Vikingsword Staff

Question Worth It ?

Comments ?

eBay # 380000693450
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Obviously a post WW2 sword with pointy luks a fancy tourist piece I think. Not worth the money to me even if the hilt is ivory.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default I think so.

I think so, it is a beautiful item, not my avenue of collecting but pound for pound I would pay that sort of money for something in the line of blades I collect if it was that stylish.

regards

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:37 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Obviously a post WW2 sword with pointy luks a fancy tourist piece I think. Not worth the money to me even if the hilt is ivory.

Lew
Older dress on a '50's era blade perhaps Lew ?
BTW, I tend to agree with you, the asang asang is not even attached .

I miss the eBay of the 90's .
Old 5th March 2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Bill M

While I like the seller. Know him personally. Lives near me. I would not bid on this sword. The blade is not so good. Pointy luks. The hilt may be older, but still not so good either.

He often has some good pieces.

Good size chunk of ivory, but not that well carved. If cheap enough -- it wasn't -- I might have been interested in the ivory and find someone like Jose A. to clean it up and dye it old.

I am looking for kris handles and pommels. Have a few naked blades.

I'd toss the rest.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:48 PM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default I lose

3 to 1, I lose, though I am enjoying learning about items out of my interests.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008, 10:51 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
3 to 1, I lose, though I am enjoying learning about items out of my interests.

Gav
No one loses Gavin .
As you say it's not your field of interest and at first glance it would look pretty nice to the casual viewer .
Old 5th March 2008, 11:04 PM   #8
Bill M

Gav,

I have a few pieces in transit that you may like to compare. Sending you a email.

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 6th March 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 05:09 AM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

Wink

WHAT!!! YOU ARE NOT CRAZY ABOUT THIS

IT WENT BELOW THE DOE-JOUNES AVERAGE VALUE FOR BUZZ WORDS, THOSE WORDS IF PROPERLY USED ARE WORTH $100.00 EACH. #1 OLD (BETTER WOULD BE VERY OLD OR ANTIQUE)
#2. MORO (FAMOUS WARRIORS) #3 DATU (ON A PAR WITH CHIEF, KING OR SULTAN,ECT) #4 IVORY,
#5 SILVER, #6 GOLD SO ITS A $600.00 SWORD SOLD FOR A SAVINGS OF $40.00 IF USED THE BUZZ PHRASE "MUSEUM QUALITY " WOULD HAVE ADDED ANOTHER $200.00

THESE BUZZ WORDS DO ACTUALLY HELP SELL AND GET A HIGHER PRICE AND ARE OFTEN USED ON OBJECTS TO WHICH THEY DO NOT APPLY. HOW MANY CLUBS, AXES,SHIELDS AND SPEARS HAVE I SEEN REFERED TO AS ZULU THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ZULU'S BUT IT NO DOUBT ADDED $$ TO THE SALE.
THIS ITEM WAS MORE OR LESS ACCURATE AS IT WAS OLD BUT COMPARED TO WHAT? IT HAD IVORY BUT SO MUCH MORE COULD HAVE BEEN DONE WITH IT, MORO YEP!,PERHAPS IT BELONGED TO A DATU?? APPEARS TO BE SILVER, SOLID OR PLATE?? GOLD LEAF IS PRESENT ON SOME OF THE BRASS FITTINGS. THE PICTURES WERE GOOD AND I DID LIKE THE DESIGN ON THE BLADE. ALL IN ALL IT WAS AN ATTRACTIVE SWORD AND THE SELLER GOT A GOOD PRICE FOR IT AND HOPEFULLY THE BUYER WILL BE HAPPY WITH IT.

BUT IT WAS MUCH MORE THAN I WOULD HAVE PAID FOR IT, BUT THEN I AM CONSIDERED TO BE VERY TIGHT WITH ME MONEY
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 02:01 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Yep, someone got suckered by the lure of the ivory kakatau. Not only does this look like a post WWII blade, it is also pretty chewed up considering that it isn't really all that old. It is hard to say if this is a beast intentionally created to deceive (not necessarily by the seller), but it does give me that impression.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 06:55 PM   #11
mross

I'm with the consensus on this. I also checked it out because it's Moro and the seller has a good rep. I do not think the handle belongs to the sword. The fit is all wrong. The handle it's self looks very well done. I've never been overly impressed with ivory. I'll take a nicely carved Bunti wood handle over most ivory any day. I was considering buying for the handle and finding something else to do with the rest. I have one or two blades that have no length because they have no handle!
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 08:06 PM   #12
kai

Well, I'm also not fond of this kris.

However, the blade has a separate gangya. I'd like to see the Sulu blade cleaned and etched properly but I'd hazard a guess that this isn't a tourist blade. The hilt and scabbard have likely been added later as suggested (Mindanao).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 04:19 AM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

Every bit of this puppy is recent. Even the hilt is recent. The is not the greatest compared to the older examples. I'm not too crazy about this,but if like new stuff.....
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote