Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th June 2008, 01:59 PM   #1
rasjid

Default New member - comment: New made Keris

Hi, I'm glad to be a member of this forum. Thank you administrator.
I'm new in Keris world but keen to learn.
I have new keris made by Huri - Madura, Indonesia. I like his kirin design, the keris purposely made 'rough' so look old. I would be happy to receive any comment about this keris.

Hopefully in the future I can get more information about this 'current' keris maker and introduce them to wider audience and hopefully they got more business and help them to continue they 'art' to the next generation. cheers....
Attached Images

rasjid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 10:47 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

First, welcome .

Interesting keris .

If you wish to offer anything for sale or anyone's services you must post it in the swap forum .

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Alam Shah

Welcome Rasjid,

Rick, I don't think this piece is for sale...
It comes from his personal collection, afaik.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 02:26 AM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasjid
Hopefully in the future I can get more information about this 'current' keris maker and introduce them to wider audience and hopefully they got more business and help them to continue they 'art' to the next generation.
Shahrial, i think Rick understands that and that his remark may have been aimed at this statement above.
Welcome Rasjid. I certainly agree that it is important to keep the keris art alive. There are too many collectors who turn their noses up at new keris which i definitely think is a mistake. Even though the vast majority of my collection is older keris i still have a few "new kids" that just called to me. It is import that we continue to support and promote the art so that it survives and flourishes. But if you want to promote a specific artist or group of artists it becomes advertising and it would be best done in the swap forum.
BTW, it is indeed and interesting keris. I do find a kirin and odd choice though as if i am not mistaken it is a mythological beast from Japan and Korea.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 03:46 AM   #5
PenangsangII

Welcome Rasjid....glad the number of forumers is growing......

BTW, may I know what kind of iron material used to forge this keris, the crystalite green (or is it blue) color pamor. Could it be meteorites?
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 04:10 AM   #6
Alam Shah

David,

How about informational post featuring a certain maker... (without selling anything), just for general knowledge, a feature on his worksmanship. Does it goes to swap forum too?

About the Kirin (Japanese) Qilin or Kilin (Chinese), it does looks interestingly different, isn't it?
There are Chinese Kilin too... in this case, it may be of chinese influence,... in Java.
In the Chinese hierarchy of mythological animals, the Qilin is ranked as the third most powerful creature (after the dragon and phoenix), but in Japan, the Kirin occupies the top spot. The Japanese Kirin is more 'deer-like' compared with the Chinese Kilin. For this example... the proportion seems 'top heavy'.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 5th June 2008 at 07:28 AM. Reason: add
Old 5th June 2008, 04:46 AM   #7
Newsteel

Hi Rasjid,

Interestingly new keris!! As much as I agree and support that keris is an art should be kept alive. Your new keris has good metal work and very tight pamor. As far as I can see, the garap (workmanship) also look fairly decent.

But I do not favour new keris that has been put into acid or conditioned to look old. If one would to appreaciate the art and beauty of keris, then let it be good and not reconditioned. Just my opinion...
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 01:57 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
David,

How about informational post featuring a certain maker... (without selling anything), just for general knowledge, a feature on his worksmanship. Does it goes to swap forum too?
I would think that an informational post about a specific maker would be fine here as long as any contact info or suggestions of purchase take place in the swap forum.
I think that you might be right that this keris features a Chinese kilin rather than a Japanese kirin.
Old 5th June 2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi all,
I think David expressed better than I what I was trying to get across in my post .
I sometimes lack eloquence and tact; my apologies .

There is absolutely no problem with showcasing an artist's work here; none at all; in fact I would encourage this . The young makers keep the keris a living cultural treasure .
Old 5th June 2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I would think that an informational post about a specific maker would be fine here as long as any contact info or suggestions of purchase take place in the swap forum.
I think that you might be right that this keris features a Chinese kilin rather than a Japanese kirin.
That would make sense considering Indonesia's large population of Chinese .
We can see Chinese motifs expressed on Maduran and other hilts .
Old 5th June 2008, 03:01 PM   #11
rasjid

Default New member

Dear All,

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not selling the keris as mention by Alamshah, this is my private collection. The maker, Huri, is famous for his kilin design. The scabbard is full one solid wood (kemuning wood) made by Jaknal (madura as well, but he is base in Jakarta). Jaknal engraved most my ivory collections, refer to my website.

PenangsangII, I'm not sure the material used but definitely not meteorit as its hard to get. I will try to get some more info. Madura keris mostly use old rail way, spring from old trucks and even alloy or nickel from car/motorbike rims. As far as I know, Madura already become a specialized industry: the 'pande' who make the blade material, the keris maker, scabbard, etc all done by different people.

I hope I can visit Central Java or Madura mid July and see them direct in action.

thanks

Last edited by rasjid; 5th June 2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typos
rasjid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Alam Shah

Rick, David, thanks for the clarifications.
Hope to share some cultural info on the wearing styles of keris in Malay Peninsular... etc, later on.
Old 5th June 2008, 06:32 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasjid
I hope I can visit Central Java or Madura mid July and see them direct in action.
If so. please take lots of photos.
Old 5th June 2008, 06:32 PM   #14
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Rick, David, thanks for the clarifications.
Hope to share some cultural info on the wearing styles of keris in Malay Peninsular... etc, later on.
That would be very cool indeed Shahrial!