Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th December 2018, 07:01 PM   #1
kahnjar1

I do not believe that this gun is Tunisian or in fact North African. The "boxy" butt profile IMHO is all wrong for that region.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I do not believe that this gun is Tunisian or in fact North African. The "boxy" butt profile IMHO is all wrong for that region.
Stu
Ok I own you some explanations.
Yes the butt / stock is probably Turkish or from the Balkans.
The lock is Sardinian according to Tirri but I think more at a Spanish or a Portuguese lock. The decoration is pure Tunisian.
Now if you don't have it, buy Elgood's book on the Balkans, he explains how Ottoman guns were exported to North Africa and Tunisia and fitted for the local market.
So yes this gun is Tunisian but with some pieces from all over the Meditteranean. Look at the so-called Ottoman Balkans guns they are fitted with Italian lock and canons, but they are not Italians...
I hope that I manged to convince you...
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2018, 08:12 PM   #3
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Ok I own you some explanations.
Yes the butt / stock is probably Turkish or from the Balkans.
The lock is Sardinian according to Tirri but I think more at a Spanish or a Portuguese lock. The decoration is pure Tunisian.
Now if you don't have it, buy Elgood's book on the Balkans, he explains how Ottoman guns were exported to North Africa and Tunisia and fitted for the local market.
So yes this gun is Tunisian but with some pieces from all over the Meditteranean. Look at the so-called Ottoman Balkans guns they are fitted with Italian lock and canons, but they are not Italians...
I hope that I manged to convince you...
Hi Kubur,
If you refer to the original question by Eftihis, he is asking where this gun ORIGINATES. It may have Tunisian decoration but that does not answer his question.
The lock on the subject gun is not Sardinian. I show here pics of the lock on my Sardinian gun and you will see that it is entirely different from that on Eftihis' gun, and YES I do have Elgood's book on Greek/Balkan guns and note that the Ottomans and indeed many countries exported guns.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 12:21 AM   #4
Fernando K

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/search...archid=1178539

Hello

The lock is Portuguese, product of export, or recycling of the lock of some weapon

Affectionately
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 12:25 AM   #5
Fernando K

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=Fecho

Hola

Perdon por la confusion
Old 12th December 2018, 10:34 AM   #6
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/search...archid=1178539

Hello

The lock is Portuguese, product of export, or recycling of the lock of some weapon

Affectionately
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
The lock is Sardinian according to Tirri but I think more at a Spanish or a Portuguese lock.
Agreed! I remember the excellent discussion that you had with Rick about these locks
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 11:47 AM   #7
Fernando K

Hello

Here is an image of a sardinian lock, already uploaded in this forum

Affectionately
Attached Images

Old 13th December 2018, 03:58 PM   #8
rickystl

Hi Eftihis

That is a very interesting musket. As Stu mentioned, the stock shape is done very much in Ottoman/Turkish fashion. But as Kubur mentioned, the decoration does indeed remind me of Tunisian. The lock is definitely a Portuguese variant. Probably made for export. And the Link provided above which included Philip's comprehensive post is most helpful.

Eftihis: Could you post a close-up photo of the lock ? If possible, an outside, inside, and top views ?

Again, a really nice and interesting shoulder gun. Could have been made for a Tunisian customer using a variety of parts available.

Here is a pic of the later made, cheap quality copies made for the African continent. This one is in working order, but took some work. LOL

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote