Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st November 2014, 05:25 PM   #1
Kinikini

Default SUPERB SALI

HERE ARE SOME PIC'S OF A TRULY BEAUTIFUL OLD SALI IN MY COLLECTION IT WAS FOUND BY A LOCAL FAMILY IN THEIR LOFT APPROX 20 YEARS AGO AND I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO BUY IT.. THE NATURAL COLOUR/PATINA IS SUPERB. THE BLADE SHOWS SIGNS OF IMPACT (DENTS) THAT WERE MADE WHILE THE WEAPON WAS STILL SOFT ENOUGH TO DENT RATHER THAN CHIP THE DEEPLY INCISED PATTERN. THE POLISHED PANELS ARE LIKE GLASS WITH A DEEP RED COLOUR. THE PATTERNS ON THE HANDLE/SHAFT APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN "PUNCHED" RATHER THAN CUT OR SCRATCHED. AND THE FACE OF THE BLADE HAS BEEN "CARVED" USING PRIMITIVE TOOLS PROBABLY STONE. IT IS A WONDERFUL THING TO HOLD AND OOZES MANA. THE PICTURES DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE.
Attached Images

Kinikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2014, 08:28 PM   #2
kronckew

nice.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2014, 09:15 PM   #3
LJ

I can't remember seeing tavatava like this before. Usually, I read it as zigzag lines, but looks like it has been conceived as a series of triangles (as you say, they have been punched.

I have however seen one sali with that diced pattern on the cheek - that one was probably brought from the Pacific in the early 1840s and was similarly a large and heavy example.
LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2014, 03:40 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE CARVING TECHNIQUES I SEE ARE CHIP CARVING AND INCISED LINE CARVING. VERY WELL DONE. LIKELY POLISHED WITH CORAL SAND OR LAVA SAND? TO FINISH IT. A VERY FINE SALI OF THE CLASSIC FORM WITH MORE CARVING THAN IS USUALLY SEEN WITH SUPER PATINA AND OLD WEAR DAMAGE. ITS UNUSUAL TO HAVE THAT MUCH LIME INLAY STILL PRESENT YOU WERE INDEED LUCKY TO RESCUE THIS CLUB FROM STORAGE IN A SHED FOR YOUR COLLECTION.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2014, 11:23 AM   #5
colin henshaw

A fine club - congratulations.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote