Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th August 2012, 05:40 PM   #1
migueldiaz

Default Phil. items in London, Paris, & Berlin museums?

Hello all! I need some help, please Would anybody know whether there's a museum in London that has Phil. edged weapons? (I'll be there next week).

For instance, would the Victoria & Albert Museum have those, given its vast collection?

Then the week after next, I'll be in Paris and will visit Musée du quai Branly which has many Phil. items (pics att.), like these Palawan badung, Moro barungs, Moro kampilans, Moro krises, Moro armors, Moro shields, Lumad shields, Lumad armor, and many others.

Actually I'm not sure yet whether said French museum will allow me to take a look at those items, given that they appear to be in storage. But I already sent them a letter-request.

But in case there are other French museums which might have Phil. blades, then I hope somebody can post here the location/s.

After Paris, it's Amsterdam & Leiden and I already know where to go (thanks again to Arjan). Then after, it's Berlin -- would anybody know whether there's a museum there by any chance that has Phil. or Southeast Asian ethnic weapons?

And I do hope that my wife will not see this post, otherwise my hidden agenda will be exposed prematurely, and she might torpedo this Europe vacation of ours
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Nonoy Tan

I think your wife is already anticipating your agenda, hahahaha!
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 06:51 PM   #3
colin henshaw

The Pitt-Rivers Museum in Oxford is a must....
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 01:04 AM   #4
migueldiaz

@nonoy, haha. methinks now you also have tried it before, only to crash and burn levity aside, any cordillera item i'll stumble upon will surely come your way.

@colin, many thanks for the tip! will surely check it out. thanks again

lorenz
Old 13th August 2012, 02:41 AM   #5
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz
Hello all! I need some help, please Would anybody know whether there's a museum in London that has Phil. edged weapons? (I'll be there next week).

For instance, would the Victoria & Albert Museum have those, given its vast collection?

Then the week after next, I'll be in Paris and will visit Musée du quai Branly which has many Phil. items ... snip ...
Actually I'm not sure yet whether said French museum will allow me to take a look at those items, given that they appear to be in storage. But I already sent them a letter-request.

But in case there are other French museums which might have Phil. blades, then I hope somebody can post here the location/s.
Hi lorenz
all ethnographic museums in Paris or suburbs were grouped into a single one, these of the "Quai Branly"
if the museum responds to your request, you will be a very lucky person,
unfortunately in France ... those in charge of administration, are not often very available,
unless you are well introduced by influential persons ...
otherwise, if you may bring the prove that, it's a need, to carry out an academic work,
as part of studies or the support for a thesis, with the goal of a Ph.D. ...
I'm very sorry, and I'm shame to don't be very optimistic

tomorrow I gonna call them, to know, if they are answering to such special requests,
and if you'll be or not allowed to take pictures ... I think ... yes for the second point
there is not long time ago, I went for an exhibition of Arab Bedouin robes of the Middle East,
and I took all pictures as I wished, with and without flash

when do you expect to be in Paris precisely ? ... may be we'll have the opportunity to meet us, but ....
we'll be absent from mid-September to end December ... we'll be in Egypt

Quote:
And I do hope that my wife will not see this post ...
no worry, there is a solution
during your museums visit, my wife could take care of your spouse, and take her in stores ...
not those for tourists ... where they'll empty her wallet for nothing ... but where she knows where it's the cheapest,
and then together you will find yourself at home over tea, or something else
if your dates coincide with ours

all the best

à +

Dom

ps/my data by private message
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 04:24 AM   #6
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Hi lorenz

all ethnographic museums in Paris or suburbs were grouped into a single one, these of the "Quai Branly" ...
Hi Dom! Wow, super ... merci beaucoup!

Thanks for all the tips, assistance, and invitation. Much appreciated indeed! I feel better already

Yes, it looks like the museum would be unable to reply to our letter-request. Actually, it was even written in French, and signed by a retired Filipino professor (Dr. Zeus Salazar, and he's the one mentoring me, in the study of the ethnic weapons of our islands) who got his PhD in Sorbonne with flying colors. But so far, no answer still. Hence, I truly appreciate very much your plan to make the call. Many thanks in advance (regardless of the outcome). I can also send you by PM our letter in case that would somehow help in the follow-up to the museum.

We will be arrive in Paris from London, on the morning of Aug. 28 (Tue.). Then we go to Amsterdam on Aug. 31 (Fri.). Thus we are definitely free starting the afternoon of Aug. 28, and the whole days of Aug. 29 & 30. We will be traveling with our eldest daughter by the way (she's 24 years old).

Which leads us to the [off-topic] of shopping -- my wife and daughter would be ecstatic if the plan that your dear wife and them can get together! I'll just send by PM the other details.

That idea of yours is surely a Solomonic approach -- the men and the women can go off on their respective merry ways.

Aside from visiting the museum, I surely look forward with anticipation to meeting you in person, assuming the schedules would match. Am surely hoping it will.

Best wishes!

Lorenz
Old 13th August 2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Nonoy Tan

Lorenz, you may want to consider The Museum of Ethnology at Dresden. It should have specimens that were collected during the last quarter of 19th century Philippines.
Old 13th August 2012, 07:24 AM   #8
Nonoy Tan

Lorenz, I forgot to mention...

Inform the Musée du quai Branly that you are a collector from the Philippines. That might get their attention as those guys have been scouting for specimens to borrow from collectors based in the Philippines (for an exhibit they are preparing).
Old 13th August 2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoy Tan
Lorenz, I forgot to mention...

Inform the Musée du quai Branly that you are a collector from the Philippines. That might get their attention as those guys have been scouting for specimens to borrow from collectors based in the Philippines (for an exhibit they are preparing).
Thanks Nonoy
I am working on ...
today, I came into contact with them, and I'll help Lorenz as far as I may

in the meantime,
here's a link to enter virtually in the collections "Filipino" of "Quai Branly" museum
http://www.quaibranly.fr/cc/pod/resultats.aspx?b=1&t=2
sorry, if the page is in French ...

I saw, that we've in display, the integrability of the collection included for items from Philippines,
and more specially, the items who are not exhibited
all the best

à +

Dom
Old 13th August 2012, 05:11 PM   #10
migueldiaz

Quote:
Lorenz, you may want to consider The Museum of Ethnology at Dresden. It should have specimens that were collected during the last quarter of 19th century Philippines.
Nonoy, many thanks for the tip! You continue to amaze me But we have very little time in Berlin -- hence I have to figure out how to get to Dresden and back to Berlin within the same day. Thanks very much for the lead!

Quote:
Lorenz, I forgot to mention... Inform the Musée du quai Branly that you are a collector from the Philippines. That might get their attention as those guys have been scouting for specimens to borrow from collectors based in the Philippines (for an exhibit they are preparing).
This is one avenue to explore for sure. But my problem is that our email to the museum apparently did not reach them. So the contact has not been established yet. But Dom is trying his best to make the connection on our behalf. Thanks again, Nonoy.
Old 13th August 2012, 05:14 PM   #11
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Thanks Nonoy
I am working on ... today, I came into contact with them, and I'll help Lorenz as far as I may
Many thanks, Dom. And I just PM'd you our letter-request to the museum, and the attachment of the email which is written in French and signed by the Sorbonne alumnus. Appreciate very much your kind assistance!

Lorenz
Old 14th August 2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Lee
EAAF Staff

While in London, I'd be sure to check out the British Museum; as I recall they have a few Filipino things on display here and there. And I'll second the suggestion of a day trip over to Oxford for the Pitt Rivers Museum. There are also a few items displayed at the Royal Armouries if you have the time for a day trip to Leeds.
Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 05:40 PM   #13
Nonoy Tan

Hi Lorenz,

While at the British Museum, you might be interested in finding out what other stuff (aside from rare books and documents) the British took from the Philippines when they ransacked Manila during the 1760s. As far as I know, there is no documentation or inventory of these items. I would not be surprised if they also took some art works and pieces of expensive weaponry.
Old 14th August 2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Tim Simmons

While you are in town, not that far from the British Museum- walking distance {to me anyway} is the Wallace Collection. Just off Oxford Street at C&A. Knights in armour and a large Asian collection. I do not remember Phil stuff. India and Persia were more of interest to the British gentry.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 11:46 PM   #15
migueldiaz

Lee, Tim, Nonoy, great! Many thanks!!
Old 16th August 2012, 04:26 PM   #16
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
in the meantime,
here's a link to enter virtually in the collections "Filipino" of "Quai Branly" museum
http://www.quaibranly.fr/cc/pod/resultats.aspx?b=1&t=2
sorry, if the page is in French ...

I saw, that we've in display, the integrability of the collection included for items from Philippines,
and more specially, the items who are not exhibited
sorry to everybody,
I just realized that I gave a link who is not good
in fact, it is not transferable, so for Lorenz, I have prepared a tutorial
Here it is, for those are interested
thanks for your understanding

to reach the "Quai Branly" collections by internet (not easy ..) I found the pathway
(English version doesn't play) here a tutorial
in the menu of the presentation page, http://www.quaibranly.fr/ ... click on
=> BASE DE DONNÉES then from the scrolling menu, click
=> LE CATALOGUE DES OBJETS, choose "SIMPLE"
at right, the chapter "LE CATALOGUE DES OBJETS" is open,
choose, in; "SÉLECTIONNER UN GROUPE D'OBJETS"
=> COLLECTION DES OBJETS,
then, a little bit down,
=> SÉLECTIONNER UN CRITÈRE DE RECHERCHE, from there
you leave as it is; TOUS LES CRITÈRES DE RECHERCHES, then, the next at right you enter in FRENCH language (stupid site doesn't understand english request)
=> ASIE
and click on "LANCER LA RECHERCHE"
a new page open's, and you have a choise, with several continents mentionned, included
- Asie(71103) ... items
- Océanie(92) ... items
after have clicked on "Asie", you will open an other sub-chapter
- Asie centrale(505)
- Asie orientale(12309)
- Asie méridionale(19393)
- Asie du sud-est(28941)
- Asie occidentale(5366)
- Géographie physique et culturelle(3632)
- Asie septentrionale(1980)

I very, very disappointed, because I know Lorenz received a negative response from museum to gain access to reserves
- request receives too late
- holidays of the museum staff
has been the main arguments

à +

Dom
Old 16th August 2012, 05:37 PM   #17
Nonoy Tan

Thanks, Dom. You are selfless.

Do let me and Lorenz know if you will be visiting the Philippines, so we can bring you around.

Nonoy
Old 16th August 2012, 11:54 PM   #18
Dom

Quote:
Thanks, Dom. You are selfless.

Do let me and Lorenz know if you will be visiting the Philippines, so we can bring you around.

Nonoy
Thanks a lot Nonoy
in my live, I have found, some selfless persons on my way, who have help me at that time
now, I'm just doing, to return the favor (send back the "lift", as said in French )

no forecasting yet ... to visit your beautiful country, only God knows what tomorrow will be
at the opportune time, I'll let you know, my Friends, and thanks for offer me an hand up.

best regards

à +

Dom
Old 17th August 2012, 05:18 AM   #19
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

IN PARIS THERE IS AN ( AFRICAN AND OCEANIC MUSEUM) IT HAS QUITE A FEW WEAPONS BUT I DON'T KNOW IF PHILIPPINE WEAPONS ARE INCLUDED BUT THEY OFTEN ARE INCLUDED IN OCEANIC ITEMS. THE MUSEUM IS A BIT OFF THE TOURIST TRAILS BUT IS A NICE ONE.
YOU MENTIONED AMSTERDAM. OUTSIDE OF AMESTERDAN ON THE WAY TO GERMANY IS THE KROLLER MUELLER MUSEUM IT HAS AN ART MUSEM AS WELL AS A SEPARATE ARMS MUSEUM NOT SURE IF ANY PHILIPPINE ITEMS ARE ON HAND BUT THE COLLECTIONS ARE FIRST RATE.
HAVE A GOOD TRIP AND GOOD LUCK ON GAINING ACCESS TO WHAT YOU SEEK.
NEAR STRATFORD UPON THE AVON, ENGLAND IS WARWIK AND WARWIK CASTLE IT IS SORT OF A MUSEUM WITH LOTS OF WEAPONS, NO PHILIPPINE ITEMS BUT A COOL PLACE WITH A VERY CREEPY DUNGEON AS WELL AS TOWER WITH ITS OWN GHOST. THERE SHOULD BE SOME PICTURES OF THE CASTLE IN OLD FORUM POSTS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 11:14 AM   #20
migueldiaz

Dom, you are indeed super. Bless your heart!

Nonoy, yes it will be a pleasure and a great privilege to welcome Dom to our shores. Hope he drops by soon.

Barry, sir thanks very much for those tips! Will surely look for those places. But I think nothing will beat the 'Vandoo Museum' in which I had the rare privilege of seeing earlier
Old 17th August 2012, 12:24 PM   #21
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
IN PARIS THERE IS AN ( AFRICAN AND OCEANIC MUSEUM) IT HAS QUITE A FEW WEAPONS BUT I DON'T KNOW IF PHILIPPINE WEAPONS ARE INCLUDED BUT THEY OFTEN ARE INCLUDED IN OCEANIC ITEMS. THE MUSEUM IS A BIT OFF THE TOURIST TRAILS BUT IS A NICE ONE.
Good day VANDOO
you'll have to put up to date your informations, my Dear friend

since 2004, the Quai Branly Museum's collections, brings together the old ethnological collections of the museums;
- "Musée de l’Homme"
and those of
- Musée National des arts d’Afrique et d’Océanie.

The transfert of ethnographic collections to "Musée du Quai Branly" have been ended on September 30, 2004

long time you didn't visit Paris, you have to come back

regards

à +

Dom
Old 17th August 2012, 04:08 PM   #22
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

TOO TRUE ITS BEEN TOO LONG SINCE I SPENT SOME TIME IN PARIS. I HAVE TRANSITED THRU A FEW TIMES SINCE MY LAST STAY BUT DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO STOP OFF. ITS GOOD TO KNOW THEY HAVE UPDATED AND CONSOLIDATED THOSE MUSEUMS. THANKS FOR THE UPDATE I WOULD HAVE HAD A HARD TIME FINDING THE MUSEUM UNDER ITS OLD NAME.
I HOPE THEY NEVER UPDATE THEIR NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM WITH ALL THE DINOSAURS AND FOSSILS I LIKE THE OLD STYLE MUSEUMS WITH BONES EVERWHERE VERSUS THOSE WITH JUST A FEW LARGE SPECIMINS JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER MUSEUMS HAVE. I PERSONALLY THINK MORE IS BETTER AND THAT VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE AND THAT GOES FOR MUSEUMS TOO.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 01:34 AM   #23
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
TOO TRUE ITS BEEN TOO LONG SINCE I SPENT SOME TIME IN PARIS. I HAVE TRANSITED THRU A FEW TIMES SINCE MY LAST STAY BUT DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO STOP OFF. ITS GOOD TO KNOW THEY HAVE UPDATED AND CONSOLIDATED THOSE MUSEUMS. THANKS FOR THE UPDATE I WOULD HAVE HAD A HARD TIME FINDING THE MUSEUM UNDER ITS OLD NAME.
I HOPE THEY NEVER UPDATE THEIR NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM WITH ALL THE DINOSAURS AND FOSSILS I LIKE THE OLD STYLE MUSEUMS WITH BONES EVERWHERE VERSUS THOSE WITH JUST A FEW LARGE SPECIMINS JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER MUSEUMS HAVE. I PERSONALLY THINK MORE IS BETTER AND THAT VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE AND THAT GOES FOR MUSEUMS TOO.
don't be worry VANDOO, even if this "natural history museum" have been completely refurbished ... BUT
refurbished in a way that it is identical as the former;
- the huge glass-roof has been restored, that gives, a plenty natural day light
- all the collections of dinosaurs and other charming skeletons, are in their former location, indeed fossiles & Co.
type in French as following
- musée d'histoire naturelle Paris
in "http://images.google.com/"
you will not believe your eyes, you will see the same museum you've experienced, but clear and clean
what you need to do now is to come back to Paris, you'll realize for yourself
you'll be pleasantly surprised, I'm sure

all the best

à +

Dom
Old 18th August 2012, 07:08 AM   #24
migueldiaz

it turns out that pitt rivers (museum) in oxford has a very nice online database. here's some pics of phil. stuff that's in there:
Attached Images

Old 18th August 2012, 07:11 AM   #25
migueldiaz

some more pics:
Attached Images

Old 20th August 2012, 11:00 AM   #26
Maurice

Quote:
some more pics:
Lorenz, as I have nothing to contribute, THANK YOU for showing these images!

Kind Regards,
Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 06:51 PM   #27
Dom

Default A FORUMITE IN VISIT THOUGH PARIS - FRANCE

our friend Lorenz Lasco "migueldiaz", in full action, at the Ethnographic Museum in Paris
two pictures, front to the show window on the Philippines (the two first)
no tricks ... I was a witness

à +

Dom
Attached Images

Old 30th August 2012, 11:00 PM   #28
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice
Lorenz, as I have nothing to contribute, THANK YOU for showing these images!
Maurice, thanks too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
our friend Lorenz Lasco "migueldiaz", in full action, at the Ethnographic Museum in Paris
two pictures, front to the show window on the Philippines (the two first)
no tricks ... I was a witness
Dom, mon ami extraordinaire! haha, thanks for those pics. And thanks for 'Part 2' which is a briefing about Arab weapons in your most beautiful house, including access to your nice library... and not to mention feasting on the best food and wine in Paris Indeed a man couldn't ask for more!

To all -- I'll post pics later (plus links to hundreds of pics) I took at Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford (a billion thanks, too, for the most kind gentleman who arranged the access, and he knows who he is), plus the pics in British Museum (mostly Indonesian), the Wallace Collection in London (mostly Arab and Indian, on top of the usual European arms), plus some South/Southeast Asia items in the Victoria & Albert Museum (London), and a lantaka I found in Windsor Castle (which has a documentation on when and where it was captured).

Thanks again to all.
Attached Images

Old 31st August 2012, 01:29 AM   #29
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

This is one of the reasons I love this forum .
I'm so glad to see connections like this made between fellow members .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 02:09 AM   #30
Battara
EAAF Staff

Now I know what you look like Lorenz............
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote