Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th May 2010, 12:09 AM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile MAORI SHORT CLUBS (WAHIKA FORM)

THIS FORM OF CLUB HAS EXAMPLES WITH THE MOST INTRICATE AND FLAMBOYANT CARVING. IT IS SORT OF A SIMI HOOKED WARCLUB AND SOME HAVE THE NOTCH AS FOUND ON THE KOTATAE FORM ON THE OPPOSITE EDGE FROM THE HOOK. THE HOOK SIDE OFTEN HAS A TIKI CARVED THERE AS WELL AS THE TIKI CARVED ON THE HILT END OF THE CLUB. THIS CLUB IS USUALLY MADE OF WOOD BUT WHALEBONE IS ALSO FOUND. THE SIZE RANGE IS ABOUT THE SAME AS FOR THE KOTATAE AND PATA FORMS. I HAVE INCLUDED A PICTURE OF AN EXAMPLE MADE OF JADE BUT AM NOT SURE IT IS AN OLD ONE. THERE IS ALSO AN EXAMPLE OF A CAST PLASTIC ONE. THE CAST ONES ARE USUALLY MUSEUM REPLICAS OF ESPECIALLY NICELY CARVED EXAMPLES AND ARE WELL DONE (BUT STILL PLASTIC )
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 12:30 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A FEW MORE TO ROUND IT OFF.
Attached Images

Old 24th May 2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default Beautiful

Like most NZ weapons, they are beautiful and very rarely spoken of Barry.
Thanks for bringing these into the spotlight, being in Australia I have managed to see a number of these and other types first hand.
I like the simple effective beautiful nature of these clubs, most of all the whale bone and Nephrite examples.
Like 90% of NZ artifacts that are currently within the NZ borders, they stay there and if ever exported it is under licence/treaties with heavy penalties for abusing this privilege. It is no wonder Maori weapons outside of NZ fetch such a premium when one considers the history, beauty, borders and restrictions.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 05:21 AM   #4
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Like most NZ weapons, they are beautiful and very rarely spoken of Barry.
Thanks for bringing these into the spotlight, being in Australia I have managed to see a number of these and other types first hand.
I like the simple effective beautiful nature of these clubs, most of all the whale bone and Nephrite examples.
Like 90% of NZ artifacts that are currently within the NZ borders, they stay there and if ever exported it is under licence/treaties with heavy penalties for abusing this privilege. It is no wonder Maori weapons outside of NZ fetch such a premium when one considers the history, beauty, borders and restrictions.

Gav
It should also be noted that a lot of Maori artifacts held in overseas museums/collections are being repatriated by the Tribes concerned.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 09:43 AM   #5
migueldiaz

Vandoo, thanks for posting the pics!

Would you and the others have any idea on what they engravings on the club represent? I have no idea but would be interested in finding out what those symbolisms are all about.

Thanks in advance one and all
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default Great news

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
It should also be noted that a lot of Maori artifacts held in overseas museums/collections are being repatriated by the Tribes concerned.
Stu
Thanks great news Stu,
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 02:19 AM   #7
Nathaniel

Smile

Beautiful Wood & Jade Carvings...
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 01:06 AM   #8
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A FEW CHIEF'S WITH WAHIKA CLUBS
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2016, 08:09 PM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

PICTURES #1. THRU #7 GOOD OLD EXAMPLES
#8. & #9. ARE RECENTLY MADE JADE PRESENTATION CLUBS. THE WAHAIKA IS TRADITIONALLY MADE OF WOOD OR WHALE BONE. THE OLD TRADITIONAL PATU IS MADE OF (JADE WHICH MAKES IT A MERE) OR OTHER TYPES OF STONE OR WHALE BONE, WOOD MAY HAVE BEEN USED IF YOU COULD NOT ACQUIRE ONE MADE OF THE OTHER MORE DESIRABLE MATERIALS. AS IN OTHER POSTS SOME OTHER FORMS OF CLUBS MAY BE PRESENT.
#10. WAHAIKA IN THE CHRISTCHURCH MUSEUM.
#11. THE LOWER SPERM WHALE JAW THE PREFERRED MATERIAL TO MAKE WAR CLUBS AS IT IS MUCH DENSER AND HEAVIER THAN REGULAR WHALE BONE THE TEETH WERE USED FOR JEWELRY, INLAY AND CARVING.
#12. IS A SMALL METAL PENDENT
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 9th June 2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10th June 2016, 11:28 PM   #10
drdavid

Hi VANDOO
for what it is worth the #5th image (3 clubs held vertically on stands) shows wahaiki that are found in the Te Papa museum in Wellington, New Zealand
cheers
Drd
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 03:19 AM   #11
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I VISITED MOST OF THE LARGER MUSEUMS WHILE I WAS IN NEW ZEALAND BUT UNFORTUNATELY MY OLD CAMERA RAN OUT OF SPACE WHILE I WAS AT TE- PAPA. I TOOK A FEW PICTURES THERE BUT MOST WERE FROM THE MUSEUMS IN AUCKLAND AND CHRISTCHURCH. I BOUGHT A LITTLE CAMERA AFTER WELLINGTON. MOST MUSEUMS HAVE MUCH MORE IN STORAGE THAN ON DISPLAY SO THEY ARE KIND OF LIKE AN ICEBERG YOU CAN SEE ONLY A SMALL PART. THE WAY FOR SERIOUS RESEARCHERS TO DO IT WOULD BE TO GET PERMISSION TO STUDY THE ITEMS IN STORAGE BUT THAT TAKES MONEY, TIME AND CONNECTIONS. I ENJOYED MY TRIP AND SEEING WHAT WAS ON DISPLAY BUT MOSTLY ENJOYED SEEING THE COUNTRY . I PUT OVER 3000 KM. ON THE OLD RENT A CAR.
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:04 AM   #12
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

HERE ARE THREE UNUSUAL CLUBS THAT ARE CLOSE TO THE WAHIKA FORM. THE #1.FIRST ONE IS SMALL ONLY 9 X 4 INCHES AND IS HEAVY WOOD
#2.THE PICTURE OF TWO EXAMPLES ONE IS WOOD AND ONE IS STONE
I KIND OF WONDER IF ANY MAORI TRIBES HAD SMALL THROWING OR HUNTING CLUBS OF THIS SORT.
Attached Images

Old 28th June 2016, 04:46 AM   #13
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

HERE IS A MIXED BAG OF ALL THREE TYPES OF MAORI SHORT CLUBS ALL GOOD OLD EXAMPLES AND SOME UNUSUAL FORMS. I HAVE DONE ABOUT ALL I CAN ON NEW ZEALAND MAORI WEAPONS SO WILL CONCLUDE MY EFFORTS HERE UNTIL NEW MATERIAL BECOMES AVAILABLE. AS WITH ALL MY POSTS IF ANYONE HAS MORE MATERIAL OR INFORMATION OR NEEDS TO CORRECT MY MISTAKES FEEL FREE ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.
Attached Images