Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th March 2008, 06:52 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default Pirate swords and weapons 2

Bringing up this thread again as I've got pics on the way (Thanks again,Rick!)
024- First is of a panopoly of maritime arms with a pirate theme. Carved Indonesian chest with skulls and splay of weapons. Yes, I'm eat up with Age of Fighting Sail/maritime/pirates
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 08:16 AM   #2
RSWORD

Nice display Mark!
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 12:45 PM   #3
M ELEY

023- Here's a nice grouping of swords/cutlasses of the period. Will show more of each later.
Old 25th March 2008, 12:57 PM   #4
M ELEY

Default Boarding pistols!

021- I've never been much into firearms, but these 2 really had an impact on me. The top is a British boarding pistol from 1780-1800 period, brass octogonal barrel with proof marks, boxlock flintlock, Water's patent spring-loaded bayonet. Moore's Amer Rev book has several pictured. These butt-kickers were good for storming another's ship or reducing a threat of mutiny. The blunderbus barrel allowed for horrible damage close up...
The other boarding pistol is Belgian made with ELG marks, ca 1810 flintlock with a huge bore (?.69). This would be the one someone would purposely stuff iron shavings, tacks, old coins, etc, down to create a shrapnel effect. Note the lanyard ring to attach a rope to prevent the pistol being swept over the side in the heat of battle. Likewise, no ramrod or place for one...these were a one-shot deal!
Old 25th March 2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

WOW! Very nice display Mark! I can picture you in there with a bottle of rum and waving a cutlass
The cutlass there with the fluted ebony grip is identical to one I have that has a 'Montmorency' cross section blade which is marked 'wooley & deakin' (dates to years 1801-1803). This form of brass hilt sabre was also made I believe by Durs Egg in England at the same time. Interesting that the ebony grip as well as the blade form carrys French influence, something that seems to have been reflected in James Wooley's work from the time of the M1788 sabres.
My sabre is relatively short for a cavalry sabre, so I had suspected it might have been a maritime weapon, as well of course as the brass mounts.

Thanks so much for the jump start on this topic Mark!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 11:31 PM   #6
RSWORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
021- I've never been much into firearms, but these 2 really had an impact on me. The top is a British boarding pistol from 1780-1800 period, brass octogonal barrel with proof marks, boxlock flintlock, Water's patent spring-loaded bayonet. Moore's Amer Rev book has several pictured. These butt-kickers were good for storming another's ship or reducing a threat of mutiny. The blunderbus barrel allowed for horrible damage close up...
The other boarding pistol is Belgian made with ELG marks, ca 1810 flintlock with a huge bore (?.69). This would be the one someone would purposely stuff iron shavings, tacks, old coins, etc, down to create a shrapnel effect. Note the lanyard ring to attach a rope to prevent the pistol being swept over the side in the heat of battle. Likewise, no ramrod or place for one...these were a one-shot deal!
Pics added
Attached Images

Old 26th March 2008, 05:35 AM   #7
M ELEY

Jim, thanks for the input on that sword. I've always thought of them as a British NCO m1790 model, was unaware that Wooley produced them. Wooley & Deakin produced other types of naval swords, specifically the M1803 boarding cutlass (in one of my pics coming up). Jim, if you have one with this maker and a shorter blade, there is a definate possibility it might have seen duty as a "private purchase" naval sword. Very interesting!
Old 25th March 2008, 11:30 PM   #8
RSWORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
023- Here's a nice grouping of swords/cutlasses of the period. Will show more of each later.
Pics added.
Attached Images