Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th July 2011, 02:42 AM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile NORTH WEST COAST WHALEBONE CLUB

A VERY WELL MADE WHALEBONE CLUB CLOSED ON EBAY A WHILE BACK. IT IS A LOT NICER AND MORE DECORATIVE THAN MOST AND WORTH A LOOK.
A ORIGINAL OR A REPLICA NO WAY TO KNOW FOR SURE FROM PICTURES BUT ANYONE COLLECTING IN THE N.W. INDIAN ART FIELD WOULD HAVE TO BE SURE AS THESE ARE EXPENSIVE.
IT IS 22.5 IN. LONG X3.5 WIDE X .75 IN. THICK.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 03:20 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default no expert

Nice images and thanks for sharing.

I am no expert on items from these regions but I'd step up and say it looks perfectly fine to me based on the images alone and seperation of wear and patina in the hand area...though I would have expected it to be a more grey colour..... someone might be able to explain the nature of this colour??

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 06:03 AM   #3
fearn

Maybe it's from a Steller's Sea Cow?

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 06:51 AM   #4
asomotif

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Maybe it's from a Steller's Sea Cow?

F
It caught my attention too.
Similar pattern. no spongy parts yet.
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 03:13 PM   #5
fearn

More seriously, I think it was stained. See below. Notice how the interior of the hole is white?

F
Attached Images

Old 7th July 2011, 05:39 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

ANYTHING THAT IS IN DEMAND AND BRINGS A HIGH PRICE IS THE MOST LIKELY TO BE FAKED AND OFFERED FOR SALE AS THE REAL THING. WHEN FAKEING A ITEM YOU WANT TO FAKE THE BEST QUALITY HIGH END EXAMPLES AS THEY ARE MORE ATTRACTIVE AND WILL BRING THE HIGHEST PRICE.
THIS ITEM FITS WITH THAT ASSESMENT ,BUT IT WOULD TAKE AN EXPERT ACTUALLY HANDELING IT TO BE SURE OF ITS AUTHENITY. THE HOLE BEING PERFECTLY ROUND LIKE THAT, MADE BY A MODERN DRILL?? WOULD BE A TIP OFF AS WELL AS THE DIFFERENCE IN COLOR. THE CLUB WOULD HAVE HAD TO HAVE BEEN STAINED AFTER THE CARVING WAS DONE. ABALONE SHELL DRIES, GETS CHALKY AND LOSES ITS COLOR AFTER MANY YEARS UNLESS IT HAS BEEN KEPT AND MAINTAINED BY THE TRIBE. IF A OBJECT IS KEPT AND USED BY A TRIBE FROM THE DAY IT WAS MADE IT IS LIKELY ANY MISSING SHELL INLAY OR DAMMAGE TO A SACRED CEREMONIAL ITEM WOULD BE REPAIRED.
JUST A FEW OBSERVATIONS BUT BY NO MEANS A WAY TO TELL IF ITS REAL OR REPLICA FROM PICTURES. I HOPE IT IS THE REAL DEAL AND A COLLECTOR SOMEWHERE GOT A GREAT CENTERPIECE FOR HIS COLLECTION BECAUSE HE PAID WELL FOR IT.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

That hole does not look highspeed drill round. Not saying it is the real thing or not. It looks rather highly decorated compered to told ones I have seen in museums. People have drilled round holes without industrial help. If the bone is from a big whale then certain bones would have a thick layer of compact bone. Small whales would have a thin layer of compact bone over the spongiform structure not thick enough to make objects like this.

This link is quite helpful.
http://what-when-how.com/marine-mamm...arine-mammals/
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 09:45 PM   #8
fearn

There appears to be some sponge visible at the bottom of the hole, at least in the enlargement.

F