Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th April 2012, 01:39 AM   #1
archer

Default Recent Jambiya and a new Khanjar

This khanjar just came in I believe it came out of an estate as it's NIB. I think it may have some age, but,no use. Is the case a presentation case or one purchased with the dagger? I'm not familiar with This type triangular belt chain at the Quba. Does it help date the dagger or it's origins? The hilt while translucent hasn't given up ant clues to its origins either. The whole dagger weighs 1 pound 5 ozs.

The unusual Yemeni? Jambiya came in yesterday. Yeah, I'm like a kid in a candy store all wired up. It is compact with a 6 1/2 inch blade three copper dots on each side. I don't recall seeing one like it before The silver is soft and oxidised it is brightening from handling.
The hilt as suspected is Rhino horn and very translucent. Is this Yemeni? Is there a separate name for this little Jambiya? Perhaps the odd chape with the fruit cluster is a clue?

Your comments, or information is sought. Thanks, Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 07:47 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Hi Steve,
Two nice pieces. The cased presentation?? one is I think likely Saudi, maybe eastern Saudi near Omani border, but I can tell you nothing more about it. The lower one which I feel I have seen somewhere before looks to be typically Hijazi (modern day Western Saudi). Agewise... the presentation one could be quite recent, maybe late 20th c unless you have some provenance. The Hijazi perhaps around 1970s.
Lets see what others think.
I have one with a similar scabbard design.
Regards Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 04:08 PM   #3
archer

Default Reply

Thank you Stu, your example the" Hjaizi" is spot on. The one in your photo is normal size this one is 12 inches overall with a smallish full size grip. Is it a boys,
or just convenient carry? I found out The cased one did come from a Beverly Hills Estate, but, the seller wouldn't divulge whose. Several Celebrities have past in the last six months mostly in their eighties. So mid 20thC on is probably it. I guess the best we can do there is pinpoint the area where it was made.
Thanks again Stu, Steve
Old 18th April 2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

see below

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 18th April 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
This khanjar just came in I believe it came out of an estate as it's NIB. I think it may have some age, but,no use. Is the case a presentation case or one purchased with the dagger? I'm not familiar with This type triangular belt chain at the Quba. Does it help date the dagger or it's origins? The hilt while translucent hasn't given up ant clues to its origins either. The whole dagger weighs 1 pound 5 ozs.

The unusual Yemeni? Jambiya came in yesterday. Yeah, I'm like a kid in a candy store all wired up. It is compact with a 6 1/2 inch blade three copper dots on each side. I don't recall seeing one like it before The silver is soft and oxidised it is brightening from handling.
The hilt as suspected is Rhino horn and very translucent. Is this Yemeni? Is there a separate name for this little Jambiya? Perhaps the odd chape with the fruit cluster is a clue?

Your comments, or information is sought. Thanks, Steve

Salaams archer ~ Excellent pictures ! If I may deal with the 7 ringer;

So where is the 7 ringer khanjar/jambiyya from? It looks almost identical to the Omani 7 ringer and must be related except of course it is the Saudia version..(but likely to be originally Yemeni) In Oman this one is referred to as Habaabi but there is no such place in Saudia called that..The root could be abha and there is an Abha in the Jazan.. very much in the bottom corner in Saudia Arabia and until relatively recently it was Yemen ... In fact the people look the same dress the same and build the same style etc etc. I have seen pictures of tribesmen wearing this style from that region. What is difficult to trace is whether the dagger style migrated or was influenced by the Omani style (elements of that design occur in all the Omani Khanjar variants including the Royal Khanjar) and that could have taken place by sea or via the overland camel train route... I have to say it is a puzzle. Of course Yemen in the shape of the disintegration of the Marib Dam between the 3rd and 6th Century AD was the source of a huge population drift from Yemen into Oman. I know a Yemeni trader here in Buraimi and intend to question him at length tomorrow.
The question of the strange chain near the Quba is that as in the Omani 7 ringer variant it is to attach to the waist belt and hold the weapon steady; normally there is a button at about that point on the belt and used as the anchor point ...
I would like to ascertain if the style stretches down the entire or part of the Red Sea coast as far as Aden, Mocha and al Hudayda The latter being a possible mistake in the translation of Habaabi??

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

P.S. translucent hilt... indicates Rhino..What we call Zraf (not giraffe). (Wahid al Garn; the one horn.. thus the Rhino) The fruit cluster which look like mini cannon balls are from the Mulberry Fruit tree that grows wild in Yemen and Oman.. This is copied onto dagger decorations and Islamic Jewellery all over the region. Ruth Hawley "Omani Silver." Refers.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 18th April 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 18th April 2012, 08:21 PM   #6
A.alnakkas

Nice one Steve, like them both.

The first one is Omani with Yemeni influence on the hilt, but I think its an all Omani production because the silver on the hilt is of Omani style. Very interesting piece I am glad you got it.

Do not think that the hilt is rhino but this type is used often on Omani items, translucent and greenish.. I have seen it many times.

The 2nd one is very interesting, I think its a child's Sabik.

Was watching both, glad that you got them so we can study them :-)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 11:36 PM   #7
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I have one with a similar scabbard design.
Hi everybody
not only you, Stu ... me ... also (pic's attached)

about the one presented by "archer" ... I'm agree with Sheikh Alnakkas
a child's Wahabite Jambiya from the Hejaz.

the khanjar ... very nice item, roughly, the same than mine
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=Saudi+khanjar
congratulations

à +

Dom
Attached Images

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 04:43 AM   #8
archer

Default More Information

Salaams Ibrahiim, I was not clear on my question the links between the quba and the belt on this one seem of less strength and I think the Rings a slightly more rounded others seem to have an inside or outside bevel to the ring. Hoping that will gives us an area and or an era. Lotfy, The smaller
Sabik--Hjaizi appears to be Rhino horn, silver backing covers a lot of end grain area. Dom, it's definite the little Jambiya has cousins. The third photo the khanjar in the glass case on the right seems to have rounder rings as well. Thank you all, Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by archer; 19th April 2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 19th April 2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Salaams Ibrahiim, I was not clear on my question the links between the quba and the belt on this one seem of less strength and I think the Rings a slightly more rounded others seem to have an inside or outside bevel to the ring. Hoping that will gives us an area and or an era. Lotfy, The smaller
Sabik--Hjaizi appears to be Rhino horn, silver backing covers a lot of end grain area. Dom, it's definite the little Jambiya has cousins. The third photo the khanjar in the glass case on the right seems to have rounder rings as well. Thank you all, Steve

Salaams archer~ In respect of the 7 ringer ~Yes I understand. The dagger is not Omani. The Quba is slightly fatter and the silver belt attachment is thin ..The rings are wrong for the Omani type. The silver work is more akin to Yemeni style "sand cast" and the decoration on the hilt is typical for the non Omani description. Its from Saudia with Yemeni influence. Probably from Faifa(sometimes spelled Fifa) in Saudia in the southern corner; Though this is under research for an exact location see the website NOTE 1. below for a reference.. Your part picture of an Omani Khanjar illustrating the rings and belt section doesnt show the hilt so I cannot say if it is the Royal or the other khanjar (Muscat) which has a tee shaped hilt on 7 rings..Show the whole item and I will tell you its provenance please.

NOTE 1; For a picture of similar go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytripsmypics/4318547823/

NOTE 2; See The Omani Khanjar for a work in progress on Omani style.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 19th April 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 19th April 2012, 07:18 PM   #10
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams archer~ In respect of the 7 ringer ~Yes I understand. The dagger is not Omani. The Quba is slightly fatter and the silver belt attachment is thin ..The rings are wrong for the Omani type. The silver work is more akin to Yemeni style "sand cast" and the decoration on the hilt is typical for the non Omani description. Its from Saudia with Yemeni influence. Probably from Faifa(sometimes spelled Fifa) in Saudia in the southern corner; Though this is under research for an exact location see the website NOTE 1. below for a reference.. Your part picture of an Omani Khanjar illustrating the rings and belt section doesnt show the hilt so I cannot say if it is the Royal or the other khanjar (Muscat) which has a tee shaped hilt on 7 rings..Show the whole item and I will tell you its provenance please.

NOTE 1; For a picture of similar go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytripsmypics/4318547823/

NOTE 2; See The Omani Khanjar for a work in progress on Omani style.
?? Check the first pic of this post.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 01:58 AM   #11
archer

Default reply

Salaams Ibrahiim, In trying to clarify I've muddled things a bit. My last post shows an older Khanjar belt attachment from an eight ringed Muscat Khanjar.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15038
I was trying to show how different the newer one is by comparison. What is the link attaching the belt to the Khanjar called? Great photo of a very proud young man and his Dagger. Thanks, Steve Oh, Checked and your right rings are cast as two joined halves. See photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by archer; 20th April 2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: add more information
Old 20th April 2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Salaams Ibrahiim, In trying to clarify I've muddled things a bit. My last post shows an older Khanjar belt attachment from an eight ringed Muscat Khanjar.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15038
I was trying to show how different the newer one is by comparison. What is the link attaching the belt to the Khanjar called? Great photo of a very proud young man and his Dagger. Thanks, Steve Oh, Checked and your right rings are cast as two joined halves. See photo.

Salaams archer ~ ... No its not confusing although of all the khanjar types in Oman this is the style that most people become unstuck upon. Many simply jump to the conclusion that because it has 7 rings it must be Omani. The fact is that it does look similar to the untrained eye. Often, however, in the case of the Saudia/Yemeni variant the body is thinner or less broad and the Quba is fatter moreover the work is different as it contains a lot of sand cast technique whereas Omani craftsmen use more chasing, embossing(repousse) and engraving. The Saudia Yemeni hilt configuration is quite distinct. What confuses the inexperienced even more is the similarity in hilt between the Yemeni and the Salalah (Dhofari Omani) khanjar but after handling a few hundred the diferences become obvious...

I remember your nice 8 ringer which is a Muscat Khanjar even though 8 rings is quite an odd configuration they do exist and differ from the Royal Khanjars by having a normal hilt (and an extra ring).

Your first picture shows another weapon with different configuration and a fatter Quba and sand castings and a strange ring set-up on a blade unknown in Oman; This weapon belongs in the Yemen/Saudia Group as illustrated by my picture previously and so far as I can deduce is from Faifa in the southern tip of Saudia that used to belong to Yemen. The similarities to this and the Royal Omani Khanjar and the Muscat variant are obvious but the precise link is undocumented as yet.

I am searching to discover the name of the securing chain (its name does not exist in any reference Ive seen) and as yet I need to interview the Yemeni souk shop-man here in Buraimi.

The interview has just been done and he confirms the above paragraphs on location for the dagger style though as well as pinpointing the Jazan in Southern Saudia he insists on using the term Hababi which though I can find no place of that name appears to be generic. He further confirms Faifa and that entire southern region as origin to that weapon. There were a few junior versions of that dagger in his store so I took a picture.

Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 20th April 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 22nd June 2012, 07:00 AM   #13
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all ~ Just swinging back doing damage control and so I can now confirm the existence of Habaabi as a place in the ballpark area known as the Fifa region, sometimes referred to as The Jazan Region (the 3rd port of KSA) and in the Yemen border encompassed by KSA in the 1920s. To ethnographic dagger enthusiasts it is also known as Habaabi when refering to daggers. Confused~ I was ~ It took me a year and a half to discover that lot. The similarities to the Royal Khanjar of Oman are remarkable thus I link its design as having migrated through trade from Muscat after the Royal Khanjar design by the Persian Princess Sheherazade for her husband Said Bin Sultan ~ The Ruler.
To link my thread The Omani Khanjar is worthwhile.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 22nd June 2012, 07:33 AM   #14
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
P.S. translucent hilt... indicates Rhino..What we call Zraf (not giraffe). (Wahid al Garn; the one horn.. thus the Rhino) The fruit cluster which look like mini cannon balls are from the Mulberry Fruit tree that grows wild in Yemen and Oman.. This is copied onto dagger decorations and Islamic Jewellery all over the region. Ruth Hawley "Omani Silver." Refers.
Salaams

The horn is not Rhino.

Best

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:05 AM   #15
spiral

Definatly Gavin!

It resembles some of the translucent horn,one sees on the modern made replicas sold by dealers from Oman to tourists & collectors. they are often treated in a manner to try to duplicate the {grainyness of rhino} {As this one has.}

{Along with the Yellow plastic ones poorly mimiking rhino horn as well of course.}

100% not rhino.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:09 PM   #16
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams ~ It came off a spotty cow !

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 24th June 2012, 07:14 AM   #17
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all / Library ~ The item is an "Habaabi".
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 24th June 2012, 09:13 PM   #18
archer

Smile Material in Sabik Hilt ??

Hi, Thank you all for for your knowledge and comments I think your rhino horn comments were toward the Khanjar. The Sabik hilt may have me fooled, so I'll ask again, the only positive sign missing is well defined orange rind at the pommel. Ibrahiim, I can't get the picture of the spotted cow with a missing horn out of my mind. Is Habaabi the name for the links that attach to the belt? Thanks, Steve
Attached Images

Old 25th June 2012, 09:05 AM   #19
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Hi, Thank you all for for your knowledge and comments I think your rhino horn comments were toward the Khanjar. The Sabik hilt may have me fooled, so I'll ask again, the only positive sign missing is well defined orange rind at the pommel. Ibrahiim, I can't get the picture of the spotted cow with a missing horn out of my mind. Is Habaabi the name for the links that attach to the belt? Thanks, Steve

Salaams archer ~ #1 picture 2 shows the cowhorn seen on the hilt of the Habaabi dagger that I would imagine is called a Jambia in that region since it is previously Yemen and now part of Saudia. Habaabi is a regional centre ... Its the name of the town. This ought not to be confused with any thoughts linking it to either a tribe or mixing it with Wahabi( A religious grouping) or Hudaudi (and which gives its name to another style The Hudaudi Jambia) which is another place not far from Habaabi. At one time I had the whole lot muddled!!

I have considered the unusual design of the Habaabi as being completely unlike any other Yemeni weapon but very very similar in most ways to the Royal Omani thus I have it lined up as an extension of that design via bouyant trade links with Zanzibar and Oman in the mid 19th C.(when it was invented by Sheherezad a wife of Said Sultan the Ruler of Oman) probably by seatrade via Jazan the main port of the region.

Rhino Horn. As I see it the rhino horn is genuine because of the translucent effect with the torchlight and the orangepeel syndrome /spaghetti end. As Spiral was saying even a redhot pin test may not be conclusive as all horn has the scent of burning hair when tested and the best test may be the visual one after Lews description of Spaghetti.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 25th June 2012, 09:37 AM   #20
spiral

That one you show is indeed rhino horn!, The first one you show in the thread isnt.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 07:50 PM   #21
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams Still after the name of the chain link...I will find out asap!

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 6th July 2012, 08:18 PM   #22
archer

Default Thanks

Quote:
Salaams Still after the name of the chain link...I will find out asap!

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Hi Ibrahiim, Thanks, I was just curious, if it comes up, Inshallah.
Kind Regards,

Steve