Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th March 2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Stan S.

Question Draw Cut?

Hey all,

I am somewhat embarassed to admit this but while commonly seeing a reference to a "draw cut" in various literature that describes Middle Eastern martial arts, I fail to understand what exactly it entails. I understand a slash, chop, stab, thrust, etc. but how does one perform a draw cut? Please educate me. Thanks
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Hi Stan,

It is the very first cut made on drawing the sabre from the scabbard.

Suspension in these regions typically aligns and allows for a very simple fast and effective draw in an arc that I have found usually crosses the throat.

I think Wagner offers some good diagrams on this on horseback?

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Jeff D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan S.
Hey all,

I am somewhat embarassed to admit this but while commonly seeing a reference to a "draw cut" in various literature that describes Middle Eastern martial arts, I fail to understand what exactly it entails. I understand a slash, chop, stab, thrust, etc. but how does one perform a draw cut? Please educate me. Thanks

Hi Stan,

You do a draw cut every time you cut a Tomato. The blade is drawn back as it cuts in.

Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 03:04 AM   #4
Stan S.

Gav: What happens if you miss? Does it mean that subsequent cuts are no longer draw cuts?

Jeff: Your techique may work on tomatos but not on squirming people that try to run away screaming or "draw cut" right back at you

In all seriousness, the only thing that I can picture in my mind is sort of a hack where the blade is not LIFTED from the wound but rather PULLED away from it. However, in a heat of a battle thsi may not not always be possible. Am I missing something?
Old 13th March 2012, 06:58 AM   #5
fearn

Jeff's right. It's how you cut a tomato, or use a saw.

The basic point is that your arms move in an arc when you cut with a sword.

If you cut straight down, that's the classic cut. If it's short and sharp, it's a hack. If you put your back into it, you're chopping.

But remember, a cut is a straight line motion, and your arms are moving in arcs.

If you have a curved blade (or even a straight blade angled right), you will be pulling backwards on the blade to slice through your target at the bottom of the arc.

If you think of this in terms of wood, it's the difference between using an axe to cut a branch, or a saw to slice through it.

My 0.0002 cents,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Jeff's right. It's how you cut a tomato, or use a saw.

The basic point is that your arms move in an arc when you cut with a sword.

If you cut straight down, that's the classic cut. If it's short and sharp, it's a hack. If you put your back into it, you're chopping.

But remember, a cut is a straight line motion, and your arms are moving in arcs.

If you have a curved blade (or even a straight blade angled right), you will be pulling backwards on the blade to slice through your target at the bottom of the arc.

If you think of this in terms of wood, it's the difference between using an axe to cut a branch, or a saw to slice through it.

My 0.0002 cents,

F
This makes sence. Also goes well together with a fighting technique of keeping the sword almost vertical and doing what looks like boxing with a sword and a buckler. I guess the emphasis is on striking without slowing down or breaking the rythm. This would require a very sharp blade and well developed shoulder/upper arm muscles for sure...
Old 16th March 2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Lew
(deceased)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KGE7rk0QjOXIKw

This link should help

Basically the blade is pulled or drawn across the target instead of a hacking/chopping cut.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote