Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th March 2017, 07:06 AM   #1
carlos

Default Mark in a plug bayonet

This is my last adquisition. A beautiful plug bayonet, with 38 cm of total length.
In the blade has engraved a horse with wings
Could you help me to identify maker and origin?
Thanks in advance.

Carlos
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 03:28 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Nice bayoneta de taco, Carlos.
Have you acquired it from a Spanish seller, so that it could be Spanish ? The mark on the ricasso should help identifying its maker and origin but, unfortunately, this symbol doesn't figure in the great work THE PLUG BAYONET By R.D.C. Evans. Still the key to trace it is the pegaso (pegasus) mark on the blade.
You might wish to try and contact Shawn Gibson ( shawnkgibson@yahoo.com ). He knows a lot about these things.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 06:13 PM   #3
carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Nice bayoneta de taco, Carlos.
Have you acquired it from a Spanish seller, so that it could be Spanish ? The mark on the ricasso should help identifying its maker and origin but, unfortunately, this symbol doesn't figure in the great work THE PLUG BAYONET By R.D.C. Evans. Still the key to trace it is the pegaso (pegasus) mark on the blade.
You might wish to try and contact Shawn Gibson ( shawnkgibson@yahoo.com ). He knows a lot about these things.

Thanks for the information.
Yes, I bought bayonet directly to seller, he told me that bayonet was in grandfathet´s home.
Thanks again

carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 06:46 PM   #4
Fernando K

Hello

The horse's tail is very elaborate and for me it indicates that the date of manufacture is recent, for another when the hunting bayonet is no longer used, because of the modernity of the weapons

Affectionately. Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with both Fernando's,
The 'pegasus' does not appear as far as I know in older nor even newer makers repertoire, however it is tempting to consider that it may be a relatively modern allusion to the fantastic horses used in marks of old.
These were sea horses (in broad variation) as well as unicorns, the latter well known in European folk lore as well as Eastern considerations as a protective medium.
The plug bayonet remained in use in Spain and Portugal until modern times long after its use as a bayonet proper ceased. It was considered a key hunting arm simply as a knife but retaining its traditional plug shape.

I agree as well that Shawn Gibson would be a great contact, he is president of the bayonet collectors and very nice and extremely knowledgeable guy. Unfortunately we lost Roger Adams last year, or I would have highly recommended him, he was the 'go to' guy for bayonets as long as I can remember, and never hesitated to respond to queries.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote