Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th February 2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Ferguson

Default Questions on a Tenegre

Hello friends,
I found this Tenegre on Ebay. Had to repair the horn guard, and replace the missing tip on the scabbard. The chisel ground, right handed blade is monosteel, the hilt is wood, the ferrule has a seam in it. The carved scabbard is a reddish wood. The scabbard throat is rawhide. Dimensions are: Overall 25 1/4", Blade 19 1/4". Blade thickness is .250" (6.43mm).
All comments are welcomed, and I have the following questions.
1. I figure the age as post WWII. What do you think?
2. Given the scabbard is not the typical Visayan squared off design, where was it made?
3. I had to guess at the shape of the scabbard tip. Am I close? (the color of the wood tip looks much redder in the pictures than it is)

Thanks for all of your opinions!
Steve

Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Hi Steve, (aka "Tito Gunong"),

Yes I agree this is Visayan and perhaps around WWII. I have seen some of these even pre-WWII with pointed scabbards. I wonder if is a little pre-WWII. nice piece based on the quality of the carvings and the horn guard.

Nacho and Migueldiaz could tell you more.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 05:11 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello TiTo Gunongo,
I can't believe that I missed this on ebay, was it a recent purchase? No matter, it is a great piece with good carving on the hilt and scabbard. The pointed tip scabbards like this one I will leave to the experts to determine the age of, though I have seen pieces like this that were purported to be of pre WWII origin. Regardless I would have loved to added it to my own collection. My congratulations on a very nice addition to your own.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Sajen

Hello Steve,

nice Tenegre and I am the second one who would be happy to have it in his own collection!
I wonder if the original tip of the scabbard may have been from brass too?

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 05:54 AM   #5
migueldiaz

hi, steve. nice sword. congrats! nacho is the expert on visayan swords. while waiting for his comments --

[1] i tend to agree that it's post ww2 given the scabbard tip's pointy design (my comment is not based on field research, but based on similar hilts here and here both of which sport the ww2 victory symbol);

[2] as to where the scabbard was made, i think it's still panay where the blade is from;

[3] presumably it had an extra long nose or horn; that would make it then a taribong, i.e., the talibong or sanduko used by panay highlanders called panay bukidnon; and

[4] as to the sword's name, based on nacho's info as posted here, it is called a wala-pilak taribong (i.e., a taribong that has no silver).

regards.
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Ferguson

Oh my. I just realized that I hadn't posted to this thread to thank you all for your replies. So thank you all for your comments!

Jose, thank you as always!

Robert, I won it at the end of January. It was a "sleeper".
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Sajen, I don't think it was brass. The end of the scabbard tip is serrated like it was meant to be crimped onto a piece of horn or wood. Also there was no solder on it. But there is no way to be sure. I'm guessing horn, as I have another piece with a horn tip.

Migueldiaz, Thank you so much for the information!

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote