Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th May 2015, 04:30 AM   #1
DaveS

Default Omani Kattara with medieval-style crossguard

Here for viewing is a Omani kattara with what looks to be a middle-ages style of crossguard. The blade is 32 inches long, and almost 2 inches wide at the widest point. It has a short shallow fuller and the point is rounded like a takouba. The blade is razor sharp and very flexible. There are marks on both sides (makers marks-?). The crossguard was absolutely fitted to the blade at the time everything was fitted together. the handle is wrapped with some kind of black tape. Except for the one style that has very short turned down quillens has anyone seen this type of guard on a kattara?............Dave
Attached Images

DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 08:38 AM   #2
Iain

Hi Dave,

It very much looks to me that someone removed the pommel off the kattara, fitted the new guard and put it all back together to imitate a western 'knightly' sword.

Haven't seen it done to a kattara before but its quite typical with kaskara.

Certainly it doesn't strike me as something done in Oman.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS
Here for viewing is a Omani kattara with what looks to be a middle-ages style of crossguard. The blade is 32 inches long, and almost 2 inches wide at the widest point. It has a short shallow fuller and the point is rounded like a takouba. The blade is razor sharp and very flexible. There are marks on both sides (makers marks-?). The crossguard was absolutely fitted to the blade at the time everything was fitted together. the handle is wrapped with some kind of black tape. Except for the one style that has very short turned down quillens has anyone seen this type of guard on a kattara?............Dave

Salaams DaveS, I thought I had seen it all but your medieval theatrical sword is a star performer in this regard. As indicated by Iain this is a fit up with a strange European crossguard. I wonder what is under the masking tape... I think it is as a sword not a bad looking stage prop ....The blade marks look OK and appear to be a Cross and Orb and a Passau wolf commonly crudely inscribed with a chisel and mallet to Omani blades... This is an Omani Dancing Sword and I note very flexible ...It is therefor an Omani Sayf or Dancing Sword. The date of such blades is locked in to not earlier than 1804(Said the Great) and up to the current period.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 27th May 2015 at 02:42 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 01:18 AM   #4
DaveS

Ibrahiim-Iain: This is what i kinda thought. The fitting of the guard is very good though, like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing,not just a quick chop job. I wonder what type of sword this guard might have come from originally. looks european to me............Dave.
Old 28th May 2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Kubur

I love the black tape....seriously...
You should have a look to see under and if you remove this guard you will have a descent kattara, then it will be up to you to dance with it or not as Ibrahim suggested...
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 10:07 AM   #6
Iain

Quote:
Ibrahiim-Iain: This is what i kinda thought. The fitting of the guard is very good though, like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing,not just a quick chop job. I wonder what type of sword this guard might have come from originally. looks european to me............Dave.
The guard unfortunately does not strike me as particularly old. I would suspect it is fairly modern from a reproduction or re-enactment sword. Or made particularly for this rehilt project.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 03:13 AM   #7
DaveS

Thanks guys for all your input. I have to admit i'm seriously thinking of removing that black tape, getting rid of the crossguard an rewrapping with twisted silver wire.................Dave.
Old 29th May 2015, 06:04 AM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Thanks guys for all your input. I have to admit i'm seriously thinking of removing that black tape, getting rid of the crossguard an rewrapping with twisted silver wire.................Dave.

Salaams DaveS ..There are plenty of examples of wire decoration on this type of sword and you may also consider a silver cuff which is also missing but which can be seen on Library also... The Omani name for this sword is Sayf or Saif....(whereas the curved type is called a Kattara)...In each case the hilts are virtually identical and in the long Omani hilt style. You may discover either leather under the masking tape or a wooden arrangement...and you can either use silver wire or leather to recover the wood...and consider the silver cuff.

Please see The Omani Sayf. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=Omani+swords

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote