Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd November 2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Spunjer

Default What Exactly is a 'Wallhanger'?

seems like the term wallhanger means bad. what exactly does it means when you guys mention that such and such sword is a wallhanger? i mean if it means bad, how, pray tell, would you display your favorite sharp thingies? now im started to feel uneasy about some of my swords because they are hanging on the wall as we speak. it might not be VVV or Dajak quality, but nevertheless, at one point someone wore it around their waist and whoever he was, that person was happy with it. i bet you he hung the sword before he retire as well.
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 12:33 PM   #2
VVV

I think your wall looks great!
Maybe because we have the same bug?

Most collectors I know have their favourite blades on their walls (and the rest stuffed under their bed or somewhere else out of sight).
One collector I visited even built a separate quite large new house, only for his Japanese blades and armours, to have as his private museum.

As I understand wallhanger it's an expression for a blade that was specifically made for display, instead of use?
But my first language is Swedish so maybe I have misunderstood this expression?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 01:35 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

I'd say that's a pretty good definition Michael. A "wallhanger" is only good for just that. You would never want to try to use one in battle because it was just made for show, it's blade is probably untempered and it would be likely to fall apart from use.
I don't think the blades on your wall would give you such a problem Ron.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Boy that picture at the center has gotten around. I have the same one hanging in my room Nice display!

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 04:35 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking

WALLHANGERS ARE AS STATED NOT FOR USE BUT PURELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF DECOR.THE WALL PLACKS FROM SPAIN WITH SHIELDS,HELMETS AND CROSSED SWORDS ARE GOOD EXAMPLES. THEY WERE MADE TO LOOK GOOD AS DECORATION BUT NOT TO SERVE AS WEAPONS. TOLEDO HAS MADE MANY SUCH ITEMS FOR MANY YEARS THEY RUN THE RANGE FROM FULL SIZE SWORDS THAT ARE QUITE BEAUTIFUL TO LOOK AT, TO SETS OF SMALL ONES FOR PUTTING YOUR OLIVE ON IN A MARTINI. THEY ARE ONLY DESIGNED TO LOOK GOOD AS DECOR FOR HOME OR OFFICE.
THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT CLASSES ONE IS HIGH GRADE REPLICAS OF ACTUAL ITEMS THEY CAN BE GUNS, SWORDS,SHIELDS,ARMOR,POLEARMS,ECT. AND LOOK VERY REAL. THERE ARE ALSO POORLY MADE REPLICAS WHICH ARE EASY TO SEE THEY ARE NOT THE REAL THING. MANY OF THE TOLEDO SWORDS HAVE LOTS OF BEAUTIFUL GOLD AND SILVER PLATEING OR SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE IT, THEY ARE PRETTY TO LOOK AT BUT OFTEN NOT REPLICAS OF AUTHENTIC EXAMPLES EVEN THOUGH THE FORMS OF WEAPONS ARE ACCURATE.
THERE ARE ALSO MANY FANTASY ITEMS WHICH ARE WALLHANGERS IN THAT THEY ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR USE. THEY ARE NOT REALLY DESIGNED FOR DECOR BUT ARE THERE FOR THE COLLECTABLES MARKET. SOME EXAMPLES WOULD BE WEAPONS FROM THE LORD OF THE RINGS MOVIES, STAR TRECK KLINGON WEAPONS,AND MANY OTHER MOVIES FEATURING EDGED WEAPONS. THE FIRST MOVIE REPLICA KNIFE I REMBER BEING MARKETED WAS THE RAMBO KNIFE FROM "FIRST BLOOD" IT MAY BE THE FATHER OF THE FANTASY HUNTING KNIFE TYPES.
THERE ARE ALSO MANY TYPES OF FANTASY WEAPONS MADE THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH MOVIES OR TELEVISION SHOWS. FANTASY WEAPONS ARE NOT COLLECTED FOR THE HISTORY, EVENTS OR SOCIETYS WHO USED THEM BUT JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NEAT LOOKING OR REPRESENT THE WEAPON OF YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE CHARACTER.
THERE ARE ALSO LOTS OF SWORDS AND ACCESSORIES MADE FOR REINACTORS SUCH AS CIVIL WAR, SCOTTISH,ECT. THEY ARE NOT SHARP OR DESIGNED FOR USE BUT ARE NOT WALLHANGERS EITHER BUT USED FOR PART OF THE COSTUME THE SAME CAN BE SAID FOR THEATRICAL PROP WEAPONS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 09:40 PM   #6
Spunjer

thanks all! so i guess a wallhanger is just an expression then, right? not necessarily what's on your wall...

yeah lew, it's a pretty cool centerpiece.

david,
lol, i hope it holds up still. well, i did use some for test cutting, so they're still reliable...

VVV,
wow, a separate building just for sword? how cool is that!

Vandoo,
i think i've seen them around, those spanish shield with swords. what actually brought this thread up was due to another website, where a person was asking about wallhanger and such. like i said, i've heard collectors mention that before, just wasn't quite sure what they meant by it, tho it sounded like it has a negative connotation.
Old 23rd November 2006, 11:58 AM   #7
Dajak

Hi Spunjer you have a nice collection

( I see some piece s that I like to put on my wall )

Overhere we mean by wallhanger an touristic piece

but Vandoo saying

WALLHANGERS ARE AS STATED NOT FOR USE BUT PURELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF DECOR

Is just right about what a wallhanger is .

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 11:10 PM   #8
Bill M

VERY nice Spunger! Would love to hang a few of those on my wall!

What is that piece right under the picture?

I don't see anything that would qualify as a "wallhanger" in the usual meaning.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 02:22 PM   #9
Spunjer

thx ben and bill...
it's a pira, btw
Old 24th November 2006, 02:29 PM   #10
LabanTayo

pira, pira on the wall, who's the sharpest of them all?

but...where's the Visayan stuff????
LabanTayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 02:52 PM   #11
Spunjer

still in the planning stage....
Old 26th November 2006, 04:46 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
WALLHANGERS ARE AS STATED NOT FOR USE BUT PURELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF DECOR.THE WALL PLACKS FROM SPAIN WITH SHIELDS,HELMETS AND CROSSED SWORDS ARE GOOD EXAMPLES. THEY WERE MADE TO LOOK GOOD AS DECORATION BUT NOT TO SERVE AS WEAPONS. TOLEDO HAS MADE MANY SUCH ITEMS FOR MANY YEARS THEY RUN THE RANGE FROM FULL SIZE SWORDS THAT ARE QUITE BEAUTIFUL TO LOOK AT, TO SETS OF SMALL ONES FOR PUTTING YOUR OLIVE ON IN A MARTINI. THEY ARE ONLY DESIGNED TO LOOK GOOD AS DECOR FOR HOME OR OFFICE.
THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT CLASSES ONE IS HIGH GRADE REPLICAS OF ACTUAL ITEMS THEY CAN BE GUNS, SWORDS,SHIELDS,ARMOR,POLEARMS,ECT. AND LOOK VERY REAL. THERE ARE ALSO POORLY MADE REPLICAS WHICH ARE EASY TO SEE THEY ARE NOT THE REAL THING. MANY OF THE TOLEDO SWORDS HAVE LOTS OF BEAUTIFUL GOLD AND SILVER PLATEING OR SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE IT, THEY ARE PRETTY TO LOOK AT BUT OFTEN NOT REPLICAS OF AUTHENTIC EXAMPLES EVEN THOUGH THE FORMS OF WEAPONS ARE ACCURATE.
THERE ARE ALSO MANY FANTASY ITEMS WHICH ARE WALLHANGERS IN THAT THEY ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR USE. THEY ARE NOT REALLY DESIGNED FOR DECOR BUT ARE THERE FOR THE COLLECTABLES MARKET. SOME EXAMPLES WOULD BE WEAPONS FROM THE LORD OF THE RINGS MOVIES, STAR TRECK KLINGON WEAPONS,AND MANY OTHER MOVIES FEATURING EDGED WEAPONS. THE FIRST MOVIE REPLICA KNIFE I REMBER BEING MARKETED WAS THE RAMBO KNIFE FROM "FIRST BLOOD" IT MAY BE THE FATHER OF THE FANTASY HUNTING KNIFE TYPES.
THERE ARE ALSO MANY TYPES OF FANTASY WEAPONS MADE THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH MOVIES OR TELEVISION SHOWS. FANTASY WEAPONS ARE NOT COLLECTED FOR THE HISTORY, EVENTS OR SOCIETYS WHO USED THEM BUT JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE NEAT LOOKING OR REPRESENT THE WEAPON OF YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE CHARACTER.
THERE ARE ALSO LOTS OF SWORDS AND ACCESSORIES MADE FOR REINACTORS SUCH AS CIVIL WAR, SCOTTISH,ECT. THEY ARE NOT SHARP OR DESIGNED FOR USE BUT ARE NOT WALLHANGERS EITHER BUT USED FOR PART OF THE COSTUME THE SAME CAN BE SAID FOR THEATRICAL PROP WEAPONS.

Well said Vandoo!
A good explanation for this unusual sector of collectible weaponry,
see the current discussion on 1730 rapier posted by Katana as well.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 11:49 PM   #13
Spunjer

i was reading that post with interest, jim. thanks for the pointing out the thread..
Old 27th November 2006, 02:20 AM   #14
Mark

I would add a further dimension to the meaning of "wall-hanger," namely that it is a decorative weapon/item out of its cultural context. By that I mean that it is a facsimile of some sort of an actual or imagined "real" weapon, made for decorative purposes where such decorative purposes are not part of its cultural context.

Many cultures made non-functional display weapons (various West African tribes come to mind, and such things as the enormous "bearing swords" in Europe). I would not call these "wall-hangers," because being decorative is their proper cultural context and use.

The term is definately vernacular. You won't see it in any treatise or museum display.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote