Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th September 2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Iain

Default African knife/short sword - ID?

Not mine I'm afraid as I got sniped on the auction. Still I thought I'd post it up here as I have no clue what it is! Apparently in a Danish collection since the 1920s so at least that old... West African of some sort I would guess? 70cm or 27.5 inches overall according to the description...
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

This is West African. Elements like the guard are similar to these.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...3&page=2&pp=30
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Iain

Thanks Tim, it caught my eye because I hadn't recalled seeing anything with such a thick wide blade. The examples you linked to are certainly more elegant!
Old 24th September 2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a Dahomean 'hwi' as described in "African Arms and Armour" (Spring) and from "Sabres Decores du Dahomey" by Palau Marti (Objets et Mondes, 1967, plate attached).
I have one like this but with brass hilt, the blade about same length but with stepped (yelman) and I believe a nagan type wavy motif inscribed. It seems like the research led to probably Vodun or similar West African folk religion with python worship. The item was virtually identical to an example in a Belgium museum (collected by French officer in Dahomey I believe c.1860s). These large knife/swords were worn in degree it seems, by the intriguing units of 'Amazons', the female warriors of the king.
There seems to be a range of variations in these Dahomean and West African edged weapons, with the plate from Marti showing a few.

The blade on this one looks pretty much earlier 19th century vintage but the hilt seems replacement Interesting that the dentated semicircle linear motif resembles the sickle marks paired on trade blades prevalent in trade spheres.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 07:51 AM   #5
colin henshaw

I agree with Tim - West African - probably Dahomey/Yoruba. An interesting piece.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Kipinga50

Arrow

Yes, this sword is attributed to people Fon of Dahomey, its shape is typical of this ethnic group.
Kipinga50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Iain

Thanks everyone - had I known a little more about it I might have bid more! The range of shape and styles these seem to come in is fascinating.