Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th August 2021, 06:21 PM   #1
cel7

Default British 1803 pattern flank officer sword?

Hi, I have this little sabre what looks like a 1803 pattern infantry officer sword. Not sure what to think of it but maybe someone knows what it realy is?! The length of the blade is 55cm. Overall length without the scabbard is 66,5 cm. Despite the wear It is still razor sharp. Floral motives on the blade with some traces of guilding.
The handle is simply wrapped in black leather wich seems original to me. The scabbard has an old repair on the locket and a later repair where it probably broke in two. Overall, it has seen better days.
Attached Images

cel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2021, 06:43 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

A flank sword with only 55 cms, cel7 ?
Must be something else ... i am afraid .
Can't you figure out what some the letters on the blade say ?
Let us hear from the members !

Last edited by fernando; 14th August 2021 at 06:55 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2021, 07:37 PM   #3
cel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
A flank sword with only 55 cms, cel7 ?
Must be something else ... i am afraid .
Can't you figure out what some the letters on the blade say ?
Let us hear from the members !

I think that the text says "warranted" That makes it plausible that it is British. But you are wright Fernando, probably no 1803 pattern sword.
Old 15th August 2021, 04:47 AM   #4
toaster5sqn

The 1803 flank officers sabre had a slotted hilt guard rather than a simple stirrup so this is definitely not an 1803.

However sabres became popular with British infantry officers in 1796 when the much maligned spadroon was introduced and a wide range of sabres and hangers were carried unofficially. The British military recognized the issue and passed orders allowing flank officers to carry sabres in 1799 but no official pattern existed until 1803. What you have could well be one of the unofficial 1796-1803 sabres.

It is worth noting that some regiments "standardized" their non pattern sabres and continued to use them as regimental pattern after 1803.

Robert
toaster5sqn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 10:14 AM   #5
cel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster5sqn View Post
The 1803 flank officers sabre had a slotted hilt guard rather than a simple stirrup so this is definitely not an 1803.

However sabres became popular with British infantry officers in 1796 when the much maligned spadroon was introduced and a wide range of sabres and hangers were carried unofficially. The British military recognized the issue and passed orders allowing flank officers to carry sabres in 1799 but no official pattern existed until 1803. What you have could well be one of the unofficial 1796-1803 sabres.

It is worth noting that some regiments "standardized" their non pattern sabres and continued to use them as regimental pattern after 1803.

Robert
Thanks Robert for sharing this knowledge! That would be a logical explanation.
Old 15th August 2021, 10:49 AM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I would not discuss the pattern of this sword. I just find it rather surprising that the blade of a cavalry sword, or a sabre, even the flank version, would measure 21,65 inches .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 11:06 AM   #7
kronckew

A short-sword, or hanger. Naval officers fighting sword?? Police of the period carried hangers on occasion. An overall photo of the sword and the point is usually informative regarding it being shortened. Engravings like shown are moire typical of pre-pattern swords.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 11:14 AM   #8
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
I would not discuss the pattern of this sword. I just find it rather surprising that the blade of a cavalry sword, or a sabre, even the flank version, would measure 21,65 inches .
It certainly is short, even for an infantry officer and more like a hanger or sabre briquet, but!

In preparation for the war with France in 1794, all ensigns under eleven and all lieutenants under fourteen were removed from post. There were some very short officers in the British army.

Myself I think it most likely to be a drummers or bandsman's sword due to the lack of gilding and other detail.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote