear to the eye... its so beautiful...

Hey, show us your 2 old 'babies' when they arrive ok.
Old 19th August 2005, 02:10 AM   #36
John

Hi Kai Wee,

Pity I didn't bring my camera that day as ACM does allow photography without flash.

The 2 old "babes" will make a transit at Singapore so probably you could take a look in person and perhaps offer some restoration recommendations prior to them moving on to Kelantan for the purpose. If they turn out well, I probably will put up pictures here or at the KampungNet.
Old 19th August 2005, 03:38 AM   #37
Alam Shah

Hi John,

Pity I couldn't meet up with you when you last visit Singapore. When you next visit, do let me know. We can meet up, along with some other keris enthusiasts.

I believe your 2 pieces will be at Adni's, when it comes? May I see it, too.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2005, 04:37 AM   #38
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Hi John,

Pity I couldn't meet up with you when you last visit Singapore. When you next visit, do let me know. We can meet up, along with some other keris enthusiasts.
Certainly and many thanks for the kind open invitation! Only keris enthusiast I was lucky enough to meet was Mr Chew (MyKampung). If only Adni didn't have to go to KL so soon (within hours of our meeting), he would have been able to arrange for meeting with a few friends like Kai Wee, Paul etc. Sayang lah but certainly will make it the next trip.

Quote:
I believe your 2 pieces will be at Adni's, when it comes? May I see it, too.
Of course. The more the merrier. The pieces are said to be from the collection of the late Evan Perry, armourer to the Tower of London.

Last edited by John; 19th August 2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old 20th August 2005, 02:11 AM   #39
BluErf

Whoa John, I'm already feeling jealous from the sound of it.

Hopefully I can get to see them, but I can only hope because my system project is ramping up for launch at the end of the year, and my working hours are getting really bad (was in office past midnight yesterday).
Old 20th August 2005, 09:18 AM   #40
John

Kai Wee, now I'm getting a little worried in case they fall short of your expectations.

Yeah, I know what it's like in a Bank...have been past midnights and weekends as well. Good luck in your project.
Old 21st August 2005, 02:51 AM   #41
BluErf

Hey John,

Dropped by Adni's shop for about an hour yesterday afternoon and saw them! Apparently they arrived shortly before and Adni was inspecting them. What luck!

You have 2 very beautiful pedigree Bugis kerises in excellent condition, oozing machismo. Very well defined hexagonal cross-section, broad, and with great luks too. I think one of them is a Straits Bugis piece, and the other a Sulawesi Bugis piece. Though slightly different, both are like matcthing brothers.

Hey, you have quite a number of great Bugis kerises already! I'm really jealous!
Old 21st August 2005, 05:01 AM   #42
John

You know you just make me so happy with the news! Thank you so much Kai Wee. I guess I've a lot to thank Stefan Domoney as well.

I can assure you the jealousy is more than mutual from my part just Bugiswise.
Old 23rd August 2005, 02:53 PM   #43
Alam Shah

John,
Been to Adni's, today. Seen your blades.
Both blades are beautiful. The shorter piece is my kind of blade.
Thick, broad and well-balanced.

The longer piece is a Bugis Sulawesi blade. Need sheath reworks, though.
As for the description, BluErf had summed it up, nicely.
Congratulations.
Old 24th August 2005, 02:21 AM   #44
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
John,
Been to Adni's, today. Seen your blades.
Both blades are beautiful. The shorter piece is my kind of blade.
Thick, broad and well-balanced.

The longer piece is a Bugis Sulawesi blade. Need sheath reworks, though.
As for the description, BluErf had summed it up, nicely.
Congratulations.
Thanks Alam Shah. I've preference of the shorter piece too in spite of it's slightly cut tang although seemingly long enough to take on an acute angled sulawesi styled kerdas hulu. I think the longer piece is a Straits Bugis. As you probably already know they are on their way to Kelantan this weekend for refurbishing/resurrection and I can't wait to see them completed especially after Kai Wee's and your assessments.

Looks like I just can't stop...I've told myself more than once to retire from collecting keris but always tak boleh tahan. Maybe I'm hooked for life...

Last edited by John; 24th August 2005 at 02:32 AM.
Old 24th August 2005, 03:10 AM   #45
Alam Shah

Quote:
Looks like I just can't stop...I've told myself more than once to retire from collecting keris but always tak boleh tahan. Maybe I'm hooked for life...
Well, we can help you, by buying all pieces that you're interested in.
We're here for you. It would be nice to see your collection, though. Do create a gallery at Kampungnet. (In a day or two...)
Old 24th August 2005, 05:58 AM   #46
Raja Muda

Default Bugis Beauties

Abang John,

The suspense is killing me. Hope to see the two Bugis blades soon, restored to their full glory. BTW, which tukang is going to help out with the restoration?
I have met Syukri recently and he has successfully replicated the extra broad Bugis sampir, though it will take some time before the kemuning wood turns a glorious orange-red-brown patina.
Raja Muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2005, 06:52 AM   #47
John

Shahrial,

Will do some photographing during my next leave and put a few pieces up at the gallery. Will be requiring your kind assistance in the cover design and will liaise with you via email in due course.

Yang Mulia Raja Muda,

You've guessed it, indeed Syukri shall be doing the work. He'll need to do some sheath adjustments/realignments, make buntut fitments and carve a kemuning Sulawesi kerdas hulu. Looks like I've inadvertently put myself under scrutiny haven't I? Didn't really meant for it to happen this way. Seems I now can't extricate myself from putting up pictures upon completion. BTW that's an interesting lineage you have there Raja Muda.
Old 29th October 2005, 08:49 AM   #48
John

Default Restorations done.

The kerises have returned from Kelantan after some restorations. For a peek, click:

Keris Bugis Sulawesi

Straits Bugis

The "as received" picture (courtesy of Asoka-arts) is as follows.
Attached Images

Old 29th October 2005, 01:13 PM   #49
Alam Shah

Default corrections...ahem.

I stand corrected, (mixed up in my earlier post).
Bugis Sulawesi (left) and Straits Bugis (right).

Congratulations! on these pieces. These are fine blades.

The restoration works on the Straits piece is much better than on the Sulawesi sheath. Both look better than before. My personal preference would be a non-lacquered finish.
Old 20th June 2016, 01:25 PM   #50
kerisbiz

Quote:
Whilst we have been on Sulawesi/Bugis... From the publication - HOUTSNIJWERK EN METAALBEWERKING IN NEDERLANDSCH-INDIE. PUBLISHER: DEBUSSY, AMSTERDAM, 1916.
where can i get the copy of this book ?
kerisbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 03:34 PM   #51
Battara
EAAF Staff

I will move this to the Keris Forum.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 05:19 PM   #52
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I will move this to the Keris Forum.
I thought this IS the Keris forum?!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 05:51 PM   #53
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Confusion

Marius, the post (#49) is dated 2005, before the keris subforum was created.
This will happen now and then when a post is dredged up from the old pre warung Ethno forum.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 08:08 PM   #54
mariusgmioc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Marius, the post (#49) is dated 2005, before the keris subforum was created.
This will happen now and then when a post is dredged up from the old pre warung Ethno forum.
Thanks!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 10:32 AM   #55
kerisbiz

Quote:
Whilst we have been on Sulawesi/Bugis... From the publication - HOUTSNIJWERK EN METAALBEWERKING IN NEDERLANDSCH-INDIE. PUBLISHER: DEBUSSY, AMSTERDAM, 1916.
where can i get the copy of this book?
kerisbiz is offline   Reply With Quote